Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement  (Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement  (Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

I think besides assembling the list, it is also important to come up
with clear, correct and catchy names for each feature.

Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 17:40 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> So, lemme update the running list:
>
> Banner Features:
>
> - pglogical

Again, pglogical is a specific out-of-core extension, which is not in
V10. "Logical Replication" is the one we should promote.

> - new partitioning

I'd call it "Native Partitioning" or "Declarative Partitioning"

> - quorum sync rep

"Qurom-Based Syncronous Replication"

> - parallel index scan, bitmap scan, and merge join

"Improved and Extended Parallel Query"

IMO the three headline features are Logical Replication, Partitioning
and Parallel Query - not sure Quorum Commit stands out compared to the
others below.

> Other Features:
>
> - XMLTABLE query expressions
> - hash indexes in wal

"Improved and Crash-Proof Hash Indexes", or "Improved and
Production-Ready Hash indexes" - there have been several performance
optimizations as well.

> - PGFDW: push down aggregates

As the list is getting rather large, I am not sure this one merits
inclusion, but I don't how much it improves things, really.

> - SCRAM authentication

I'm afraid this doesn't tell a lot of people what's going on, but I
haven't come up with a better 3-5 word explanation, yet.

> ... seems like the "other features" list should be longer.

There is also:

"Client-Side Connection-Failover"

"Improved and Easier Replication Setup" (Peter mentioned that as well)

Plus what else Peter mentioned.

From a marketing standpoint, I guess it is good that some features like
WARM did not make it or else we'd have even more trouble coming up with
a concise list.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach