Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Justin Pryzby
Date:
Moving to -general list (-hackers is for development topics like proposed
patches and patch reviews and beta testing and crash reports).

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:13:58AM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> could not load library "$libdir/pg_reorg":
> ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/pg_reorg": No such file or directory

As Sergei said, you can run pg_dump -s and look for references to reorg, and
drop them.

Or, you could try this:
CREATE EXTENSION pg_reorg FROM unpackaged;

Or maybe this:
CREATE EXTENSION pg_repack FROM unpackaged;

If that works, you can DROP EXTENSION pg_repack;

Otherwise, I think you can maybe do something like:
DROP SCHEMA pg_repack CASCADE; -- or,
DROP SCHEMA pg_reorg CASCADE;

Please send output of: \dn

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Thanks.Will decently try that option and keep you posted.

Thanks again for redirecting to right group.

Perumal Raju

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019, 6:51 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
Moving to -general list (-hackers is for development topics like proposed
patches and patch reviews and beta testing and crash reports).

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:13:58AM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> could not load library "$libdir/pg_reorg":
> ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/pg_reorg": No such file or directory

As Sergei said, you can run pg_dump -s and look for references to reorg, and
drop them.

Or, you could try this:
CREATE EXTENSION pg_reorg FROM unpackaged;

Or maybe this:
CREATE EXTENSION pg_repack FROM unpackaged;

If that works, you can DROP EXTENSION pg_repack;

Otherwise, I think you can maybe do something like:
DROP SCHEMA pg_repack CASCADE; -- or,
DROP SCHEMA pg_reorg CASCADE;

Please send output of: \dn

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Hi Justin

I could see bunch of functions under reorg schema.

AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_disable_autovacuum';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_get_index_keys';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_apply';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_drop';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_indexdef';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_swap';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_trigger';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_version';

I am not sure about the impact of these functions if i drop .

Are these functions seeded ( default) one ?

Regards,

Date:
On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 01:37:30PM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> I could see bunch of functions under reorg schema.

Those functions are the ones preventing you from upgrading.
You should drop schema pg_reorg cascade.
You can run it in a transaction first to see what it will drop.
But after the upgrade, you can CREATE EXTENSION pg_repack, which is a fork of
pg_reorg, which is itself no longer maintained.

Justin

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Hi Justin

Does it mean that these functions are default and came with 9.2 ?
I am wondering how these functions are created in the DB as the library($libdir/pg_reorg)  is not exists in system

Note:
My schema name is reorg not pg_reorg

Date:
On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 02:21:11PM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> Does it mean that these functions are default and came with 9.2 ?
> I am wondering how these functions are created in the DB as the
> library($libdir/pg_reorg)  is not exists in system

I don't think it's default.
But was probably installed by running some SQL script.

It tentatively sounds safe to me to drop, but you should take a backup and
inspect and double check your pg_dump output and output of "begin; drop schema
pgreorg cascade".

Justin

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Sergei Kornilov
Date:
Hi

seems this is unpackaged extension, usually installed prior 9.1 release. Maybe reorg even does not support "create
extension"syntax. That was long ago and project homepage is unavailable now. pg_repack documentation mention "support
forPostgreSQL 9.2 and EXTENSION packaging" as improvements.

> Are these functions seeded ( default) one ?

No its not default.

regards, Sergei

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Thanks Sergei/Justin for the continues update.

So reorg Schema might be created as part of some scripts prior to 9.2 Version ?
These are the functions in DB not the Extension. However these functions will not run as the associated libraries are not exists in System now (9.2) and I hope no impact to system.

AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_disable_autovacuum';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_get_index_keys';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_apply';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_drop';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_indexdef';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_swap';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_trigger';
AS '$libdir/pg_reorg', 'reorg_version';

Will continue 9.6 upgrade after dropping reorg schema.

One Question need your address,

Prior to 9.2 to 9.6 upgrade , I have tried 9.2 10.7 upgrade and failed similar error(you can refer beginning o the post ).

> could not load library "$libdir/hstore": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/hstore": No such file or directory
> could not load library "$libdir/adminpack": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/adminpack": No such file or directory
> could not load library "$libdir/uuid-ossp": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/uuid-ossp": No such file or directory

These Extension seems to be standard. What is the use of these function and do we have any alternative in Higher version or Enhanced object if i drop it in 9.2 and continue upgrade to 10.7 Version.

Thanks and Regards,

Date:
On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:09:12AM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> Thanks Sergei/Justin for the continues update.
>
> So reorg Schema might be created as part of some scripts prior to 9.2
> Version ?

I'm guessing they were probably created in 9.2.

> These are the functions in DB not the Extension. However these functions
> will not run as the associated libraries are not exists in System now (9.2)
> and I hope no impact to system.

I guess someone installed pgreorg, ran its scripts to install its functions
into the DB, and then removed pgreorg without removing its scripts.

> One Question need your address,
>
> Prior to 9.2 to 9.6 upgrade , I have tried 9.2 10.7 upgrade and failed
> similar error(you can refer beginning o the post ).
>
> > could not load library "$libdir/hstore": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/hstore": No such file or directory
> > could not load library "$libdir/adminpack": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/adminpack": No such file or
directory
> > could not load library "$libdir/uuid-ossp": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/uuid-ossp": No such file or
directory

> These Extension seems to be standard. What is the use of these function and
> do we have any alternative in Higher version or Enhanced object if i drop
> it in 9.2 and continue upgrade to 10.7 Version.

See Sergei's response:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7164691551378448%40myt3-1179f584969c.qloud-c.yandex.net

You probably want to install this package for the new version (9.6 or 10 or
11).

[pryzbyj@TS-DB ~]$ rpm -ql postgresql11-contrib |grep -E '(uuid-ossp|adminpack|hstore)\.control'
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/adminpack.control
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/hstore.control
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/uuid-ossp.control

Justin

Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Awesome, thanks Sergei and Justin,

Finally, I am able to upgrade the DB from 9.2 to 9.6 successfully  after dropping Schema (reorg) without library issue.
Also , I have installed -Contrib. package for Version:10 and upgraded to version 10.7 too.

On both the cases , I have used  --link option and it took just fraction of seconds ( I feel 'Zero' Downtime effect )

Any pointers for pg_repack schema creation ?
Will there be any impact in the future , Since i used --link option ?

Regards,
Raju

Date:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 09:44:16PM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> Any pointers for pg_repack schema creation ?

With recent postgres, you should use just: "CREATE EXTENSION pg_repack", which
does all that for you.

> Will there be any impact in the future , Since i used --link option ?

You probably have an old DB directory laying around which is (at least
partially) hardlinks.  You should remove it .. but be careful to remove the
correct dir.  My scripts always rename the old dir before running pg_upgrade,
so it's less scary to rm -fr it later.

Justin

Resolved: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X

From
Perumal Raj
Date:
Thanks again.