[pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Folks:

While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
Traditionally, we've mentioned two to four features in detail, together
with a bullet list of other significant features.  With the help of PVH,
here's what I have so far:

Banner features:

- pglogical logical replication
- table partitions in core

Significant features:

- XMLTABLE query expressions
- hash indexes in wal
- PGFDW: push down aggregates

It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?

Notable note: pg_xlog => pg_wal

So .., please add to the above lists.  Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 7 Apr 2017, at 17:39, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
> Traditionally, we've mentioned two to four features in detail, together
> with a bullet list of other significant features.  With the help of PVH,
> here's what I have so far:
>
> Banner features:
>
> - pglogical logical replication
> - table partitions in core
>
> Significant features:
>
> - XMLTABLE query expressions
> - hash indexes in wal
> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
>
> It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?
>
> Notable note: pg_xlog => pg_wal
>
> So .., please add to the above lists.  Thanks!

Would any of these be suitable for using "pretty graphics" with?

  eg for illustrating potential change in query time/database load/etc

Purely for making things easier for readers to grok that is. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Date:
On 04/07/2017 09:47 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2017, at 17:39, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> Folks:
>>
>> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
>> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
>> Traditionally, we've mentioned two to four features in detail, together
>> with a bullet list of other significant features.  With the help of PVH,
>> here's what I have so far:
>>
>> Banner features:
>>
>> - pglogical logical replication
>> - table partitions in core
>>
>> Significant features:
>>
>> - XMLTABLE query expressions
>> - hash indexes in wal
>> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
>>
>> It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?
>>
>> Notable note: pg_xlog => pg_wal
>>
>> So .., please add to the above lists.  Thanks!
>
> Would any of these be suitable for using "pretty graphics" with?
>
>   eg for illustrating potential change in query time/database load/etc
>
> Purely for making things easier for readers to grok that is. :)

I'd save that for the final release announcement, but if you're prepared
to do graphics, the new partitioning might be a good candidate.

--

Date:
On 7 Apr 2017, at 17:52, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> On 04/07/2017 09:47 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2017, at 17:39, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>>> Folks:
>>>
>>> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
>>> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
>>> Traditionally, we've mentioned two to four features in detail, together
>>> with a bullet list of other significant features.  With the help of PVH,
>>> here's what I have so far:
>>>
>>> Banner features:
>>>
>>> - pglogical logical replication
>>> - table partitions in core
>>>
>>> Significant features:
>>>
>>> - XMLTABLE query expressions
>>> - hash indexes in wal
>>> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
>>>
>>> It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?
>>>
>>> Notable note: pg_xlog => pg_wal
>>>
>>> So .., please add to the above lists.  Thanks!
>>
>> Would any of these be suitable for using "pretty graphics" with?
>>
>>  eg for illustrating potential change in query time/database load/etc
>>
>> Purely for making things easier for readers to grok that is. :)
>
> I'd save that for the final release announcement, but if you're prepared
> to do graphics, the new partitioning might be a good candidate.

Yep, that should be something I have time for. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Amit Langote
Date:
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:

> It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?

Quorum sync rep will be there.  See:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-replication.html#runtime-config-replication-master

"The keyword ANY, coupled with num_sync, specifies a quorum-based
synchronous replication and makes transaction commits wait until their
WAL records are replicated to at least num_sync listed standbys. For
example,..."

Thanks,
Amit

Date:
On 04/07/2017 12:30 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>>
>> It looks like quorum sync rep won't make it, correct?
>>

> Quorum sync rep will be there.  See:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-replication.html#runtime-config-replication-master
>
> "The keyword ANY, coupled with num_sync, specifies a quorum-based
> synchronous replication and makes transaction commits wait until their
> WAL records are replicated to at least num_sync listed standbys. For
> example,..."

Ah, I misunderstood some of the comments on the patch!

That's good news, that's a 3rd banner feature.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 4/7/17 12:39, Josh Berkus wrote:
> - pglogical logical replication

Note that "pglogical" != "built-in logical replication" (or whatever you
want to call the latter).

