Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
Hi,

I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
square wave).

So it's problem-hunting time, I guess.  The problem has something to do
with the following errors (there are a lot; I'm posting a short sample)
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/27: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/28: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/29: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/30: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/31: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_depend" TID 43/32: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_type" TID 17/44: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_type" TID 17/45: InsertTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/11:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/12:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/13:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/14:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/15:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/16:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_attribute" TID 133/17:
InsertTransactionInProgress 209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_class" TID 41/18: DeleteTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_class" TID 41/19: DeleteTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation
NOTICE:  relation "pg_class" TID 41/20: DeleteTransactionInProgress
209545 --- can't shrink relation

When I vacuum full, I can't get rid of these errors unless I restart
the database (and then I restart, vacuum full, and everything's fine).
And once I do a successful vacuum full, CPU usage returns to normal,
and the disk is no longer almost full (back to 10% full). I'm at a loss
to figure out where the problem is coming from and how to fix it.

My machine: XServe G5 Dual 2GHz running Mac OS X Server 10.3.9.
Postgresql 8.0.1

Thanks for any responses/ideas/solutions (best of all!),
Richard

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
> Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
> every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
> to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
> being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
> around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
> square wave).

Are you running frequent queries which use temporary tables?

--

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
No, I don't think so. I don't think there are any temp table queries
(and I'll check), but even if there are, site traffic is very low, and
queries would be very infrequent.

On Apr 20, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Rod Taylor wrote:

>> I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
>> Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
>> every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
>> to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
>> being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
>> around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
>> square wave).
>
> Are you running frequent queries which use temporary tables?
>

> --
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
As a follow-up, I've found a function that used the following code:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE results
(nOrder integer,
page_id integer,
name text)
WITHOUT OIDS
ON COMMIT DROP;

I would assume that the "WITHOUT OIDS" would be part of the source of
the problem, so I've commented it out.

Date:
Richard Plotkin <richard@richardplotkin.com> writes:
> I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
> Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
> every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
> to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
> being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
> around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
> square wave).

Q: what have you got the FSM parameters set to?

Q: what exactly is bloating?  Without knowing which tables or indexes
are growing, it's hard to speculate about the exact causes.  Use du and
oid2name, or look at pg_class.relpages after a plain VACUUM.

It's likely that the real answer is "you need to vacuum more often
than every six hours", but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
Hi Tom,

> Q: what have you got the FSM parameters set to?

Here's from postgresql.conf -- FSM at default settings.
# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 30400          # min 16, at least max_connections*2,
8KB each
work_mem = 32168                # min 64, size in KB
#maintenance_work_mem = 16384   # min 1024, size in KB
#max_stack_depth = 2048         # min 100, size in KB

# - Free Space Map -

#max_fsm_pages = 20000          # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
#max_fsm_relations = 1000       # min 100, ~50 bytes each

# - Kernel Resource Usage -

max_files_per_process = 750     #1000   # min 25
#preload_libraries = ''

> Q: what exactly is bloating?  Without knowing which tables or indexes
> are growing, it's hard to speculate about the exact causes.  Use du and
> oid2name, or look at pg_class.relpages after a plain VACUUM.

This I do not know.  I've disabled the cron jobs and will let the
system bloat, then I will gather statistics (I'll give it 12-24 hours).

> It's likely that the real answer is "you need to vacuum more often
> than every six hours", but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

That could be it, except that I would expect the problem to then look
more like a gradual increase in CPU usage and a gradual increase in use
of disk space.  Mine could be an invalid assumption, but the system
here looks like it goes from no problem to 100% problem within a
minute.

