Migration to PGLister - After

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings!

This list has now been migrated to new mailing list software known as
'PGLister'.  This migration will impact all users of this mailing list
in one way or another.

If you would like to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please click on
'List-Unsubscribe' header which will include a link that you can click
on (or copy/paste into your browser) and use to unsubscribe yourself
from this list.

The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
current version of which is also included below.

Thank you!

Stephen (on behalf of the pginfra team)

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Tatsuo Ishii
From: Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>
Subject: Migration to PGLister - After
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 08:14:56 -0500

> Greetings!
>
> This list has now been migrated to new mailing list software known as
> 'PGLister'.  This migration will impact all users of this mailing list
> in one way or another.
>
> If you would like to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please click on
> 'List-Unsubscribe' header which will include a link that you can click
> on (or copy/paste into your browser) and use to unsubscribe yourself
> from this list.
>
> The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> current version of which is also included below.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Stephen (on behalf of the pginfra team)

How does this affect to pgsql-announce moderation?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Tatsuo Ishii (ishii@sraoss.co.jp) wrote:
> > This list has now been migrated to new mailing list software known as
> > 'PGLister'.  This migration will impact all users of this mailing list
> > in one way or another.
> >
> > If you would like to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please click on
> > 'List-Unsubscribe' header which will include a link that you can click
> > on (or copy/paste into your browser) and use to unsubscribe yourself
> > from this list.
> >
> > The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> > on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> > current version of which is also included below.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Stephen (on behalf of the pginfra team)
>
> How does this affect to pgsql-announce moderation?

When we migrate -announce is a couple of weeks the moderation process
will change a bit.  Each email sent to -announce will generate an email
with a link that's sent to all of the moderators to follow to preview
the email and to approve/reject/etc.

We'll send out more specific information for moderators soon.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
"Alvar C.H. Freude"
Date:
Hi,

> Am 13.11.2017 um 14:14 schrieb Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
>
> The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> current version of which is also included below.

Sorry, this is a little bit off topic, but does someone have a link to pglister?

On the page above there is no link and I was not successful with Google (but it finds the page above ;-) ).

I’m using Sympa for my own mailing lists and are always interested in other alternatives then mailman.

Ciao Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude | http://alvar.a-blast.org | af@alvar-freude.de
https://blog.alvar-freude.de/

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Alvar C.H. Freude (af@alvar-freude.de) wrote:
> > Am 13.11.2017 um 14:14 schrieb Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> >
> > The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> > on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> > current version of which is also included below.
>
> Sorry, this is a little bit off topic, but does someone have a link to pglister?
>
> On the page above there is no link and I was not successful with Google (but it finds the page above ;-) ).
>
> I’m using Sympa for my own mailing lists and are always interested in other alternatives then mailman.

Yes, it's actually on our git.postgresql.org system already, we just
need to go through it and review it again to make sure there isn't
anything inappropriate for being published and then we'll open it up.
I'll try to find time this week to do that.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Dave Page

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Alvar C.H. Freude (af@alvar-freude.de) wrote:
> > Am 13.11.2017 um 14:14 schrieb Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> >
> > The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> > on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> > current version of which is also included below.
>
> Sorry, this is a little bit off topic, but does someone have a link to pglister?
>
> On the page above there is no link and I was not successful with Google (but it finds the page above ;-) ).
>
> I’m using Sympa for my own mailing lists and are always interested in other alternatives then mailman.

Yes, it's actually on our git.postgresql.org system already, we just
need to go through it and review it again to make sure there isn't
anything inappropriate for being published and then we'll open it up.
I'll try to find time this week to do that.