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:

> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
> Traditionally, we've mentioned two to four features in detail, together
> with a bullet list of other significant features.  With the help of PVH,
> here's what I have so far:
>
> Banner features:
>
> - pglogical logical replication
> - table partitions in core
>
> Significant features:
>
> - XMLTABLE query expressions
> - hash indexes in wal
> - PGFDW: push down aggregates

> Notable note: pg_xlog => pg_wal
>
> So .., please add to the above lists.  Thanks!

I don't think it merits top 2-4 features, but transition tables for
AFTER triggers is a SQL standard feature that I think most products
have had and we have not ... until v10.

--
Kevin Grittner

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> Banner features:
>
> - pglogical logical replication
> - table partitions in core

IMV, this also includes:

- More extensive parallelism. Not really one feature, but a good
bullet point for marketing purposes.
- Expression evaluation optimization work, which will eventually lead
to PostgreSQL using an LLVM based JIT.

Both talks on these new features were absolutely packed at pgConf US,
so it's clear to me that the user interest is certainly there.

--
Peter Geoghegan

VMware vCenter Server
https://www.vmware.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> Banner features:
>>
>> - pglogical logical replication
>> - table partitions in core
>
> IMV, this also includes:
>
> - More extensive parallelism. Not really one feature, but a good
> bullet point for marketing purposes.
> - Expression evaluation optimization work, which will eventually lead
> to PostgreSQL using an LLVM based JIT.
>
> Both talks on these new features were absolutely packed at pgConf US,
> so it's clear to me that the user interest is certainly there.

SCRAM perhaps? Users complain a good deal about MD5.
--
Michael

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 07:23:35AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> >> Banner features:
> >>
> >> - pglogical logical replication
> >> - table partitions in core
> >
> > IMV, this also includes:
> >
> > - More extensive parallelism. Not really one feature, but a good
> > bullet point for marketing purposes.
> > - Expression evaluation optimization work, which will eventually lead
> > to PostgreSQL using an LLVM based JIT.
> >
> > Both talks on these new features were absolutely packed at pgConf US,
> > so it's clear to me that the user interest is certainly there.
>
> SCRAM perhaps? Users complain a good deal about MD5.

+1 to each of these.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Kevin Grittner schrieb am 08.04.2017 um 00:01:
> I don't think it merits top 2-4 features, but transition tables for
> AFTER triggers is a SQL standard feature that I think most products
> have had and we have not ... until v10.

I think only SQL Server and DB2 have that.

Oracle has no such thing for their statement level trigger (it can be implemented using a compound trigger and a
temporarytable)

MySQL has no statement level triggers

Date:
On 04/07/2017 03:01 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> Banner features:
>>
>> - pglogical logical replication
>> - table partitions in core
>
> IMV, this also includes:
>
> - More extensive parallelism. Not really one feature, but a good
> bullet point for marketing purposes.

Anyone got a list of the additional things which are parallelizable now?
 I know index scans, what else?

--

Date:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> Anyone got a list of the additional things which are parallelizable now?
>  I know index scans, what else?

This is a good summary:
https://rhaas.blogspot.com/2017/03/parallel-query-v2.html

Of the "not yet committed" items listed there, only "Improve Access to
Parallel Query from Procedural Languages" ended up making it into
Postgres 10.

--
Peter Geoghegan

VMware vCenter Server
https://www.vmware.com/

Date:
>> - pglogical logical replication
> Note that "pglogical" != "built-in logical replication" (or whatever you
> want to call the latter).

Clarify?

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
So, lemme update the running list:

Banner Features:

- pglogical
- new partitioning
- quorum sync rep
- parallel index scan, bitmap scan, and merge join

Other Features:

- XMLTABLE query expressions
- hash indexes in wal
- PGFDW: push down aggregates
- SCRAM authentication

... seems like the "other features" list should be longer.

--

Date:
On 4/7/17 20:36, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 04/07/2017 02:42 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> - pglogical logical replication
>> Note that "pglogical" != "built-in logical replication" (or whatever you
>> want to call the latter).
>
> Clarify?

