Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Somebody get a hold of me so we can do username/passwords etc...

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.

> On 14/2/06 18:00, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> To setup user accounts, to install/upgrade PostgreSQL/Aspseek/apache, to
>> Well you shouldn't need root access for any of that. Nor should you be
>> upgrading anything but Aspseek. If we need something upgrading we will
>> gladly handle it.
>>
>>> fix things when they go wrong... We will continue to run and manage
>>> things on a day to day basis, just with Command Prompt as backup.
>>>

>>> I thought this was a dedicated machine?
>> It is a dedicated machine. We don't allow root access to anyone on any
>> of the machines we host, regardless if it is dedicated.
>>
>> This way we don't get weird things like people not knowing "who"
>> installed an alpha version of mailman (like on pgFoundry).
>>
>> Our experience shows that if you think you need root access, chances
>> are you don't. From your above requirements, you don't need root access.
>>
>> You do need some group perms setup, sudo ability to a couple of
>> administrative commands.
>>
>> I know this is a little different then how the community is used to
>> working but we have a solid track record and this is one of the reasons.
>
> Hi Joshua,
>
> You are right that what you are proposing is not the way we are used to
> working, and having consulted with the other admins in the community
> (specifically Marc and Magnus), we agree that we do not want to change the
> way we work and have to rely on people that we don't know, and have no
> intimate knowledge of our requirements or systems in a time when we might
> need almost instant response in the middle of the night.
>
> We would be prepared to compromise and be restricted to root control of a VM
> if you're prepared to setup the box as a Linux Vserver however. That would
> ensure that only your staff have control over the host OS, allowing them to
> support the system and network etc, but give us the control we require over
> the software we run.
>
> Regards, Dave

Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.

Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
feeling that you need "control".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Search machine is ready

From
Dave Page

On 14/2/06 21:38, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>>

> I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.

Yes, which is why I discussed it with the community admins before responding
to you.

> Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
> work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
> have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.
>
> Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
> root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
> feeling that you need "control".

Yes, we do. The community should control things, not individual companies.
None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have gone out
of their way to deny us the ability to control the services we provide, and
as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things work we do not
feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1 support tech in the
middle of the night who has no idea what our server does or how it works is
in any way a good thing.

This is a dedicated server for the PostgreSQL project, that you offered to
us knowing full well we were expecting full root access to. Why is it such a
bad thing to provide exactly that?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

> On 14/2/06 21:38, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave Page wrote:
>> I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.
>
> Yes, which is why I discussed it with the community admins before responding
> to you.
>
>> Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
>> work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
>> have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.
>>
>> Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
>> root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
>> feeling that you need "control".
>
> Yes, we do. The community should control things, not individual companies.

Are you saying that Command Prompt is not a part of the community? Or
myself for that matter?

> None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have gone out
> of their way to deny us the ability to control the services we provide,

I am not going out of my way. I am not sure why you have such a problem
with this.

1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for all people
that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.

2. You still haven't provided a single reason why you "need" root access.

> as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things work we do not
> feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1 support tech in the
> middle of the night who has no idea what our server does or how it works is
> in any way a good thing.

What level 1 support tech would this be? I don't have any level 1
support techs. Remember, we are not a hosting company.

> This is a dedicated server for the PostgreSQL project, that you offered to
> us knowing full well we were expecting full root access to.

Well no. I didn't expect that you would need root access because I have
50 dedicated machines at the facility none of which need root access.

I am not trying to be difficult here but all I see is, "Well we like to
do things as root and since this is only a community machine you should
let us."

I on the other hand am trying to bring a certain level of stability and
quality to the infrastructure. That requires a level of discipline which
means we use things like sudo, acls and group rights. We don't use root.

> Why is it such a
> bad thing to provide exactly that?

Dave, come on. You are smarter then that. System Administrator 101 says
you don't use root unless you have too. You don't give root to those who
don't need it.

I refer to #2 above. Nobody has given me one task that you would need to
require root on this machine.

You will need to configure apache... I will make sure you can do so via
included confs.

You will need to configure Aspseek... You will be able to do so.

You will need to be able to stop/start postgresql. You will be able to
do so via sudo.

You will need to be able stop/start apache... You will be able to do so
via sudo.

You will need to be able to add users... I can give you sudo rights to
do that (although that scares me a bit).

You want to be able to upgrade software? That should be done via
scheduled times with a plan in place in case there is an issue and if
part of the core OS (postgresql/httpd) should be done via apt-get if at
all possible.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards, Dave.

