Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> sponsor table:
>
> id - serial pk
> stype - the type of sponsor
> description - how they sponsor
name - sponsor name
link - sponsor link
image - sponsor logo image location
location - sponsor location (of HQ, if appropriate)
source - source of sponsor information

> sponsor_type:
>
> stype: the type of sponsor (pk)

I'd like to expand this system to cover doing the full sponsor breakdown we
discussed and approved 1.5 years ago but never implemented.  So as long as
I can stuff giving categories into "stype", I'm good with it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:15:45 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> > sponsor table:
> >
> > id - serial pk
> > stype - the type of sponsor
> > description - how they sponsor
> name - sponsor name

Doh... I had that on my screen, don't know why I didn't paste.

> link - sponsor link

Sure.

> image - sponsor logo image location

Sure.

> location - sponsor location (of HQ, if appropriate)

If we are doing that, I want full info (address, contact etc.. not
exposed of course).

> source - source of sponsor information

What type of source are we talking about here?

> > sponsor_type:
> >
> > stype: the type of sponsor (pk)

We need to add a sort column here, so we know which one shows first.

> I'd like to expand this system to cover doing the full sponsor
> breakdown we discussed and approved 1.5 years ago but never
> implemented.  So as long as I can stuff giving categories into

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was discussed, it was never
approved and as you are fully aware I had reservations about it.
Further later in conversations we discussed a different scenario.
However, this is a technical discussion and we can get into those
details later.

> "stype", I'm good with it.

Which we will be able to do.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 03 April 2008 21:22, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:15:45 -0700
>
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> > > sponsor table:
> > >
> > > id - serial pk
> > > stype - the type of sponsor
> > > description - how they sponsor
> >
> > name - sponsor name
>
> Doh... I had that on my screen, don't know why I didn't paste.
>
> > link - sponsor link
>
> Sure.
>
> > image - sponsor logo image location
>
> Sure.
>
> > location - sponsor location (of HQ, if appropriate)
>
> If we are doing that, I want full info (address, contact etc.. not
> exposed of course).
>
> > source - source of sponsor information
>
> What type of source are we talking about here?
>
> > > sponsor_type:
> > >
> > > stype: the type of sponsor (pk)
>
> We need to add a sort column here, so we know which one shows first.
>
> > I'd like to expand this system to cover doing the full sponsor
> > breakdown we discussed and approved 1.5 years ago but never
> > implemented.  So as long as I can stuff giving categories into
>
> Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was discussed, it was never
> approved and as you are fully aware I had reservations about it.
> Further later in conversations we discussed a different scenario.
> However, this is a technical discussion and we can get into those
> details later.

It's not clear to me that you haven't already opened this up by adding the
stype field.  I don't see anything on the current sponsors page that
indicates what type of sponsor people are, so you've made a subtle but
substantive change to the system defining the schema as you did.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:12:42 -0400
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > I'd like to expand this system to cover doing the full sponsor
> > > breakdown we discussed and approved 1.5 years ago but never
> > > implemented.  So as long as I can stuff giving categories into
> >
> > Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was discussed, it was never
> > approved and as you are fully aware I had reservations about it.
> > Further later in conversations we discussed a different scenario.
> > However, this is a technical discussion and we can get into those
> > details later.
> >

> It's not clear to me that you haven't already opened this up by
> adding the stype field.  I don't see anything on the current sponsors
> page that indicates what type of sponsor people are, so you've made a
> subtle but substantive change to the system defining the schema as
> you did.

Categorization is going to happen. The question is how, which is not a
question for this thread.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 04:10:22 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Categorization is going to happen. The question is how, which is not a
> question for this thread.

Or more to the point, I really don't want to clutter of a technical
discussion with something that belongs on advocacy (or somewhere else).
For the categorization we need a name and a sort order at a minimum. So
that is what I want to put in place for now.

When we hammer out "what" the categorization is going to be, we can
implement the actual changes.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was discussed, it was never
> approved and as you are fully aware I had reservations about it.
> Further later in conversations we discussed a different scenario.
> However, this is a technical discussion and we can get into those
> details later.

It was discussed on this list until there were no objections, and then
discussed and approved in an SPI/JPUG/Fr meeting at the Anniversary.  We
might want to change some specifics now that there are more groups
involved, but I also think you should hesitate before restarting the whole
discussion process, since getting up what we decided on 1.5 years ago has
taken long enough.