They are two different implementations that do similar things.

- https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/logical-replication.html
- https://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/pglogical/

Only the first one is a feature of PostgreSQL 10.

Date:
On 4/7/17 20:40, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, lemme update the running list:
>
> Banner Features:
>
> - pglogical
> - new partitioning
> - quorum sync rep
> - parallel index scan, bitmap scan, and merge join
>
> Other Features:
>
> - XMLTABLE query expressions
> - hash indexes in wal
> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
> - SCRAM authentication
>
> ... seems like the "other features" list should be longer.

Some more possibilities:

- better defaults for replication/online backups out of the box
- ICU support
- extended statistics (better performance for certain queries?)
- executor performance improvements

Also note that parallel query is now on by default, whereas it was
disabled by default in 9.6.

Date:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner schrieb am 08.04.2017 um 00:01:
>>
>> I don't think it merits top 2-4 features, but transition tables for
>> AFTER triggers is a SQL standard feature that I think most products
>> have had and we have not ... until v10.
>
> I think only SQL Server and DB2 have that.

SAP SQL Anywhere also supports it and Sybase ASE supports the
capability, but with fixed names for the transition tables (inserted
and deleted).

> Oracle has no such thing for their statement level trigger (it can be
> implemented using a compound trigger and a temporary table)
>
> MySQL has no statement level triggers

SAP MaxDB and SQLite are in the same camp as MySQL in this regard --
no support for it.

--
Kevin Grittner

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Andreas Karlsson
Date:
On 04/08/2017 12:01 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I don't think it merits top 2-4 features, but transition tables for
> AFTER triggers is a SQL standard feature that I think most products
> have had and we have not ... until v10.

I think this will be a pretty huge feature for some users, so probably
worth including among the significant features.

Andreas

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

I think besides assembling the list, it is also important to come up
with clear, correct and catchy names for each feature.

Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 17:40 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> So, lemme update the running list:
>
> Banner Features:
>
> - pglogical

Again, pglogical is a specific out-of-core extension, which is not in
V10. "Logical Replication" is the one we should promote.

> - new partitioning

I'd call it "Native Partitioning" or "Declarative Partitioning"

> - quorum sync rep

"Qurom-Based Syncronous Replication"

> - parallel index scan, bitmap scan, and merge join

"Improved and Extended Parallel Query"

IMO the three headline features are Logical Replication, Partitioning
and Parallel Query - not sure Quorum Commit stands out compared to the
others below.

> Other Features:
>
> - XMLTABLE query expressions
> - hash indexes in wal

"Improved and Crash-Proof Hash Indexes", or "Improved and
Production-Ready Hash indexes" - there have been several performance
optimizations as well.

> - PGFDW: push down aggregates

As the list is getting rather large, I am not sure this one merits
inclusion, but I don't how much it improves things, really.

> - SCRAM authentication

I'm afraid this doesn't tell a lot of people what's going on, but I
haven't come up with a better 3-5 word explanation, yet.

> ... seems like the "other features" list should be longer.

There is also:

"Client-Side Connection-Failover"

"Improved and Easier Replication Setup" (Peter mentioned that as well)

Plus what else Peter mentioned.

From a marketing standpoint, I guess it is good that some features like
WARM did not make it or else we'd have even more trouble coming up with
a concise list.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 8 Apr 2017, at 09:50, Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
<snip>
> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"

Is that for making HA/replicated servers easier to work with?

If so, that sounds pretty important for application developers. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.

I have been thinking about this topic as well, and wrote a blog post about it.

http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2017/04/new-features-coming-in-postgresql-10.html

I wasn't able to pare the major features list down to the 2-4 range; I
found it difficult enough to get it down to 7, and there's still a lot
of other stuff that is also *really* good.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On 8 Apr 2017, at 14:39, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
>> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
>
> I have been thinking about this topic as well, and wrote a blog post about it.
>
> http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2017/04/new-features-coming-in-postgresql-10.html
>
> I wasn't able to pare the major features list down to the 2-4 range; I
> found it difficult enough to get it down to 7, and there's still a lot
> of other stuff that is also *really* good.