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need
> >> for root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is
> >> outside of a feeling that you need "control".
> >
> > Yes, we do. The community should control things, not
> individual companies.
>
> Are you saying that Command Prompt is not a part of the
> community? Or myself for that matter?

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. The point I beleive is
that your "support staff" is probabliy not reading -www and the other
community lists regularly, and therefor not up to date on every part of
how things are run.
And specificall, I would assume he's referring to the "web community" -
as in the ppl working activeliy with the web sites and serviers - which
is a lot smaller still. (But hey, we'd welcome additions there)

> > None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have
> > gone out of their way to deny us the ability to control the
> services
> > we provide,
>
> I am not going out of my way. I am not sure why you have such
> a problem with this.
>
> 1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for
> all people that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.

Really? For "server hosting" as well, or do you just do "web hosting"?

> 2. You still haven't provided a single reason why you "need"
> root access.

AFAIK, you need root to restart apache, just as an example. (So it can
bind to port 80). Say after a recompile because you needed to tweak a
module. Sure, you can set up sudo for each individual command, but that
means you have to know everything ahead of time.

> > as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things
> work we do
> > not feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1
> support tech
> > in the middle of the night who has no idea what our server
> does or how
> > it works is in any way a good thing.
>
> What level 1 support tech would this be? I don't have any
> level 1 support techs. Remember, we are not a hosting company.

Whatever people you'd page in the middle of the night if things go down
:-) Or is that you all the time?

> > This is a dedicated server for the PostgreSQL project, that you
> > offered to us knowing full well we were expecting full root
> access to.
>
> Well no. I didn't expect that you would need root access
> because I have 50 dedicated machines at the facility none of
> which need root access.
>
> I am not trying to be difficult here but all I see is, "Well
> we like to do things as root and since this is only a
> community machine you should let us."

That's not really so. Maybe there weren't enough details in the original
mail. We do beleive there is a *reason* for it. See above for one
example.

> I on the other hand am trying to bring a certain level of
> stability and quality to the infrastructure. That requires a
> level of discipline which means we use things like sudo, acls
> and group rights. We don't use root.

I do beleive we'd be fine without root as long as we could do all the
things required - it's not root in the absolute that's needed. This does
include recompiling and restarting "line of business" apps like apache.
(But not necessariliy things like changing system libs or kernel - I'm
fine with some on-site tech dealing with that)

> You will need to configure apache... I will make sure you can
> do so via included confs.

See above - config not enough, recompile/replace needed. For
flexibility. (Needed is always a relative matter of course, but it would
certainly make things a hell of a lot easier)

> You will need to be able to stop/start postgresql. You will
> be able to do so via sudo.
>
> You will need to be able stop/start apache... You will be
> able to do so via sudo.
>
> You will need to be able to add users... I can give you sudo
> rights to do that (although that scares me a bit).

Well as said above, we can set everything up with sudo.  But that cuts
down flexibility quite a bit, since every time you need to do something
"outside the box", you're stuck.

But in general, if you're scared of the people maintaining the other
community servers, then perhaps there is a bigger problem...

> You want to be able to upgrade software? That should be done
> via scheduled times with a plan in place in case there is an
> issue and if part of the core OS (postgresql/httpd) should be
> done via apt-get if at all possible.

For core-os, absolutely. For LOB, we've learned from the stuff we have
on the other machines that building them from source is more or less
required. Using the pre-packaged ones isn't flexible enough when it
comes to which modules are loaded and not.

And assuming you test things properly (say on a different port) before
you do it, you can do most upgrades with sub-second downtime, so they
can be done without scheduling a particular service window. Some things
take longer, and need to be scheduled.

//Magnus

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>> None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have
>>> gone out of their way to deny us the ability to control the
>> services
>>> we provide,
>> I am not going out of my way. I am not sure why you have such
>> a problem with this.
>>
>> 1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for
>> all people that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.
>
> Really? For "server hosting" as well, or do you just do "web hosting"?

Yes Really. Even for dedicated machines (which is majority of our
hosting). Nobody gets root access.

> AFAIK, you need root to restart apache, just as an example. (So it can
> bind to port 80). Say after a recompile because you needed to tweak a
> module. Sure, you can set up sudo for each individual command, but that
> means you have to know everything ahead of time.

Well I would hope that you would know everything ahead of time. Of
course nobody is perfect but if we actually document this machine we
shouldn't have any problems. We could even (and I am happy to do this)
set up a Trac for the machine so we know what the heck is going on with it.

Actually a Trac for all of pgsql-www might be a pretty good idea.

