Re: [translators] [press-regional] 9.6 Release Translations

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Euler Taveira wrote:
> > On 29-09-2016 10:42, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> > >   if I click here https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit96/
> > > unfortunately I am not redirected to the Italian page (which exists and
> > > is here: https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit96/it/). I am
> > > not sure content negotiation is working properly.
> > >
> > If you go About > Press, you see all translation links available. I
> > agree with you that a link inside every translated press would be good.

I previously said:
 I think the only reasonable option is that the pgweb code fills in the
 list of available translations in front of each one, based on the files
 that exist in the server.  Perhaps the way to do this would be to put
 the translations in the database; that would also make it easier to add
 new translations as they arrive.

 Obviously, it's not something that's to happen for 9.6, but if someone
 is willing to hack pgweb for pg10 ...

One more thing I just noticed.  If you go to the front page, the
featured content box has links to the announcement, but it is not
possible to get to the translated release kits, nor there is any
indication that they exist at all.  I don't think this has been properly
considered.

Re: [translators] [press-regional] 9.6 Release Translations

From
Josh berkus
Date:
On 09/29/2016 10:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Euler Taveira wrote:
>>>>
>>> If you go About > Press, you see all translation links available. I
>>> agree with you that a link inside every translated press would be good.
>
> I previously said:
>  I think the only reasonable option is that the pgweb code fills in the
>  list of available translations in front of each one, based on the files
>  that exist in the server.  Perhaps the way to do this would be to put
>  the translations in the database; that would also make it easier to add
>  new translations as they arrive.
>
>  Obviously, it's not something that's to happen for 9.6, but if someone
>  is willing to hack pgweb for pg10 ...
>
> One more thing I just noticed.  If you go to the front page, the
> featured content box has links to the announcement, but it is not
> possible to get to the translated release kits, nor there is any
> indication that they exist at all.  I don't think this has been properly
> considered.

I was operating under the assumption that the translationed versions
showed up automatically, as they did on the old website code.  I wasn't
aware that they didn't, anymore.  In 4 years (or more)?  this is the
first time anyone has brought it up.

The chain to find the translations is announcement --> presskit -->
translations --> press page.  Which is pretty obscure if you have to
find them that way.

Date:
Josh berkus wrote:
> On 09/29/2016 10:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > One more thing I just noticed.  If you go to the front page, the
> > featured content box has links to the announcement, but it is not
> > possible to get to the translated release kits, nor there is any
> > indication that they exist at all.  I don't think this has been properly
> > considered.
>
> I was operating under the assumption that the translationed versions
> showed up automatically, as they did on the old website code.  I wasn't
> aware that they didn't, anymore.  In 4 years (or more)?  this is the
> first time anyone has brought it up.

Yeah, I noticed that Dave's commit has to list each translation
separately.

> The chain to find the translations is announcement --> presskit -->
> translations --> press page.  Which is pretty obscure if you have to
> find them that way.

Yes, agreed.

Re: [translators] [press-regional] 9.6 Release Translations

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Josh berkus <josh@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 09/29/2016 10:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Euler Taveira wrote:
>>>>
>>> If you go About > Press, you see all translation links available. I
>>> agree with you that a link inside every translated press would be good.
>
> I previously said:
>  I think the only reasonable option is that the pgweb code fills in the
>  list of available translations in front of each one, based on the files
>  that exist in the server.  Perhaps the way to do this would be to put
>  the translations in the database; that would also make it easier to add
>  new translations as they arrive.
>
>  Obviously, it's not something that's to happen for 9.6, but if someone
>  is willing to hack pgweb for pg10 ...
>
> One more thing I just noticed.  If you go to the front page, the
> featured content box has links to the announcement, but it is not
> possible to get to the translated release kits, nor there is any
> indication that they exist at all.  I don't think this has been properly
> considered.

I was operating under the assumption that the translationed versions
showed up automatically, as they did on the old website code.  I wasn't
aware that they didn't, anymore.  In 4 years (or more)?  this is the
first time anyone has brought it up.

I think you actually have to go back two generations of the website code for that. Which is definitely more than 4 years..

--

Re: [translators] [press-regional] 9.6 Release Translations

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi Magnus,

  that could be the case, but I am usually quite demanding when it comes to localisation (I would not have realised this in the first place). Given that 9.5 was released in January (when my daughter was born), I might not have been fully very attentive and responsive. But as far as 9.4 is concerned, I am pretty sure I tested it.

  In any case it is not important. What's important is to find an easy way for non English speaking people to read the press release. Let's decide a way and move on.

Thanks,
Gabriele

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia - Director
 gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Date:
  that could be the case, but I am usually quite demanding when it comes to localisation (I would not have realised this in the first place). Given that 9.5 was released in January (when my daughter was born), I might not have been fully very attentive and responsive. But as far as 9.4 is concerned, I am pretty sure I tested it.

Well, feel free to look up the git history of the current website which is online. It goes back to 2009. It was deployed in production in 2011. It has never had any support for that. It was deployed just after the release of 9.1. So what you tested on 9.4 was at least not the www.postgresql.org site. For 9.1, it may have been there (I am not as certain about the old website code). Since then, it has been links from /about/press/ that has been the only thing.

That may not be ideal, but that's how it's been.

  In any case it is not important. What's important is to find an easy way for non English speaking people to read the press release. Let's decide a way and move on.

Agreed.

We removed automatic browser-based localization for good reasons (for one, in that case we need to update all languages at the same time always, or pages go out of sync). I would definitely not be happy with suggestions to bring that back.

But maybe something along the line of what we do for docs version - with a set of links at the top of each presskit showing which other languages it exists in?

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> But maybe something along the line of what we do for docs version - with a
> set of links at the top of each presskit showing which other languages it
> exists in?

This is similar to what we do in the wiki, and IMO it's good enough.  +1
for that approach.

Date:
On 09/30/2016 10:10 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> But maybe something along the line of what we do for docs version - with a
>> set of links at the top of each presskit showing which other languages it
>> exists in?
>
> This is similar to what we do in the wiki, and IMO it's good enough.  +1
> for that approach.

If someone else has a chance to do this before Monday, be my guest.
Otherwise I'll tackle it then.