lists topic change

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Attachment

Re: lists topic change

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After recent discussion on pgsql-eu it is obvious the description is
> not valid. I only did it for -eu-general because I assume the other
> communities would want to also make their own definition of what their
> lists are for.

This is not valid for pgsql-es-ayuda.  We discuss anything, technical
questions are the most common.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"XML!" Exclaimed C++.  "What are you doing here? You're not a programming

Re: lists topic change

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 12:55 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> After recent discussion on pgsql-eu it is obvious the description is
> not valid. I only did it for -eu-general because I assume the other
> communities would want to also make their own definition of what their
> lists are for.

Josh, the description is perfectly valid already.

You were asked not to post to an EU list about a non-EU topic by two
people, with nobody supporting your position.

If I insisted on posting in English to the Spanish list, I would imagine
a similar reaction, though out of respect I would not push to see if
that was the case.

Each list has a sensibly defined audience and we shouldn't be too strict
about that. It should be clear you don't do that and I would expect any
regional list to be the same way.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: lists topic change

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:38:48 +0000
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 12:55 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > After recent discussion on pgsql-eu it is obvious the description is
> > not valid. I only did it for -eu-general because I assume the other
> > communities would want to also make their own definition of what
> > their lists are for.
>
> Josh, the description is perfectly valid already.

Obviously I disagree. I was confused by what very little non
descriptive description it has. I was trying to make it clearer for
people.

> You were asked not to post to an EU list about a non-EU topic by two
> people, with nobody supporting your position.

What in gods name are you talking about? I wasn't pushing a "position"
something that in your blind stubbornness you have yet to figure out. I
was trying to understand the scope of the list which *is not documented
anywhere*

> If I insisted on posting in English to the Spanish list, I would
> imagine a similar reaction, though out of respect I would not push to
> see if that was the case.

Somehow you have made absolutely zero sense in this sentence. I didn't
post English to a Spanish list. I posted about a community conference
to a community list.

I now realize that the community list in question (eu-general) exists
to talk about specific European issues. I did not know that before as
it is *NOT DOCUMENTED ANYWHERE*. I thought, it was just like
pgsql-general except that it was centered around the European
geographical area.

It has since been pointed out to me that I was incorrect in my
assumption which is fine but I felt that it should be documented so
others don't make the same mistake.

I have zero idea why you have gotten all upset about this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: lists topic change

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:49:27PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > You were asked not to post to an EU list about a non-EU topic by two
> > people, with nobody supporting your position.
> >

> What in gods name are you talking about? I wasn't pushing a "position"
> something that in your blind stubbornness you have yet to figure out. I
> was trying to understand the scope of the list which *is not documented
> anywhere*

I'd really like to suggest that we avoid re-hashing the argument from there
here.

Josh claims not to have found the old description clear, and I am not sure I
can see evidence that his view is unreasonable: if you weren't already on
the list, you might well not have known what it was all about.  Therefore,
he has proposed a clearer description.  If you don't like his clearer
description, I urge you to provide a patch to that text.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: lists topic change

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:57 -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:49:27PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > You were asked not to post to an EU list about a non-EU topic by two
> > > people, with nobody supporting your position.
> > >

> > What in gods name are you talking about? I wasn't pushing a "position"
> > something that in your blind stubbornness you have yet to figure out. I
> > was trying to understand the scope of the list which *is not documented
> > anywhere*
>
> I'd really like to suggest that we avoid re-hashing the argument from there
> here.

Agreed.

> Josh claims not to have found the old description clear, and I am not sure I
> can see evidence that his view is unreasonable: if you weren't already on
> the list, you might well not have known what it was all about.  Therefore,
> he has proposed a clearer description.  If you don't like his clearer
> description, I urge you to provide a patch to that text.

IMHO no change is required.

If a change of definition is desired, then perhaps the EU list is the
right place to discuss it? My view may not be that of the majority.

Date:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:41:00PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> If a change of definition is desired, then perhaps the EU list is the
> right place to discuss it? My view may not be that of the majority.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a change of definition.  It is rather the
description of the definition that is at issue.  Perhaps someone subscribed
could ask on that list how the list describes itself, and someone could
summarise that in a patch to the description?  (I am not subscribed; and,
being as I'm in Canada, don't intend to do.)

Date: