Re: Search machine is ready - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Search machine is ready
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:

> On 14/2/06 21:38, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave Page wrote:
>> I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.
>
> Yes, which is why I discussed it with the community admins before responding
> to you.
>
>> Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
>> work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
>> have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.
>>
>> Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
>> root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
>> feeling that you need "control".
>
> Yes, we do. The community should control things, not individual companies.

Are you saying that Command Prompt is not a part of the community? Or
myself for that matter?

> None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have gone out
> of their way to deny us the ability to control the services we provide,

I am not going out of my way. I am not sure why you have such a problem
with this.

1. This is the way that Command Prompt, Inc. does hosting for all people
that it hosts. Nobody gets root access.

2. You still haven't provided a single reason why you "need" root access.

> as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things work we do not
> feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1 support tech in the
> middle of the night who has no idea what our server does or how it works is
> in any way a good thing.

What level 1 support tech would this be? I don't have any level 1
support techs. Remember, we are not a hosting company.

> This is a dedicated server for the PostgreSQL project, that you offered to
> us knowing full well we were expecting full root access to.

Well no. I didn't expect that you would need root access because I have
50 dedicated machines at the facility none of which need root access.

I am not trying to be difficult here but all I see is, "Well we like to
do things as root and since this is only a community machine you should
let us."

I on the other hand am trying to bring a certain level of stability and
quality to the infrastructure. That requires a level of discipline which
means we use things like sudo, acls and group rights. We don't use root.

> Why is it such a
> bad thing to provide exactly that?

Dave, come on. You are smarter then that. System Administrator 101 says
you don't use root unless you have too. You don't give root to those who
don't need it.

I refer to #2 above. Nobody has given me one task that you would need to
require root on this machine.

You will need to configure apache... I will make sure you can do so via
included confs.

You will need to configure Aspseek... You will be able to do so.

You will need to be able to stop/start postgresql. You will be able to
do so via sudo.

You will need to be able stop/start apache... You will be able to do so
via sudo.

You will need to be able to add users... I can give you sudo rights to
do that (although that scares me a bit).

You want to be able to upgrade software? That should be done via
scheduled times with a plan in place in case there is an issue and if
part of the core OS (postgresql/httpd) should be done via apt-get if at
all possible.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake