Re: PGDN and CVS - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PGDN and CVS
Date
List pgsql-www

From: Gevik babakhani [mailto:gevik@xs4all.nl]
Sent: 21 September 2005 10:41
To: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Cc: Dave Page
Subject: PGDN and CVS

Hi Dave,

Hi Gevik,

Regarding the PGDN.

  1. Let’s say we produce a directory with all kinds of static html,images sample sql scripts etc… How do we want to update the whole PGDN within our CVS.

We need a script that will traverse the directory structure and perform the appropriate CVS add/remove operations based on what it finds, and then commits the whole tree. It sounds hard at first thought, but I don't think it is when thought about further - for example, we hierarchically traverse the tree, and for each directory or file we find, we check CVS/Entries to see if it exists in CVS. If not, we do a CVS ADD on it. When we've processed the files, we then go line by line through CVS/Entries, and CVS REMOVE any files or directories that don't exist any more. That should be a relatively trivial perl script for someone familiar with perl.

  1. Do we want to put the static PGDN files in CVS anyway? Should we keep the PGDN files separate not mixing with the current site’s CVS?

Yes, we do want them in CVS because we build the entire from there & the backend database. we don't want to start pulling in content from additional places as that just makes it much harder to rebuild the servers if there is ever a problem.

Regards, Dave.