Thanks again!
Richard

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
More info on what is bloating:

It's only in one database (the one that's most used), and after running
oid2name on the bloated files, the result is (mysteriously) empty.
Here's the run on the three enormous files:

$ /usr/local/bin/oid2name -d smt -o 160779
 From database "smt":
   Filenode  Table Name
----------------------

$ /usr/local/bin/oid2name -d smt -o 65782869
 From database "smt":
   Filenode  Table Name
----------------------

$ /usr/local/bin/oid2name -d smt -o 83345634
 From database "smt":
   Filenode  Table Name
----------------------

The file list looks like this (with normal sized files mostly removed):
1.0G    ./106779
1.0G    ./106779.1
1.0G    ./106779.2
1.0G    ./106779.3
978M    ./106779.4
1.0G    ./65782869
248M    ./65782869.1
   0B    ./65782871
8.0K    ./65782873
780M    ./83345634
   0B    ./83345636
8.0K    ./83345638

So does the empty result mean it's a temporary table?  There is one
temporary table (in the function previously mentioned) that does get
created and dropped with some regularity.

Thanks again,
Richard

On Apr 20, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Richard Plotkin wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
>> Q: what have you got the FSM parameters set to?
>
> Here's from postgresql.conf -- FSM at default settings.
> # - Memory -
>
> shared_buffers = 30400          # min 16, at least max_connections*2,
> 8KB each
> work_mem = 32168                # min 64, size in KB
> #maintenance_work_mem = 16384   # min 1024, size in KB
> #max_stack_depth = 2048         # min 100, size in KB
>
> # - Free Space Map -
>
> #max_fsm_pages = 20000          # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes
> each
> #max_fsm_relations = 1000       # min 100, ~50 bytes each
>
> # - Kernel Resource Usage -
>
> max_files_per_process = 750     #1000   # min 25
> #preload_libraries = ''
>

>> Q: what exactly is bloating?  Without knowing which tables or indexes
>> are growing, it's hard to speculate about the exact causes.  Use du
>> and
>> oid2name, or look at pg_class.relpages after a plain VACUUM.
>
> This I do not know.  I've disabled the cron jobs and will let the
> system bloat, then I will gather statistics (I'll give it 12-24
> hours).
>
>> It's likely that the real answer is "you need to vacuum more often
>> than every six hours", but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.
>
> That could be it, except that I would expect the problem to then look
> more like a gradual increase in CPU usage and a gradual increase in
> use of disk space.  Mine could be an invalid assumption, but the
> system here looks like it goes from no problem to 100% problem within
> a minute.
>
> Thanks again!
> Richard
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:38:22AM -0700, Richard Plotkin wrote:
> More info on what is bloating:
>
> It's only in one database (the one that's most used), and after running
> oid2name on the bloated files, the result is (mysteriously) empty.
> Here's the run on the three enormous files:
>
> $ /usr/local/bin/oid2name -d smt -o 160779
> From database "smt":
>   Filenode  Table Name
> ----------------------

Try -f instead of -o ...

"World domination is proceeding according to plan"        (Andrew Morton)

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
That returned the same result.  I also tried oid2name -d smt -x -i -S
and, separately -s, and also separately, -d with all other databases,
and none of the databases turned up any listing, in either oid or
filenode, for any of these three bloated files.  One thing I've noticed
is that these oids are all extremely large numbers, whereas the rest of
the oids in /data/base/* are no higher than 40000 or 50000.

On Apr 21, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:38:22AM -0700, Richard Plotkin wrote:
>> More info on what is bloating:
>>
>> It's only in one database (the one that's most used), and after
>> running
>> oid2name on the bloated files, the result is (mysteriously) empty.
>> Here's the run on the three enormous files:
>>
>> $ /usr/local/bin/oid2name -d smt -o 160779
>> From database "smt":
>>   Filenode  Table Name
>> ----------------------
>
> Try -f instead of -o ...
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]dcc.uchile.cl>)
> "World domination is proceeding according to plan"        (Andrew
> Morton)
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
I've also now tried looking at pg_class.relpages.  I compared the
results before and after vacuum.  The results stayed the same, except
for five rows that increased after the vacuum.  Here is the select on
those rows after the vacuum:

