Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:01, Michael J. Baars
<mjbaars1977.pgsql.hackers@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) I have three psql clients running, a version 12.6, a version 13.4 and a version 14.3. Until now a 'select * from
table;'showed the output in 'less' or something alike and exited from 'less' when

> the output was complete. Both version 12.6 and version 13.4 work that way. Version 14.3 does not exit from 'less'
whenthe output is complete. Did anyone notice this already?

AFAIK psql just pipes and waits ( and I've piped through some programs
of mine which could normally show bizarre behaviour if psql did
otherwise )This seems like you tuned the pager command or the default
less options, from man less:

       -e or --quit-at-eof
              Causes less to automatically exit the second time it
reaches end-of-file.   By  default,  the
              only way to exit less is via the "q" command.

       -E or --QUIT-AT-EOF
              Causes less to automatically exit the first time it
reaches end-of-file.
<<<

This can come from a variety of sources, see man less, search for lesskey, ...

Check also PAGER and PSQL_PAGER, and .psqlrc and friends, you may have
some things there.

Francsico Olarte.