>>> it works is in any way a good thing.
>> What level 1 support tech would this be? I don't have any
>> level 1 support techs. Remember, we are not a hosting company.
>
> Whatever people you'd page in the middle of the night if things go down
> :-) Or is that you all the time?

It isn't always me, but it is never a tier 1 and if we do what
we are supposed to do :) this will be documented and wouldn't be an issue.

>> I am not trying to be difficult here but all I see is, "Well
>> we like to do things as root and since this is only a
>> community machine you should let us."
>
> That's not really so. Maybe there weren't enough details in the original
> mail. We do beleive there is a *reason* for it. See above for one
> example.

Well I again refer back to using sudo.

>> I on the other hand am trying to bring a certain level of
>> stability and quality to the infrastructure. That requires a
>> level of discipline which means we use things like sudo, acls
>> and group rights. We don't use root.
>
> I do beleive we'd be fine without root as long as we could do all the
> things required - it's not root in the absolute that's needed. This does
> include recompiling and restarting "line of business" apps like apache.
> (But not necessariliy things like changing system libs or kernel - I'm
> fine with some on-site tech dealing with that)

Well I would question the need to recompile apache (that is what apxs is
for) but I get your point.

If it really comes do to you "needing" to recompile apache then we can
do what we do for the buildfarm which is proxy to a private apache
instance that is completely controlled via userspace.

>> You will need to configure apache... I will make sure you can
>> do so via included confs.
>
> See above - config not enough, recompile/replace needed. For
> flexibility. (Needed is always a relative matter of course, but it would
> certainly make things a hell of a lot easier)

A lot of this argument seems to come down to making sure things are
available in general. I am one of the most available guys when it comes
to the community. I am not hard to find ;). If you need something that
isn't there, we can make sure it happens.

> Well as said above, we can set everything up with sudo.  But that cuts
> down flexibility quite a bit, since every time you need to do something
> "outside the box", you're stuck.

Not stuck, just need to plan :). Again, if we need something outside the
box we can make sure that happens.

> But in general, if you're scared of the people maintaining the other
> community servers, then perhaps there is a bigger problem...

It isn't an issue of being scared. It is an issue of liability,
security, and insuring a quality of service. The root user is a foot
gun. I would prefer you all keep your toes :)

> For core-os, absolutely. For LOB, we've learned from the stuff we have
> on the other machines that building them from source is more or less
> required. Using the pre-packaged ones isn't flexible enough when it
> comes to which modules are loaded and not.

Well we are getting a little semantic here, and I would actually love to
have this discussion on a different thread because my experience is
different. (there are exceptions of course)

> And assuming you test things properly (say on a different port) before
> you do it, you can do most upgrades with sub-second downtime, so they
> can be done without scheduling a particular service window. Some things
> take longer, and need to be scheduled.

It should still be scheduled so people know it is happening "just in
case" :)

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus

Re: Search machine is ready

From
Dave Page

On 14/2/06 22:17, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Are you saying that Command Prompt is not a part of the community? Or
> myself for that matter?

Of course not. I'm saying that I consider the term community to mean more
than 1 entity within our collective group.

> 1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for all people
> that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.

But you say below you are not a hosting company?!?!

> 2. You still haven't provided a single reason why you "need" root access.

Yes I did. Not the best admittedly, but all valid reasons.

>> as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things work we do not
>> feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1 support tech in the
>> middle of the night who has no idea what our server does or how it works is
>> in any way a good thing.
>
> What level 1 support tech would this be? I don't have any level 1
> support techs. Remember, we are not a hosting company.

OK, whoever gets the pleasure of answering the phone at 3AM your time and
being told to fix X, Y & Z now because someone has found a way to spam
through some bit of sofwatre previously thought to be secure.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2006-01/msg00119.php

> I am not trying to be difficult here but all I see is, "Well we like to
> do things as root and since this is only a community machine you should
> let us."
>
> I on the other hand am trying to bring a certain level of stability and
> quality to the infrastructure. That requires a level of discipline which
> means we use things like sudo, acls and group rights. We don't use root.

>> Why is it such a
>> bad thing to provide exactly that?
>
> Dave, come on. You are smarter then that. System Administrator 101 says
> you don't use root unless you have too. You don't give root to those who
> don't need it.

No, we don't. However we do give root to enough trusted individuals with
intimate knowledge of the system to ensure it can fulfill al the tasks it is
required to at all times.

> I refer to #2 above. Nobody has given me one task that you would need to
> require root on this machine.

OK, example: major disaster on another box- we temporarily need to move
another site over which requires an addition PHP option be enabled. That has
happened in a situation when we needed to do the job immediately or face
being slashdotted on release day.