It's worth noting though that it is tied into both our existing community user account system and our underlying infrastructure. Don't expect a nice shiny RPM or DEB that you can just install and run - it would almost certainly take a fair amount of effort.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Dave,

* Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Alvar C.H. Freude (af@alvar-freude.de) wrote:
> > > I’m using Sympa for my own mailing lists and are always interested in
> > other alternatives then mailman.
> >
> > Yes, it's actually on our git.postgresql.org system already, we just
> > need to go through it and review it again to make sure there isn't
> > anything inappropriate for being published and then we'll open it up.
> > I'll try to find time this week to do that.
>
> It's worth noting though that it is tied into both our existing community
> user account system and our underlying infrastructure. Don't expect a nice
> shiny RPM or DEB that you can just install and run - it would almost
> certainly take a fair amount of effort.

Agreed, but were someone interested in making that happen, I don't think
we would be against it.  Of course, there'd be quite a few details to be
worked out in any such effort, but I don't think we necessairly need to
shut it down if someone's willing to do it.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Alvar Freude
Date:
Hi,

> Am 13.11.2017 um 16:50 schrieb Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
>
> It's worth noting though that it is tied into both our existing community user account system and our underlying
infrastructure.Don't expect a nice shiny RPM or DEB that you can just install and run - it would almost certainly take
afair amount of effort.

As FreeBSD-User I usually don’t expect RPM or DEB ;-)

I’m just curious, that’s all.

Thanks && Ciao Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude | http://alvar.a-blast.org | af@alvar-freude.de
https://blog.alvar-freude.de/
https://www.wen-waehlen.de/

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Geoff Winkless
Date:
The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a machine-readable header visible in gmail.

Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be signed for list email?

It seems to me unreasonable that those users who don't want to use a feature should be inconvenienced by those who do.

Geoff

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a machine-readable header visible in gmail.

Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be signed for list email?

It seems to me unreasonable that those users who don't want to use a feature should be inconvenienced by those who do.

That would be fine if everyone ran their own mail servers, be the vast majority of people use mail providers like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft etc. who do not make it optional.

[...]

Kenneth Marshall
Date:
Hi,

I also find it very useful to be able to identify the list by the subject.
The way to address this is, as Geoff mentions, to NOT include subject in
your DKIM signature.

Regards,
Ken

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:41:59PM +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.
>
> Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could
> be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be
> signed for list email?
>
> It seems to me unreasonable that those users who don't want to use a
> feature should be inconvenienced by those who do.
>
> Geoff
>
> On 13 November 2017 at 13:14, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > This list has now been migrated to new mailing list software known as
> > 'PGLister'.  This migration will impact all users of this mailing list
> > in one way or another.
> >
> > If you would like to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please click on
> > 'List-Unsubscribe' header which will include a link that you can click
> > on (or copy/paste into your browser) and use to unsubscribe yourself
> > from this list.
> >
> > The changes which we expect to be most significant to users can be found
> > on the wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGLister_Announce the
> > current version of which is also included below.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Stephen (on behalf of the pginfra team)

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Geoff Winkless (pgsqladmin@geoff.dj) wrote:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

I'm certainly sorry to hear that.

> Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could
> be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be
> signed for list email?

This is often not under their control (are you aware of some way to get
GMail to do that...?  Your email certainly includes the subject in the
DKIM signature) and, even if it was, I doubt we'd be able to get the
majority of users to actually do this, meaning we would continue to send
out lots of email with invalid DKIM signatures, or to only have the
Subject mangling on a subset of the emails, neither of which is
acceptable.

> It seems to me unreasonable that those users who don't want to use a
> feature should be inconvenienced by those who do.

Unfortunately, DKIM is a thing and it's not likely to be changed very
easily.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Geoff Winkless wrote:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

Maybe you could add a filter that add labels based on the headers?

Date:
On 13 November 2017 at 17:10, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Geoff Winkless wrote:
>> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
>> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
>> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
>> machine-readable header visible in gmail.
>
> Maybe you could add a filter that add labels based on the headers?

Hmm.  I didn't even know gmail could do that, thanks!

Anyone who also didn't know this, you just add

list:"<pgsql-hackers.lists.postgresql.org>"

to the "Includes the words" field in the filter creation.

