Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/25/22 10:37 AM, Michael J. Baars wrote:

Reply to list also
Ccing list

> Use 'man more', manual pages are your friend.

I did, I just picked the wrong version. Got an the manual for ancient
version of more.

>     "Normally, less doesn't quit until you type "q". You can make it
>     quit as
>     soon as it reaches the end of the file by using the -E option. However,
>     many (but not all) people prefer to have less remain active until they
>     explicitly quit, because they might wish to back up and look at earlier
>     parts of the file again. "
>

> Scroll-back buffers do not work using less as the psql piping command.
> Try more, talk less, Adrian.

As far back as I can remember they have. When I work with Postgres I
live in psql. Not only can I scroll forward and backward I can use vim
shortcuts gg(start of buffer), G(end of file),  /<search term>. j(cursor
down one line), k(up one line), etc.

>     I'm betting that between Fedora 35 and 36 the project changed the
>     configuration of `less` to follow the normal pattern.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com