> You will need to configure apache... I will make sure you can do so via
> included confs.
>
> You will need to configure Aspseek... You will be able to do so.
>
> You will need to be able to stop/start postgresql. You will be able to
> do so via sudo.
>
> You will need to be able stop/start apache... You will be able to do so
> via sudo.
>
> You will need to be able to add users... I can give you sudo rights to
> do that (although that scares me a bit).

All fine, as long as we know in advance every little thing we might need to
do which seems highly unlikely.

> You want to be able to upgrade software? That should be done via
> scheduled times with a plan in place in case there is an issue and if
> part of the core OS (postgresql/httpd) should be done via apt-get if at
> all possible.

Which is rarely flexible enough based on past experience of various *nixes.

I still don't see why this is a problem given that this is a dedicated
machine, unless you're scared that we will break it because we don't know
what we're doing (human error not being a factor as your people are no more
safe from that than we are).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Which is rarely flexible enough based on past experience of various *nixes.
>
> I still don't see why this is a problem given that this is a dedicated
> machine, unless you're scared that we will break it because we don't know
> what we're doing (human error not being a factor as your people are no more
> safe from that than we are).
>
> Regards, Dave.

I am not scared *you* will break it. I am scared *someone* may break it.
The more people that have some level of administrative control the more
chance somebody is going to screw it up.

I go back to my mention of nobody knowing who installed an alpha version
of mailman on pgFoundry.

My only real goal here beyond business requirements (and yes they do
apply because this machine is on a business network) is to insure we
have a very stable and secure environment for search.

Unless we decide to move it to a different search platform, this machine
should not change -- ever. Production machines don't change. They are
static except for the data the provide. There shouldn't be any
development on this machine.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> 1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for all people
>> that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.
>
> But you say below you are not a hosting company?!?!

I meant we are not a RackSpace or Hub.org. The majority (over 90%) of
our revenue does not come from hosting. Hosting is a value add we
provide to the community and our customers who require a level of love
that other customers don't.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Search machine is ready

Date:
> Unless we decide to move it to a different search platform, this machine
> should not change -- ever. Production machines don't change.

Hmm ... obviously Red Hat is a mirage, because their entire business
model is built on the fact that production machines *do* require
updates.  Especially ones that provide services to the net, and
therefore can't be completely hidden behind a firewall.

Somebody's got to be responsible for updating the software on this
server, and being prepared to do so on short notice, and being prepared
to update any part of it from kernel on up.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Search machine is ready

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Unless we decide to move it to a different search platform, this machine
>> should not change -- ever. Production machines don't change.
>
> Hmm ... obviously Red Hat is a mirage, because their entire business
> model is built on the fact that production machines *do* require
> updates.  Especially ones that provide services to the net, and
> therefore can't be completely hidden behind a firewall.
>
> Somebody's got to be responsible for updating the software on this
> server, and being prepared to do so on short notice, and being prepared
> to update any part of it from kernel on up.

I was not speaking about updates. I was talking about something such as
recompiling apache to add a php module. Of course we have to apply
security updates etc..

And we are prepared to do so on short notice, I blindly assumed that CMD
would be responsible for a good portion of this as we offered to host
the environment in the first place.

I wasn't looking for a plug and run(away) solution for the community.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Re: Search machine is ready

From
Dave Page

On 14/2/06 23:24, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> And we are prepared to do so on short notice, I blindly assumed that CMD
> would be responsible for a good portion of this as we offered to host
> the environment in the first place.

Which is great as far as the core OS goes, and we'd be grateful to CMD for
handling it. Our wish for root access is to enable us to deal with non-OS
related issues (upgrading a streamlined Apache build for example) and to
handle unforseen problems that you or your staff might not be able to deal
with immediately, or have enough knowledge of the specifics to deal with
without hand-holding.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Search machine is ready

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 23:41 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Which is great as far as the core OS goes, and we'd be grateful to CMD for
> handling it. Our wish for root access is to enable us to deal with non-OS
> related issues (upgrading a streamlined Apache build for example) and to
> handle unforseen problems that you or your staff might not be able to deal
> with immediately, or have enough knowledge of the specifics to deal with
> without hand-holding.

Dave, why don't you use the vendor packages? I believe Joshua will use
Fedora Core, and I'd use vendor Apache, etc.

For example, today I upgraded RPM's of Ferengi and now one will need to
recompile Apache and other stuff as every new version is released -- Why
do we lose time with that?

As a part of WWW team and CMD, I'd be happy to coordinate the stuff,
BTW.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Search machine is ready

From