Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/09/2017 02:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
>> thing.
>
> Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
> what is most important.

That is definitely true but I think that is where leadership comes in.
What do our primary users think is important?

Better Partitioning and Logical replication are a given. Parallel query
(AWESOME!) and SCRAM are probably at a head based on the audience.

It is true that some will care about better query planning with RLS but
it is a *very* small subset of our user base.

> - we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
> needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
> it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
> about isn't listed.

True but consider this: The people who care about better query planning
with RLS are already watching the lists for better query planning with RLS.

 From an Adoption and "What is going to hit the presses" perspective,
things like Replication and easy(er) Partitioning are going to hit more
hearts and minds.

 From an adoption perspective the question we should ask is: "What are
the people running RDS, Compose Postgres and Heroku Postgres going to
care about?. The top three there are, "Better Partitioning, Logical
Replication (Logical replication allows you to replicate OUT of RDS) and
Parallel query with a very close combat of SCRAM."

Parallel Query, Scram and better query planning with RLS are very much
enterprise features (with Parallel query being the most cross culture).

YMMV,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.