              relname             | relnamespace | reltype | relowner |
relam | relfilenode | reltablespace | relpages | reltuples |
reltoastrelid | reltoastidxid | relhasindex | relisshared | relkind |
relnatts | relchecks | reltriggers | relukeys | relfkeys | relrefs |
relhasoids | relhaspkey | relhasrules | relhassubclass |    relacl
---------------------------------+--------------+---------+----------
+-------+-------------+---------------+----------+-----------
+---------------+---------------+-------------+-------------+---------
+----------+-----------+-------------+----------+----------+---------
+------------+------------+-------------+----------------
+---------------
  pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index |           11 |       0 |        1 |
  403 |       16686 |             0 |      292 |     10250 |
0 |             0 | f           | f           | i       |        2 |
      0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f          | f
        | f           | f              |
  pg_class_oid_index              |           11 |       0 |        1 |
  403 |       16690 |             0 |       18 |      2640 |
0 |             0 | f           | f           | i       |        1 |
      0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f          | f
        | f           | f              |
  pg_depend_depender_index        |           11 |       0 |        1 |
  403 |       16701 |             0 |       52 |      6442 |
0 |             0 | f           | f           | i       |        3 |
      0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f          | f
        | f           | f              |
  pg_type_oid_index               |           11 |       0 |        1 |
  403 |       16731 |             0 |        8 |      1061 |
0 |             0 | f           | f           | i       |        1 |
      0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f          | f
        | f           | f              |
  pg_depend                       |           11 |   16677 |        1 |
    0 |       16676 |             0 |       32 |      4200 |
0 |             0 | t           | f           | r       |        7 |
      0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f          | f

On Apr 20, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard Plotkin <richard@richardplotkin.com> writes:
>> I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
>> Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
>> every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
>> to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
>> being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
>> around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
>> square wave).
>
> Q: what have you got the FSM parameters set to?
>
> Q: what exactly is bloating?  Without knowing which tables or indexes
> are growing, it's hard to speculate about the exact causes.  Use du and
> oid2name, or look at pg_class.relpages after a plain VACUUM.
>
> It's likely that the real answer is "you need to vacuum more often
> than every six hours", but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
If anybody has additional advice on this problem, I would really,
really appreciate it...

I updated postgres to 8.0.2, am running vacuumdb -faz every 3 hours,
and 50 minutes after a vacuum the CPU usage still skyrocketed, and the
disk started filling.  This time, there is only a single file that is
spanning multiple GB, but running oid2name again returns no result on
the oid or filenode.

With the increased vacuuming, fixed temp tables, etc., I really am at a
loss for what's happening, and could really use some additional help.

Thank you,
Richard

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
I also forgot to mention, vacuumdb fails on the command line now with
the following error:
vacuumdb: could not connect to database smt: FATAL:  sorry, too many
clients already

Date:
Richard Plotkin <richard@richardplotkin.com> writes:
> I updated postgres to 8.0.2, am running vacuumdb -faz every 3 hours,
> and 50 minutes after a vacuum the CPU usage still skyrocketed, and the
> disk started filling.  This time, there is only a single file that is
> spanning multiple GB, but running oid2name again returns no result on
> the oid or filenode.

What is the filename exactly (full path)?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.1
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.2
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.3
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.4
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.5
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.6
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.7
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.8
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.9
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.10
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.11

Date:
Richard Plotkin <richard@richardplotkin.com> writes:
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.1
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.2
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/17234/42791.3

Well, that is certainly a table or index of some kind.

Go into database 17234 --- if you are not certain which one that is, see
    select datname from pg_database where oid = 17234
and do
    select relname from pg_class where relfilenode = 42791

The only way I could see for this to not find the table is if the table
creation has not been committed yet.  Do you have any apps that create
and fill a table in a single transaction?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your responses this morning.  I did the select relname, and
it returned 0 rows.  I do have one function that creates a temp table
and fills it within the same transaction.  I'm pasting it below.
Perhaps the "ON COMMIT DROP" is causing problems, and I need to drop
the table at the end of the function instead of using ON COMMIT DROP?