Excellent post, that's well put together. :)

Maybe we should steal content from it for the beta announcement?

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Michael, Robert (at bottom):

On 04/08/2017 01:50 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think besides assembling the list, it is also important to come up
> with clear, correct and catchy names for each feature.

Thank you so much for the marketing-friendly terminology!

> Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 17:40 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
>> So, lemme update the running list:
>>
>> Banner Features:
>>
>> - pglogical
>
> Again, pglogical is a specific out-of-core extension, which is not in
> V10. "Logical Replication" is the one we should promote.

Looks like we can use a more concise version of Robert's explanation for
this.

>> - new partitioning
>
> I'd call it "Native Partitioning" or "Declarative Partitioning"

"Declarative", I think

>> - quorum sync rep
>
> "Qurom-Based Syncronous Replication"
>
>> - parallel index scan, bitmap scan, and merge join
>
> "Improved and Extended Parallel Query"
>
> IMO the three headline features are Logical Replication, Partitioning
> and Parallel Query - not sure Quorum Commit stands out compared to the
> others below.

I'd argue that Quorum Sync Rep combined with the client connection
failover means that you can easily build synchronous PostgreSQL clusters
out of the box, something which has previously required a lot of
3rd-party tooling.  So it makes my list for major, especially if we
combine the two features.

Given that scale-out has been a weak story for Postgres in the past, I'm
eager to trumpet any and all features we add in this direction.

>> Other Features:
>>
>> - XMLTABLE query expressions
>> - hash indexes in wal
>
> "Improved and Crash-Proof Hash Indexes", or "Improved and
> Production-Ready Hash indexes" - there have been several performance
> optimizations as well.
>
>> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
>
> As the list is getting rather large, I am not sure this one merits
> inclusion, but I don't how much it improves things, really.

It's really "more progress in DB federation".  Not momentous, but more
significant than XMLTABLE, which personally I can't even explain.

>> - SCRAM authentication
>
> I'm afraid this doesn't tell a lot of people what's going on, but I
> haven't come up with a better 3-5 word explanation, yet.

"More secure password authentication using SCRAM"

>> ... seems like the "other features" list should be longer.
>
> There is also:
>
> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"

See above.

> "Improved and Easier Replication Setup" (Peter mentioned that as well)

Oooh, anyone have a link to details?

> Plus what else Peter mentioned.
>
> From a marketing standpoint, I guess it is good that some features like
> WARM did not make it or else we'd have even more trouble coming up with
> a concise list.

Well, it's fine for the beta announcement to have an extended feature
list, although at a certain point we just need to link in a What's New
page on the wiki.

On 04/08/2017 06:39 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> While 10 isn't 100% baked yet, I'd like to get started sorting out what
>> our "top 2-4" features for the beta announcement are going to be.
>
> I have been thinking about this topic as well, and wrote a blog post
about it.

http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2017/04/new-features-coming-in-postgresql-10.html

> I wasn't able to pare the major features list down to the 2-4 range; I
> found it difficult enough to get it down to 7, and there's still a lot
> of other stuff that is also *really* good.

It's always nice to see that the reason the reviewer pipeline is so
clogged is that we are getting so many contributions.

From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
together around a simple theme.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Justin Clift
Date:
On 8 Apr 2017, at 20:48, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
<snip>
> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
> together around a simple theme.

 * Replication
 * Performance
 * Reliability

?

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Date:
On 04/08/2017 12:53 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2017, at 20:48, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
>> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
>> together around a simple theme.
>
>  * Replication
>  * Performance
>  * Reliability

Well, if we take logical replication, quorum commit, connection failover
and partitioning, that together is a serious scale-out story.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
On 2017-04-08 1:50 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>> - PGFDW: push down aggregates
>
> As the list is getting rather large, I am not sure this one merits
> inclusion, but I don't how much it improves things, really.

