From: Gevik babakhani [mailto:gevik@xs4all.nl]
Sent: 21 September 2005 10:41
To: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Cc: Dave Page
Subject: PGDN and CVS

Hi Dave,

Hi Gevik,

Regarding the PGDN.

  1. Let’s say we produce a directory with all kinds of static html,images sample sql scripts etc… How do we want to update the whole PGDN within our CVS.

We need a script that will traverse the directory structure and perform the appropriate CVS add/remove operations based on what it finds, and then commits the whole tree. It sounds hard at first thought, but I don't think it is when thought about further - for example, we hierarchically traverse the tree, and for each directory or file we find, we check CVS/Entries to see if it exists in CVS. If not, we do a CVS ADD on it. When we've processed the files, we then go line by line through CVS/Entries, and CVS REMOVE any files or directories that don't exist any more. That should be a relatively trivial perl script for someone familiar with perl.

  1. Do we want to put the static PGDN files in CVS anyway? Should we keep the PGDN files separate not mixing with the current site’s CVS?

Yes, we do want them in CVS because we build the entire from there & the backend database. we don't want to start pulling in content from additional places as that just makes it much harder to rebuild the servers if there is ever a problem.

Regards, Dave.

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>     1.    Do we want to put the static PGDN files in CVS
> anyway? Should we keep the PGDN files separate not mixing
> with the current site's CVS?
>

> Yes, we do want them in CVS because we build the entire from
> there & the backend database. we don't want to start pulling
> in content from additional places as that just makes it much
> harder to rebuild the servers if there is ever a problem.

While I agree with you in general, here's a point I'd liek to add. :-)

Gevik, if I get your latest blog post right, you are back to a custom
CMS and not using Drupal? Then, IMHO, another option is if you can build
the site completely with PHP code on our site framework and store all
the data in the site database. In this case I see no more reason to
store the static pages for this one than there is for the docs or other
parts of the site. But this assumes that *all* the code required to
maintain the site is in our framework, and we're not relying on an
outside CMS.

//Magnus

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
I have hacked with the current framework while ago. I almost know how things
work. (Dave has been a great help for my questions...).

My plan is to transfer the things I have created with drupal to the current
framework also :)

I was also thinking of letting everything in the site's database. Why would
we want to export things and then re-import them back in the CVS? But then
again this is just my opinion. The decisions are on the masters :)

Gevik

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Dave Page"

Database is fine with me as an alternative to CVS, just as long as it
can be generated out into a static format for replication to the
front-end servers.

What I don't want is something completely separate that requires
significant effort to keep synced up, or to recover in the event of a
disaster.

Regards, Dave

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gevik,

> My plan is to transfer the things I have created with drupal to the
> current framework also :)

Not to discourage you or anything, but I'm extremely skeptical of using a
custom CMS not supported by an outside project.   What happens if you
leave?  Why are we re-inventing what 1,000 other CMSes have done before?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Josh,

I'm not discouraged in anyway... I have just been looking over and over for
a CMS that we could use in our project. Time after time I end up with
commercial products. And even if they are opensource, they need to be so
much customized that one has to put more time in customizing the CMS
framework rather than building the actual requirement.

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gevik,

> I'm not discouraged in anyway... I have just been looking over and over
> for a CMS that we could use in our project. Time after time I end up
> with commercial products. And even if they are opensource, they need to
> be so much customized that one has to put more time in customizing the
> CMS framework rather than building the actual requirement.

What is it you're trying to implement, exactly, that you don't find
supported?  Is it the tree structure?

Even if existing CMSes require customization, I think it'd be better to
work with that project and try to get them involved in the feature.  As
far as I know, the only CMS you've really tried is Drupal.

Both Bricolage and Framewerk are intimate with the PostgreSQL community and
could be counted on to work with you.  I don't think you even looked at
Bricolage after Marc set it up.

I also don't think you've evaluated "more time to implement" using valid
criteria.  If you do a custom CMS, you're going to need to impement all of
the common stuff yourself:
Authentication
User management (including "e-mail me my password, etc.")
Approval/rights structures
Versioning admin
Editors (inc. wyswyg and/or bbcode edit)
RSS
etc.
Did your really add up coding all of the above compared to customizing an
existing system?

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, but from my perspective half a CMS
is worse than none.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
I just want to get my hands building :)

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Is this Framewerk the same as www.Framewerk.org?

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gevik,

> I just want to get my hands building :):)

Oh, I can understand your frustration.   I often feel the same way when
dealing with GForge.  However, I have a realistic idea on how long it would
take to implement all the Administrative Crap We Can't Live Without.

> Is this Framewerk the same as www.Framewerk.org?

Yes.  Looks like Gavin has taken the site down pending the release of the new
version.  Framewerk doesn't have much of a community (yet) but has the
advantage of having the lead developer on this list (hi, Gavin!).   It's also
taken care of the admin overhead like users and permissions and stuff.

So if you can't deal with Bric because it's Perl & Template toolkit, then I'd
talk to Gavin about extending Framewerk.

But please, please, please don't start from scratch!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Yes, is my pet project.  I'll send you some info on the framewerk list.

Gavin

On Sep 21, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Gevik babakhani wrote:

> Is this Framewerk the same as www.Framewerk.org?

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
Kenneth Marshall
Date:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:57:26AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Gevik,
>
> > My plan is to transfer the things I have created with drupal to the
> > current framework also :)
>
> Not to discourage you or anything, but I'm extremely skeptical of using a
> custom CMS not supported by an outside project.   What happens if you
> leave?  Why are we re-inventing what 1,000 other CMSes have done before?
>
> --
> --Josh

Gevik,

I would like to add my support to Josh's statment. It appears that far
too much re-inventing is taking place on the "it's so easy to use and
does all we need" Drupal that would already exist in some of the other
CMS projects that were cursorily looked at when Drupal was chosen.
Bricolage, in particular, has a lot to offer and has a robust development
team.

Ken

Re: PGDN and CVS

From
"Dave Page"

Yes - as you've probably already seen by know Gavin the lead is well
known around these parts :-)

Actually from what I know of it, it may well be a particularly good
choice for this project. My understanding is that it is more of a
framework (hence the name I guess!) for building sites on than a
ready-to-run CMS, thus giving you many of the boring-to-build bits in a
ready to use form, but allowing you to get your hands dirty getting it
to work just as required.