Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and

From: Rod Taylor
Subject: Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and
Date: ,
Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
 Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and  (Rod Taylor, )
  Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and  (Richard Plotkin, )
  Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
 Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
   Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
    Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
     Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
  Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
   Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
    Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
    Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
      Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )
        Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Tom Lane, )
         Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?  (Richard Plotkin, )

> I'm having a pretty serious problem with postgresql's performance.
> Currently, I have a cron task that is set to restart and vacuumdb -faz
> every six hours.  If that doesn't happen, the disk goes from 10% full
> to 95% full within 2 days (and it's a 90GB disk...with the database
> being a 2MB download after dump), and the CPU goes from running at
> around a 2% load to a 99+% load right away (the stats look like a
> square wave).

Are you running frequent queries which use temporary tables?