--
-- Name: crumbs(integer, text, boolean); Type: FUNCTION; Schema: public
--

CREATE FUNCTION crumbs(integer, text, boolean) RETURNS text
     AS $_$DECLARE

    starting_page ALIAS FOR $1;

    current_page integer;

    delimiter text DEFAULT ': ';

    withLinkTags BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE;

    page_id_temp INTEGER;

    page_name_temp TEXT;

    current_nOrder INTEGER := 1;

    page_results record;

    path TEXT DEFAULT '';

BEGIN

    IF starting_page IS NULL
    THEN
        RETURN NULL;
    END IF;

    current_page := starting_page;

    IF $2 IS NOT NULL
    THEN
        delimiter := $2;
    END IF;

    IF $3 IS NOT NULL
    THEN
        withLinkTags := $3;
    END IF;

    --Create a table consisting of three columns: nOrder, page_id, name

    CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE results
    (nOrder integer,
    page_id integer,
    name text)
    ON COMMIT DROP;

    --Select the current page into the results table

    SELECT INTO
        page_id_temp,
        page_name_temp

        p.page_id,
        CASE WHEN p.title_abbr IS NOT NULL
            THEN p.title_abbr
            ELSE p.title
        END as name

    FROM page p

    WHERE p.page_id = starting_page;

    IF FOUND
    THEN
        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO results (nOrder, page_id, name)
        VALUES ('    || current_nOrder || ','
                    || page_id_temp || ','
                    || quote_literal(page_name_temp)
        || ')';

        current_nOrder := current_nOrder + 1;
    END IF;

    --Loop through results for page parents

    LOOP

        SELECT INTO
            page_id_temp,
            page_name_temp

            parent.page_id as parent_id,
            CASE WHEN parent.title_abbr IS NOT NULL
                THEN parent.title_abbr
                ELSE parent.title
            END as name

        FROM page AS child

        INNER JOIN page AS parent
            ON child.subcat_id = parent.page_id

        WHERE child.page_id = current_page;

        IF FOUND
        THEN

            EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO results (nOrder, page_id, name)
            VALUES ('    || current_nOrder || ','
                        || page_id_temp || ','
                        || quote_literal(page_name_temp)
            || ')';

            current_page = page_id_temp;

            current_nOrder := current_nOrder + 1;

        ELSE

            EXIT;

        END IF;

    END LOOP;

    SELECT INTO
        page_id_temp,
        page_name_temp

        c.default_page as parent_id,
        c.name

    FROM page p

    INNER JOIN category c
        ON c.cat_id = p.cat_id

    WHERE page_id = starting_page;

    IF FOUND
    THEN

        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO results (nOrder, page_id, name)
        VALUES ('    || current_nOrder || ','
                    || page_id_temp || ','
                    || quote_literal(page_name_temp)
        || ')';

    END IF;

    FOR page_results IN EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM results ORDER BY nOrder
DESC' LOOP

        IF path = ''
        THEN
            IF withLinkTags IS TRUE
            THEN
                path := '<a href="index.php?pid=' || page_results.page_id || '">';
                path := path || page_results.name;
                path := path || '</a>';
            ELSE
                path := page_results.name;
            END IF;
        ELSE
            IF withLinkTags IS TRUE
            THEN
                path := path || delimiter;
                path := path || '<a href="index.php?pid=' || page_results.page_id
|| '">';
                path := path || page_results.name;
                path := path || '</a>';
            ELSE
                path := path || delimiter || page_results.name;
            END IF;
        END IF;

    END LOOP;

    RETURN path;

END;$_$
     LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Date:
Richard Plotkin <richard@richardplotkin.com> writes:
> Thanks for your responses this morning.  I did the select relname, and
> it returned 0 rows.  I do have one function that creates a temp table
> and fills it within the same transaction.  I'm pasting it below.
> Perhaps the "ON COMMIT DROP" is causing problems, and I need to drop
> the table at the end of the function instead of using ON COMMIT DROP?

Well, I think we can conclude that the function is pushing way more
data into the temp table than you expect.  I am wondering if that loop
in the middle of the function is turning into an infinite loop --- could
it be finding some sort of cycle in your page data?  You might want to
add some RAISE NOTICE commands to the loop so you can track what it's
doing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From
Richard Plotkin
Date:
Hi Tom,

Thanks!  That's exactly what it was.  There was a discrepancy in the
data that turned this into an endless loop.  Everything has been
running smoothly since I made a change.

Thanks so much,
Richard