I believe this absolutely merits inclusion in the announcement, though not as a
top 3 item.

Pushing down aggregates is huge for the scalability and performance of federated
queries.

If one is for example summarizing a billion remote rows into a dozen rows, this
change means the GROUP BY and aggregation happens remotely and then only a dozen
rows are passed over the wire instead of a billion rows.

Next to pushing down projections or restrictions, the aggregate pushdown means
the difference for a large fraction of common queries to be feasible versus not.
  It means that say a billion row aggregate takes effectively zero time of the
client Postgres' resources.

-- Darren Duncan

Date:
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
> together around a simple theme.

I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
needs testing and driver support.

--

Date:
Am Samstag, den 08.04.2017, 12:48 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:

> > "Improved and Easier Replication Setup" (Peter mentioned that as well)
>
> Oooh, anyone have a link to details?

Basically, the number of configuration changes required to setup
replication has gone down; the only thing still needed is to enable
hot_standby (and optionally setting up a replication slot). The
following parameters were changed to make streaming replication possible
at their default values: wal_level, max_wal_senders and
max_replication_slots. Also, pg_hba.conf now allows replication from
localhost by default. Relevant commits are "Change default values for
backup and replication parameters" (f6d6d292) and "Enable replication
connections by default in pg_hba.conf" (be37c212).

The recovery.conf folding into postgresql.conf didn't make it, so not
sure how big a deal this is.

Michael

--

Date:
Am Samstag, den 08.04.2017, 13:26 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> On 04/08/2017 12:53 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> > On 8 Apr 2017, at 20:48, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
> >> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
> >> together around a simple theme.
> >
> >  * Replication
> >  * Performance
> >  * Reliability
>
> Well, if we take logical replication, quorum commit, connection failover
> and partitioning, that together is a serious scale-out story.

I'm cautious about how to tie logical replication, partitioning and
connection failover into the (same) scale-out story.

Also, 9.6 had remote_apply, which is arguably at least as important as
quorum commit, as it means querying the standby right afterwards will
result in the expected behavior; if we just had quorum_commit with
synchronous_commit merely to 'on', querying the sync standbys
immediately after a commit might still return the old rows (the new rows
are written to WAL so are crash-safe, but are not necessarily replayed
yet), to the best of my knowledge. So quorum commit extends remote_apply
to multiple standbys.

Finally, note that even though libpq now can handle mutiple hosts in the
connection string, it won't load-balance between those (in contrast to
pgJDBC BTW, which can do load balancing), but just use the next one if
the current connection goes away (i.e. failover). Load-Balancing still
needs external tooling for now.

So we need to be rather careful about not over-selling things here, IMO
(while not under-selling either, of course). Others more familiar with
the new feature will hopefully weigh in.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater
Tel.: +49 2166 9901-171
Fax:  +49 2166 9901-100
Email: michael.banck@credativ.de

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Michael Banck
One more thing:

Am Sonntag, den 09.04.2017, 11:00 +0200 schrieb Michael Banck:
> Also, 9.6 had remote_apply, which is arguably at least as important as
> quorum commit, as it means querying the standby right afterwards will
> result in the expected behavior; if we just had quorum_commit with
> synchronous_commit merely to 'on', querying the sync standbys
> immediately after a commit might still return the old rows (the new rows
> are written to WAL so are crash-safe, but are not necessarily replayed
> yet), to the best of my knowledge. So quorum commit extends remote_apply
> to multiple standbys.
>
> Finally, note that even though libpq now can handle mutiple hosts in the
> connection string, it won't load-balance between those (in contrast to
> pgJDBC BTW, which can do load balancing), but just use the next one if
> the current connection goes away (i.e. failover). Load-Balancing still
> needs external tooling for now.

Assuming we will get (connection-based) load balancing for 11 (educated
guess - it should be pretty easy to add this now that we support
multiple hosts) and also causal reads[1,2] (submitted for 10, but bumped
to 11), this scale-out story will be a lot more coherent in my opinion;
so we could focus on other high impact stories for 10 and leave
scale-out for 11.

