pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Dave Page
Date:
... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/ and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.

Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.

Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please be sure to test with extra care!

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Anthony DeBarros
Date:
Just fyi, I pulled a copy of the macOS version of this build, and for some reason I cannot expand the Tables node in the tree on any of my databases even though there are tables present. Could just be me, but wanted to note.

Using Chrome beta 68; macOS High Sierra; Postgres 9.6

Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.

Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please be sure to test with extra care!

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Fahar Abbas
Date:
Hi Anthony!

I am not able to reproducible this issue using Browser[Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)] MAC OS X High Sierra Version 10.13.3; PostgreSQL 9.6

Just fyi, I pulled a copy of the macOS version of this build, and for some reason I cannot expand the Tables node in the tree on any of my databases even though there are tables present. Could just be me, but wanted to note.

Using Chrome beta 68; macOS High Sierra; Postgres 9.6

Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.

Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please be sure to test with extra care!

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Fahar Abbas
QMG
EnterpriseDB Corporation
Phone Office: +92-51-835-8874
Phone Direct: +92-51-8466803
Mobile: +92-333-5409707
Skype ID: syed.fahar.abbas
Website: www.enterprisedb.com
Attachment

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Anthony DeBarros
Date:
Sounds good! Must just be my environment. Thanks for checking it out!

[...]

Christoph Berg
Re: Dave Page 2018-06-26 <CA+OCxow1BDDXK9K1d-pnSAoBE5O=+RD6QNxA5ynH-X+-rPN7jA@mail.gmail.com>
> ... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/
> and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.
>
> Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.
>
> Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build
> system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please
> be sure to test with extra care!

Hmm, ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sshtunnel'

Could you perhaps announce new versions that need new python modules a
bit earlier, so we have time to package them?

Christoph

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 12:09 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> ... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/
> and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.
>
> Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.

Pushed EL-7, Fedora 27 and Fedora 28 packages to v10 testing repo.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Dave Page

Just fyi, I pulled a copy of the macOS version of this build, and for some reason I cannot expand the Tables node in the tree on any of my databases even though there are tables present. Could just be me, but wanted to note.

Using Chrome beta 68; macOS High Sierra; Postgres 9.6

Does it work with release version of Chrome (or Safari)?

If you turn on the developer tools in the browser, do you see anything on the console?

--

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Dave Page 2018-06-26 <CA+OCxow1BDDXK9K1d-pnSAoBE5O=+RD6QNxA5ynH-X+-rPN7jA@mail.gmail.com>
> ... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/
> and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.
>
> Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.
>
> Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build
> system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please
> be sure to test with extra care!

Hmm, ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sshtunnel'

Could you perhaps announce new versions that need new python modules a
bit earlier, so we have time to package them?

Good point. Not entirely sure how the mechanics of that would work, given that we're trying to shorten release cycles down to a couple of weeks (ideally).

That said, for all other builds we're giving up trying to maintain Python packages. Instead, we're going to be shipping a pre-built Python venv as part of the package, built using Python 3.6. Whilst it's not perfect from a "following the packaging rules" perspective, in other cases we're having to install modules privately for pgAdmin anyway to avoid conflicts with older, vendor supplied versions, so it's really just a different evil rather than a new one.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Robert Eckhardt

Sounds good! Must just be my environment. Thanks for checking it out!

I am not able to reproducible this issue using Browser[Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)] MAC OS X High Sierra Version 10.13.3; PostgreSQL 9.6

Working on my mac as well.

--Rob

Date:
Unfortunately I've had to re-spin due to a couple of translation issues that could prevent server startup. Updated builds are here: https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-27-3.1-2/

Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.

Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please be sure to test with extra care!

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Anthony DeBarros
Date:
Just to briefly follow up here. I cleared cookies for 127.0.0.1 in Chrome (there were three that seemed related to pgAdmin), then relaunched, and now the nodes expand properly. So, all good. Must have just been something in my browser session.

Just fyi, I pulled a copy of the macOS version of this build, and for some reason I cannot expand the Tables node in the tree on any of my databases even though there are tables present. Could just be me, but wanted to note.

Using Chrome beta 68; macOS High Sierra; Postgres 9.6

Does it work with release version of Chrome (or Safari)?

If you turn on the developer tools in the browser, do you see anything on the console?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2018-06-27 at 13:21 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Unfortunately I've had to re-spin due to a couple of translation issues
> that could prevent server startup. Updated builds are here:
> https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-27-3.1-2/

Pushed these new packages to the testing repo.

Fahar, please run

yum clean all

before testing the new ones, I did not bump up the build number.