Geoff

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Gregg Jaskiewicz

> On 13 Nov 2017, at 17:45, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
>
> On 13 November 2017 at 17:10, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> Geoff Winkless wrote:
>>> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
>>> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
>>> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
>>> machine-readable header visible in gmail.
>>
>> Maybe you could add a filter that add labels based on the headers?
>
> Hmm.  I didn't even know gmail could do that, thanks!
>
> Anyone who also didn't know this, you just add
>
> list:"<pgsql-hackers.lists.postgresql.org>”

Please do !
That’s what I filter with.

Date:
Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> writes:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

I'm told it's actually very easy to handle this in gmail: set up a filter
that recognizes list messages (make it key on the List-ID header) and then
tags them with an appropriate label.

We should put detailed instructions about how to do that on the wiki page
about the migration, but not being a gmail user I can't provide exact
instructions.

> Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could
> be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be
> signed for list email?

As Stephen mentioned, there are no good solutions that would allow us to
keep mangling subject headers.  This has been debated extensively already.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Pavel Golub
Date:
Hello, Geoff.

You wrote:

GW> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for
GW> me: I do not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the
GW> "Forums" autofilter in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there
GW> is no way to make such a machine-readable header visible in gmail.

Who had troubles with GMail's filters and pgsql-hackers & pgsql-bugs yesterday?
https://pgolub.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/hackers-and-bugs-lists-migration-and-gmails-filters/

tl;dr: Use list operator in search and filters

With best wishes,Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Pavel Golub
Date:
Hello, Tom.

You wrote:

TL> Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> writes:
>> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
>> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
>> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
>> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

TL> I'm told it's actually very easy to handle this in gmail: set up a filter
TL> that recognizes list messages (make it key on the List-ID header) and then
TL> tags them with an appropriate label.

TL> We should put detailed instructions about how to do that on the wiki page
TL> about the migration, but not being a gmail user I can't provide exact
TL> instructions.

Here my post with instructions and screenshots

--
With best wishes,Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Pavel Golub <pavel@microolap.com> wrote:
Hello, Tom.

You wrote:

TL> Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> writes:
>> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
>> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
>> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
>> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

TL> I'm told it's actually very easy to handle this in gmail: set up a filter
TL> that recognizes list messages (make it key on the List-ID header) and then
TL> tags them with an appropriate label.

TL> We should put detailed instructions about how to do that on the wiki page
TL> about the migration, but not being a gmail user I can't provide exact
TL> instructions.

Here my post with instructions and screenshots
https://pgolub.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/hackers-and-bugs-lists-migration-and-gmails-filters/

Thanks!

It's also worth noticing that if you use gmails feature  "Filter messages like these" on one of the mails, it will automatically populate the search box with the list header by default.

--

Re: Migration to PGLister - After

From
Pavel Golub
Date:
Hello, Magnus.

You wrote:

MH> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Pavel Golub <pavel@microolap.com>wrote:

MH> Hello, Tom.

MH>  You wrote:
TL>> Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> writes:>>> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for
me:I do>>> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter>>> in gmail) and have no wish to
doso, and there is no way to make such a>>> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

TL>> I'm told it's actually very easy to handle this in gmail: set up a filterTL>> that recognizes list messages (make
itkey on the List-ID header) and thenTL>> tags them with an appropriate label.

TL>> We should put detailed instructions about how to do that on the wiki pageTL>> about the migration, but not being a
gmailuser I can't provide exactTL>> instructions.

MH>  Here my post with instructions and screenshots
MH> https://pgolub.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/hackers-and-bugs-lists-migration-and-gmails-filters/

MH> Thanks!

MH> It's also worth noticing that if you use gmails feature  "Filter
MH> messages like these" on one of the mails, it will automatically
MH> populate the search box with the list header by default.

Nice!!! Will add to the post. Thanks!

--
With best wishes,Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com