Michael

[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm=1iiEzCVLD=RoBgtZSyEY1CR-Et7fRc9prCZ9MuTz3pWg@mail.gmail.com

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater
Tel.: +49 2166 9901-171
Fax:  +49 2166 9901-100
Email: michael.banck@credativ.de

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 04/08/2017 07:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
>> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
>> together around a simple theme.
>
> I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
> could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
> needs testing and driver support.

3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very
good thing.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2017 07:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>>> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
>>> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
>>> together around a simple theme.
>>
>> I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
>> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
>> could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
>> needs testing and driver support.
>
> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
> thing.

Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
what is most important.  A release announcement that said
partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query could
sound dreadfully boring to someone who cares about SCRAM, better query
planning when RLS is in use, and the default configuration allowing
replication.  I don't suppose there's a whole lot we can do about that
- we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
about isn't listed.

--

Date:
On 04/09/2017 02:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
>> thing.
>
> Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
> what is most important.

That is definitely true but I think that is where leadership comes in.
What do our primary users think is important?

Better Partitioning and Logical replication are a given. Parallel query
(AWESOME!) and SCRAM are probably at a head based on the audience.

It is true that some will care about better query planning with RLS but
it is a *very* small subset of our user base.

> - we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
> needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
> it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
> about isn't listed.

True but consider this: The people who care about better query planning
with RLS are already watching the lists for better query planning with RLS.

 From an Adoption and "What is going to hit the presses" perspective,
things like Replication and easy(er) Partitioning are going to hit more
hearts and minds.

 From an adoption perspective the question we should ask is: "What are
the people running RDS, Compose Postgres and Heroku Postgres going to
care about?. The top three there are, "Better Partitioning, Logical
Replication (Logical replication allows you to replicate OUT of RDS) and
Parallel query with a very close combat of SCRAM."

Parallel Query, Scram and better query planning with RLS are very much
enterprise features (with Parallel query being the most cross culture).

YMMV,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
JD, Robert,

* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> On 04/09/2017 02:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> >>3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
> >>thing.
> >
> >Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
> >what is most important.
>
> That is definitely true but I think that is where leadership comes
> in. What do our primary users think is important?

I don't actually know that it's our existing users that we want to be
targeting with this.  Further, I'm not sure I follow what you mean by
"primary users."  Did you intend "majority of?"

> Better Partitioning and Logical replication are a given. Parallel
> query (AWESOME!) and SCRAM are probably at a head based on the
> audience.

I prefer the term used elsewhere that I saw- "Native" partitioning,
instead of "Better."  In line with the idea that we really want to
target people who don't currently use PG to reconsider why they don't
and if they should, things like "Native partitioning" and "logical
replication" are big, new, features which may make them consider PG more
seriously than they did before.

> It is true that some will care about better query planning with RLS
> but it is a *very* small subset of our user base.

I agree that a minority of existing users are interested in RLS.  In
addition- we already have it and made a splash with it being released as
part of 9.5.  Improvements to it are certainly note-worthy, but talk of
improved planning with RLS strikes me as less likely to make non-PG
users consider switching to PG.  To some extent, the same goes for
improved parallel query, though the situation is a bit different there
since it wasn't enabled initially either.

> >- we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
> >needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
> >it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
> >about isn't listed.
>
> True but consider this: The people who care about better query
> planning with RLS are already watching the lists for better query
> planning with RLS.

I'm not sure that's really accurate.  I'm sure some are, but not all of
them.  That said, I agree that it's still a minority of our overall
userbase.

> From an Adoption and "What is going to hit the presses" perspective,
> things like Replication and easy(er) Partitioning are going to hit
> more hearts and minds.
>
> From an adoption perspective the question we should ask is: "What
> are the people running RDS, Compose Postgres and Heroku Postgres
> going to care about?. The top three there are, "Better Partitioning,
> Logical Replication (Logical replication allows you to replicate OUT
> of RDS) and Parallel query with a very close combat of SCRAM."

