Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Perumal Raj
Subject Re: Question about pg_upgrade from 9.2 to X.X
Date
List pgsql-general
Awesome, thanks Sergei and Justin,

Finally, I am able to upgrade the DB from 9.2 to 9.6 successfully  after dropping Schema (reorg) without library issue.
Also , I have installed -Contrib. package for Version:10 and upgraded to version 10.7 too.

On both the cases , I have used  --link option and it took just fraction of seconds ( I feel 'Zero' Downtime effect )

Any pointers for pg_repack schema creation ?
Will there be any impact in the future , Since i used --link option ?

Regards,
Raju

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:21 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 08:09:12AM -0800, Perumal Raj wrote:
> Thanks Sergei/Justin for the continues update.
>
> So reorg Schema might be created as part of some scripts prior to 9.2
> Version ?

I'm guessing they were probably created in 9.2.

> These are the functions in DB not the Extension. However these functions
> will not run as the associated libraries are not exists in System now (9.2)
> and I hope no impact to system.

I guess someone installed pgreorg, ran its scripts to install its functions
into the DB, and then removed pgreorg without removing its scripts.

> One Question need your address,
>
> Prior to 9.2 to 9.6 upgrade , I have tried 9.2 10.7 upgrade and failed
> similar error(you can refer beginning o the post ).
>
> > could not load library "$libdir/hstore": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/hstore": No such file or directory
> > could not load library "$libdir/adminpack": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/adminpack": No such file or directory
> > could not load library "$libdir/uuid-ossp": ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/uuid-ossp": No such file or directory
>
> These Extension seems to be standard. What is the use of these function and
> do we have any alternative in Higher version or Enhanced object if i drop
> it in 9.2 and continue upgrade to 10.7 Version.

See Sergei's response:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7164691551378448%40myt3-1179f584969c.qloud-c.yandex.net

You probably want to install this package for the new version (9.6 or 10 or
11).

[pryzbyj@TS-DB ~]$ rpm -ql postgresql11-contrib |grep -E '(uuid-ossp|adminpack|hstore)\.control'
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/adminpack.control
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/hstore.control
/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/uuid-ossp.control

Justin