Re: Migration to PGLister - After - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Migration to PGLister - After
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> writes:
> The removal of the [HACKERS] (etc) header will be frustrating for me: I do
> not sort mailing lists into folders (I simply scan the "Forums" autofilter
> in gmail) and have no wish to do so, and there is no way to make such a
> machine-readable header visible in gmail.

I'm told it's actually very easy to handle this in gmail: set up a filter
that recognizes list messages (make it key on the List-ID header) and then
tags them with an appropriate label.

We should put detailed instructions about how to do that on the wiki page
about the migration, but not being a gmail user I can't provide exact
instructions.

> Perhaps those users who wish to use DKIM on their email to the list could
> be persuaded to remove the Subject line from list of optional fields to be
> signed for list email?

As Stephen mentioned, there are no good solutions that would allow us to
keep mangling subject headers.  This has been debated extensively already.