I don't think we should focus only on what users of hosted platforms are
interested in.  For one thing, those users are already using PG and will
be upgrading based on what the hosted platform provides, or forces on
them.

> Parallel Query, Scram and better query planning with RLS are very
> much enterprise features (with Parallel query being the most cross
> culture).

I agree, and we should certainly be considering those users.  Put
another way, I'm worried that the focus here is on the number of PG
installs (hosted platforms have tons) without consideration for the
other end of the spectrum (large, locally hosted, systems).  Both are
important to us.  I don't have a great answer to which is *more* so (one
could start to consider "brand awareness" vs. "contribution to the
community" and other such metrics, but we'd then have to determine what
our goals for this are, exactly, and this thread doesn't strike me as
the right place to try and hash *that* out..).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Date:
On 04/09/2017 02:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
>>> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
>>> could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
>>> needs testing and driver support.
>>
>> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
>> thing.
>
> Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
> what is most important.  A release announcement that said
> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query could
> sound dreadfully boring to someone who cares about SCRAM, better query
> planning when RLS is in use, and the default configuration allowing
> replication.  I don't suppose there's a whole lot we can do about that
> - we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
> needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
> it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
> about isn't listed.

No quesiton.  That's why we divide the beta announcement into two
sections: one with the features we'd like press/reddit/etc. to pick up,
and one with all of the features which we want users to test. This is
different from the final release PR, which will include only the banner
features. To clarify:

Banner Features
---------------

2-5 Features which meet all of:

- will excite the press/twittersphere
- potentially ensnare new users
- can explain to non-DB geeks in 1-2 sentences

Ideally, the above fits around a "theme", but we'll see.

Additional Features
-------------------

3-12 Features which meet any of:

- major features not included in above
- things we really want user testing on
- big API changes
- other stuff we think might grab attention in specific communities

--

Date:
On 4/8/17 04:50, Michael Banck wrote:
> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"

I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".  It just
picks from a list of end points on the initial connection attempt.  It
does not discover connection failures and reconnect.

Date:
On 10 Apr 2017, at 16:42, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/17 04:50, Michael Banck wrote:
>> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"
>
> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".  It just
> picks from a list of end points on the initial connection attempt.  It
> does not discover connection failures and reconnect.

Yeah, after reading Roberts blog post, I'd also agree that "failover"
is a bad/misleading (in the "automatic" sense) description for it.

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Date:
On 04/10/2017 09:04 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2017, at 16:42, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 4/8/17 04:50, Michael Banck wrote:
>>> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"
>>
>> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".  It just
>> picks from a list of end points on the initial connection attempt.  It
>> does not discover connection failures and reconnect.
>
> Yeah, after reading Roberts blog post, I'd also agree that "failover"
> is a bad/misleading (in the "automatic" sense) description for it.

Alternate phrasing?

I do want to get this in the "extended list" of features, just because
we want driver authors to add support for it.

--

Date:
On 4/10/17 14:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 04/10/2017 09:04 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".  It just
>>> picks from a list of end points on the initial connection attempt.  It
>>> does not discover connection failures and reconnect.
>>
>> Yeah, after reading Roberts blog post, I'd also agree that "failover"
>> is a bad/misleading (in the "automatic" sense) description for it.
>
> Alternate phrasing?
>
> I do want to get this in the "extended list" of features, just because
> we want driver authors to add support for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If the driver is based on libpq,
they get it for free.  If the driver is not based on libpq, they have to
implement it themselves, but don't need to wait for libpq before doing so.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:17 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 4/10/17 14:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 04/10/2017 09:04 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".  It just
>>> picks from a list of end points on the initial connection attempt.  It
>>> does not discover connection failures and reconnect.
>>
>> Yeah, after reading Roberts blog post, I'd also agree that "failover"
>> is a bad/misleading (in the "automatic" sense) description for it.
>
> Alternate phrasing?
>
> I do want to get this in the "extended list" of features, just because
> we want driver authors to add support for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If the driver is based on libpq,
they get it for free.  If the driver is not based on libpq, they have to
implement it themselves, but don't need to wait for libpq before doing so.