Re: Dave Page 2018-06-27 <CA+OCxozp8Zsj+NTF8hBt46oDJku6oFA6ayTex4jkjyXNsR84Xw@mail.gmail.com>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Re: Dave Page 2018-06-26 <CA+OCxow1BDDXK9K1d-pnSAoBE5O=+
> > RD6QNxA5ynH-X+-rPN7jA@mail.gmail.com>
> > > ... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/
> > > and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.
> > >
> > > Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.
> > >
> > > Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build
> > > system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please
> > > be sure to test with extra care!
> >
> > Hmm, ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sshtunnel'
> >
> > Could you perhaps announce new versions that need new python modules a
> > bit earlier, so we have time to package them?
> >

> Good point. Not entirely sure how the mechanics of that would work, given
> that we're trying to shorten release cycles down to a couple of weeks
> (ideally).

Just drop a note "hey we've added $module" once a non-standard
dependency is added.

> That said, for all other builds we're giving up trying to maintain Python
> packages. Instead, we're going to be shipping a pre-built Python venv as
> part of the package, built using Python 3.6. Whilst it's not perfect from a
> "following the packaging rules" perspective, in other cases we're having to
> install modules privately for pgAdmin anyway to avoid conflicts with older,
> vendor supplied versions, so it's really just a different evil rather than
> a new one.

I'm not going to "pip install" or whatever from the build system.

That said, the web/pgadmin/static/*/generated/ directories have
disappeared from the tarball, so pgadmin doesn't load anymore. Could
you please put them back, as I don't think rebuilding them via yarn is
feasible? Because that's not packaged either...

Christoph

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Dave Page 2018-06-27 <CA+OCxozp8Zsj+NTF8hBt46oDJku6oFA6ayTex4jkjyXNsR84Xw@mail.gmail.com>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Re: Dave Page 2018-06-26 <CA+OCxow1BDDXK9K1d-pnSAoBE5O=+
> > RD6QNxA5ynH-X+-rPN7jA@mail.gmail.com>
> > > ... can be found at https://developer.pgadmin.org/builds/2018-06-26-3.1/
> > > and dpage/pgadmin4:2018-06-26-3.1 on Docker Hub.
> > >
> > > Fahar; please verify for release on Thursday.
> > >
> > > Note that these are the first builds from the new fully automated build
> > > system, and both the Windows and Mac versions now use Python 3, so please
> > > be sure to test with extra care!
> >
> > Hmm, ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sshtunnel'
> >
> > Could you perhaps announce new versions that need new python modules a
> > bit earlier, so we have time to package them?
> >

> Good point. Not entirely sure how the mechanics of that would work, given
> that we're trying to shorten release cycles down to a couple of weeks
> (ideally).

Just drop a note "hey we've added $module" once a non-standard
dependency is added.

Yeah - it's the remembering to do that that is the issue.

> That said, for all other builds we're giving up trying to maintain Python
> packages. Instead, we're going to be shipping a pre-built Python venv as
> part of the package, built using Python 3.6. Whilst it's not perfect from a
> "following the packaging rules" perspective, in other cases we're having to
> install modules privately for pgAdmin anyway to avoid conflicts with older,
> vendor supplied versions, so it's really just a different evil rather than
> a new one.

I'm not going to "pip install" or whatever from the build system.

OK, that's up to you.

That said, the web/pgadmin/static/*/generated/ directories have
disappeared from the tarball, so pgadmin doesn't load anymore. Could
you please put them back, as I don't think rebuilding them via yarn is
feasible? Because that's not packaged either...

OK, please go grab the tarball again, from thttps://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin/pgadmin4/v3.1/source/. The MD5 checksum should be:

f057bf46055d4f7b07a42ae984f499dd  pgadmin4-3.1.tar.gz

This should contain the missing files.

Sorry about that - stupid case-sensitivity bug in a script :-(

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2018-06-28 at 13:47 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> I'm not going to "pip install" or whatever from the build system.

With full respect to you, and given that I also spent *tons* of time RPMifing
the dependencies, those dependent packages are needed only for pgAdmin4.

Also once we update pgAdmin4 to a newer version, some of the the previous
dependencies are also updated, so people have to use the latest version anyway,
and usually there is no chance for a downgrade. Bundling everything into a
single package makes really a lot of sense.