In other words, if you start rearguing it, then it's likely sponsor listing
will never go up.  And I don't think that satisfies *anyone*.  It's the
web site design all over again.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>  It was discussed on this list until there were no objections, and then
>  discussed and approved in an SPI/JPUG/Fr meeting at the Anniversary.

What does it have to do with SPI, JPUG or Fr (as groups, not the
individuals in them)?

--
Dave Page

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 04 April 2008 07:14, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 04:10:22 -0700
>
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Categorization is going to happen. The question is how, which is not a
> > question for this thread.
>
> Or more to the point, I really don't want to clutter of a technical
> discussion with something that belongs on advocacy (or somewhere else).
> For the categorization we need a name and a sort order at a minimum. So
> that is what I want to put in place for now.
>
> When we hammer out "what" the categorization is going to be, we can
> implement the actual changes.

But to implement the current setup, we don't need any of that (we can sort by
name only), so we should probably leave out the categorization untill we
actually know what that should look like.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> What does it have to do with SPI, JPUG or Fr (as groups, not the
> individuals in them)?

Because at the time those were our only fundraising vehicles.  It was also
an open session and several people not in any of those orgs attended.

Now, of course, we'd need to pull in PGUS, PGEU, and PostgreSQL.Br.
However, I stand by the idea that the donor schema from then is still
basically OK and we can put it up and then incrementally improve it.  If
we try for the 100% perfect donor listings, then it'll just be the website
redesign all over again.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>

>  > What does it have to do with SPI, JPUG or Fr (as groups, not the
>  > individuals in them)?
>
>  Because at the time those were our only fundraising vehicles.  It was also
>  an open session and several people not in any of those orgs attended.

Don't suppose you recall what it clashed with do you? I don't remember
it at all.

>  Now, of course, we'd need to pull in PGUS, PGEU, and PostgreSQL.Br.

No, I don't think we do - we're only interested in sponsors of
postgresql.org (and possibly family, per our offlist conversation) on
www.postgresql.org. The regional groups have their own websites and
use funding for their own purposes, so I believe its up to them to
recognise their own sponsors.

--
Dave Page

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
damien clochard
Date:
> >  Now, of course, we'd need to pull in PGUS, PGEU, and PostgreSQL.Br.
>
> No, I don't think we do - we're only interested in sponsors of
> postgresql.org (and possibly family, per our offlist conversation) on
> www.postgresql.org. The regional groups have their own websites and
> use funding for their own purposes, so I believe its up to them to
> recognise their own sponsors.

Exactly. At least this is what we are working on in the french-speaking users
association. In a few days we will publish on postgresql.fr a web page with
the listing of the sponsors ( although we rather use the terms "corporate
members" ) along with the active contributors of the association.

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> No, I don't think we do - we're only interested in sponsors of
> postgresql.org (and possibly family, per our offlist conversation) on
> www.postgresql.org. The regional groups have their own websites and
> use funding for their own purposes, so I believe its up to them to
> recognise their own sponsors.

For financial sponsors, there's no way to give www.postgesql.org money.  You can only give it to a regional group or
SPI.

That's why I was planning to offer consolidated listings of mid-to-upper
-level donors on www.postgresql.org.

--Josh

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Josh,

I meant the regionals. Obviously donations to postgresql.org go thru
spi - only they should be listed on www.postgresql.org

/D

--
Dave Page

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> I meant the regionals. Obviously donations to postgresql.org go thru
> spi - only they should be listed on www.postgresql.org

I don't think it's fair counting only SPI for www.postgresql.org.
Americans who donate to SPI get tax deductions, but citizens of other
countries do not.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
That's as maybe, but there's no other way for non USians to donate to
postgresql.org than thru Spi.

--
Dave Page

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:51:33 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> That's as maybe, but there's no other way for non USians to donate to
> postgresql.org than thru Spi.

That would depend on what the definition is for donating to
postgresql.org.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Databasing sponsors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> > That's as maybe, but there's no other way for non USians to donate to
> > postgresql.org than thru Spi.
>
> That would depend on what the definition is for donating to
> postgresql.org.

My personal opinion is that donations to *any* community-owned PostgreSQL
formally constituted NGO (including JPUG, SPI, PGUS, PGEU, ITPUG,
PostgreSQL.Fr and PostgreSQL.Br) should be counted.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun