Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joel Fradkin
Subject Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Date
Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (John A Meinel <john@arbash-meinel.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Sorry if you feel I am lashing out at a community.
Just to say it again, I am very appreciative of all the help everyone has
supplied.

I am running on more then just the 4 proc Dell (in fact my tests have been
mostly on desktops).

I have MSSQL running on a 2 proc dell which until my load has increased
(over aprx 2 years) it was just fine. I totally agree that there are better
solutions based on this lists comments, but I have all Dell hardware now and
resist trying different vendors just to suit Postgres. I was under the
impression there were still issues with 64bit postgres and Linux (or at
least were when I purchased). I believed I could make my next aquistion a
opteron based hardware.

Again I am not at all trying to critasize any one, so please except my
apology if I some how came across with that attitude. I am very disappointed
at this point. My views may not be that great (although I am not saying that
either), but they run ok on MSSQL and appear to run ok on MYSQL.

I wish I did understand what I am doing wrong because I do not wish to
revisit engineering our application for MYSQL.

I would of spent more $ with Command, but he does need my data base to help
me and I am not able to do that.

I agree testing the whole app is the only way to see and unfortunately it is
a time consuming bit. I do not have to spend 4k on MYSQL, that is if I want
to have their premium support. I can spend $250.00 a server for the
commercial license if I find the whole app does run well. I just loaded the
data last night and only had time to convert one view this morning. I am
sure it is something I do not understand and not a problem with postgres. I
also am willing to take time to get more knowledgeable, but my time is
running out and I feel honestly stupid.

I have been in the process of converting for over two months and have said
several times these lists are a godsend.

It was never my intention to make you feel like I was flaming anyone
involved. On the contrary, I feel many have taken time to look at my
questions and given excellent advice. I know I check the archives so
hopefully that time will help others after me.

I may yet find that MYSQL is not a good fit as well. I have my whole app
converted at this point and find pg works well for a lot of my usage.

There are some key reporting views that need to retrieve many rows with many
joins that just take too long to pull the data. I told my boss just now that
if I try to de-normalize many of these data sets (like 6 main groups of data
that the reporting may work, but as is many of my web pages are timing out
(these are pages that still work on MSSQL and the 2 proc machine).

Thanks again for all the help and know I truly appreciate what time every
one has spent on my issues.

I may find that revisiting the datasets is a way to make PG work, or as you
mentioned maybe I can get some one with more knowledge to step in locally. I
did ask Tom if he knew of anyone, maybe some one else on the list is aware
of a professional in the Tampa FL area.

Realistically I don't think a 30k$ Dell is a something that needs to be
junked. I am pretty sure if I got MSSQL running on it, it would outperform
my two proc box. I can agree it may not have been the optimal platform. My
decision is not based solely on the performance on the 4 proc box.

Joel Fradkin