I was against pip'ing things until last week, but this dependency hell is not
easy to deal with, so I'll change the RPMs and push a single package as well

Re: Dave Page 2018-06-28 <CA+OCxoyu6KQamBfgV2kF2uB2AYsty7HhyeSsvTa1yuTdANWimw@mail.gmail.com>
> > That said, the web/pgadmin/static/*/generated/ directories have
> > disappeared from the tarball, so pgadmin doesn't load anymore. Could
> > you please put them back, as I don't think rebuilding them via yarn is
> > feasible? Because that's not packaged either...
> >

> OK, please go grab the tarball again, from thttps://www.postgresql.org/
> ftp/pgadmin/pgadmin4/v3.1/source/. The MD5 checksum should be:
>
> f057bf46055d4f7b07a42ae984f499dd  pgadmin4-3.1.tar.gz
>
> This should contain the missing files.
>
> Sorry about that - stupid case-sensitivity bug in a script :-(

Hi,

the tarball works fine now, thanks!

I could finally build the packages now. (There were some issues with
the python3.7 update happening in Debian at the same time, which broke
a few bits, but I managed to work around.)

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: pgAdmin v3.1 candidate builds and source...

From
Khushboo Vashi
Date:
Hi Christoph,

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Dave Page 2018-06-28 <CA+OCxoyu6KQamBfgV2kF2uB2AYsty7HhyeSsvTa1yuTdANWimw@mail.gmail.com>
> > That said, the web/pgadmin/static/*/generated/ directories have
> > disappeared from the tarball, so pgadmin doesn't load anymore. Could
> > you please put them back, as I don't think rebuilding them via yarn is
> > feasible? Because that's not packaged either...
> >

> OK, please go grab the tarball again, from thttps://www.postgresql.org/
> ftp/pgadmin/pgadmin4/v3.1/source/. The MD5 checksum should be:
>
> f057bf46055d4f7b07a42ae984f499dd  pgadmin4-3.1.tar.gz
>
> This should contain the missing files.
>
> Sorry about that - stupid case-sensitivity bug in a script :-(

Hi,

the tarball works fine now, thanks!

Good to hear this.
I could finally build the packages now. (There were some issues with
the python3.7 update happening in Debian at the same time, which broke
a few bits, but I managed to work around.)

One user raised the same issue that pgAdmin is not working with python 3.7. He found that the issue is with psycopg2 (Ref: https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/714) as async and await are now keywords and we are using async in pgAdmin 4.

So, I am curious to know how you have fixed this issue?

Cheers,
Christoph

Thanks,
Khushboo

Re: Khushboo Vashi 2018-07-02 <CAFOhELc2oFoN_ic3a6oW6nt-9W3=ADgczfZxdE9VjHcj1emL_Q@mail.gmail.com>
> > I could finally build the packages now. (There were some issues with
> > the python3.7 update happening in Debian at the same time, which broke
> > a few bits, but I managed to work around.)
> >
> > One user raised the same issue that pgAdmin is not working with python
> 3.7. He found that the issue is with psycopg2 (Ref:
> https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/714) as async and await are now
> keywords and we are using async in pgAdmin 4.
>
> So, I am curious to know how you have fixed this issue?

Hi Khushboo,

I simply postponed building the pgadmin4 packages for sid until the
problem is fixed.

pgadmin4 |      3.0-2.pgdg+1 |             sid-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 |   3.1-1.pgdg100+1 |          buster-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 |    3.1-1.pgdg90+1 |         stretch-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 | 3.1-1.pgdg18.04+1 |          bionic-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 | 3.1-1.pgdg16.04+1 |          xenial-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source

The fix from
https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/714#issuecomment-401570055
looks promising, I'll probably apply that to psycopg2 in sid unless
someone else is faster.

Christoph

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Khushboo Vashi 2018-07-02 <CAFOhELc2oFoN_ic3a6oW6nt-9W3=ADgczfZxdE9VjHcj1emL_Q@mail.gmail.com>
> > I could finally build the packages now. (There were some issues with
> > the python3.7 update happening in Debian at the same time, which broke
> > a few bits, but I managed to work around.)
> >
> > One user raised the same issue that pgAdmin is not working with python
> 3.7. He found that the issue is with psycopg2 (Ref:
> https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/714) as async and await are now
> keywords and we are using async in pgAdmin 4.
>
> So, I am curious to know how you have fixed this issue?

Hi Khushboo,

I simply postponed building the pgadmin4 packages for sid until the
problem is fixed.

pgadmin4 |      3.0-2.pgdg+1 |             sid-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 |   3.1-1.pgdg100+1 |          buster-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 |    3.1-1.pgdg90+1 |         stretch-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 | 3.1-1.pgdg18.04+1 |          bionic-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source
pgadmin4 | 3.1-1.pgdg16.04+1 |          xenial-pgdg | amd64, i386, ppc64el, source

The fix from
https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/issues/714#issuecomment-401570055
looks promising, I'll probably apply that to psycopg2 in sid unless
someone else is faster.

Thanks for the explanation.
We also need some code changes in pgAdmin 4 to support python 3.7.
Christoph