And libpq already copied the idea from jdbc, did it not? So at least one non-libpq driver already has it.

--

Date:
> On 4/10/17 14:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 04/10/2017 09:04 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
>>> On 10 Apr 2017, at 16:42, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If the driver is based on libpq,
> they get it for free.  If the driver is not based on libpq, they have to
> implement it themselves, but don't need to wait for libpq before doing so.

It also seems like this is something we could put out separate from the
PR. A "driver authors" notice or something like that.

Date:
Am Montag, den 10.04.2017, 11:42 -0400 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> On 4/8/17 04:50, Michael Banck wrote:
> > "Client-Side Connection-Failover"
>
> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".

Hrm.

> It just picks from a list of end points on the initial connection
> attempt.

Right.

> It does not discover connection failures and reconnect.

Does any other 3rd party tooling for Postgres do that? I assume the
client will get the connection failure and, upon reconnection, will get
a good new connection, essentially failing over to the next host. Oracle
has "Transparent Application Failover", but that's a pretty high bar I
am not sure anybody is expecting us to jump over just now.

I phrased it "connection-based client-side failover" in another mail,
would emphasizing that it is at connection granularity be enough to
address your concerns? The pgJDBC called the (AFAICT) identical feature
"connection failover" in their changelogs for 9.3-1100 and 9.4-1200:

https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/changelog.html#version_9.3-1100
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/changelog.html#version_9.4-1200

Michael

--

Date:
On 04/10/2017 12:25 PM, Michael Banck wrote:
> Am Montag, den 10.04.2017, 11:42 -0400 schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
>> On 4/8/17 04:50, Michael Banck wrote:
>>> "Client-Side Connection-Failover"
>>
>> I don't think the libpq feature can be considered "failover".
>
> Hrm.

It's still valuable, though, especially in combination with replication
which offers rapid failover.  It means that instead of needing to update
all of your clients with a new list of servers immediately, you can wait
and assume that their reconnection logic will handle things until an
admin can push out an update.

Particularly, with MM replication (like BDR or MMSync), it means you
don't have to worry about failover on the clients at all.

So it's not a major feature on its own, but it's a good part of a
scale-out story.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On, some reflection, I think WARM should make the extended features
list.  It's been in the press, after all.

--

Date:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
> On, some reflection, I think WARM should make the extended features
> list.  It's been in the press, after all.

Uh ... that's not committed?

--

Date:
On 04/12/2017 09:41 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>> On, some reflection, I think WARM should make the extended features
>> list.  It's been in the press, after all.
>
> Uh ... that's not committed?

Oh, well, *details*!
(waves hands around)

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

So apparently the press has already done our work for us.

This is the first time in years that the press has paid enough attention
to mailing lists and blogs to publish something without a PR being sent.
 It's nice.

BTW, if anyone can get me these two reporters' contact info, it would be
great.  We need more friendly reporters.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3187803/database/postgresql-100-appeals-to-the-sql-faithful.html

https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/04/postgresql-10-features

--

Date:
On 2017-04-18 06:18, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> So apparently the press has already done our work for us.
>
> This is the first time in years that the press has paid enough
> attention
> to mailing lists and blogs to publish something without a PR being
> sent.
>  It's nice.
>
> BTW, if anyone can get me these two reporters' contact info, it would
> be
> great.  We need more friendly reporters.
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/3187803/database/postgresql-100-appeals-to-the-sql-faithful.html

Serdar Yegulalp's email is on his Infoworld profile page:
serdar_yegulalp AT infoworld DOT com

> https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/04/postgresql-10-features

Not seeing an email address on the InfoQ website, but it might be
available only to registered
users (which I'm not doing just for this :>).

+ Justin

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/04/postgresql-10-features
    "PostgreSQL continues to progress towards its tenth major release" ...

Evidently a version numbering scheme change is not without downsides ;-)