Features for next release

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
Hmm. I see a problem coming up for myself :(

I'm working on JOIN syntax and (hopefully) OUTER JOIN capabilities for
the next release. That will take a lot of time afaik. We also have
lots of great new features (almost certainly) coming up, such as WAL
and RI. Lots of stuff, and taken together it should lead to a v7.0
release.

However! I've been waiting for v7.0 to do internal remapping of the
datetime types (and possibly other types; I'm not remembering right
now) so that the 4-byte TIMESTAMP becomes, internally, what is
currently DATETIME and so that the current DATETIME becomes a synonym
for TIMESTAMP. If we are releasing v7.0 rather than v6.6, then I
should work on that now to ensure it is completed. If we might release
as v6.6, I should continue to work on OUTER JOIN, since the type
changes shouldn't go in yet.

Any opinions/comments on the right path to take? With code changes and
docs changes I would think that the datetime stuff is two or a few
weeks work with my off-work time, which I suppose wouldn't impace a
release schedule too much...
                 - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

From
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Thomas Lockhart     wrote:

> Hmm. I see a problem coming up for myself :(
>
> I'm working on JOIN syntax and (hopefully) OUTER JOIN capabilities for
> the next release. That will take a lot of time afaik. We also have
> lots of great new features (almost certainly) coming up, such as WAL
> and RI. Lots of stuff, and taken together it should lead to a v7.0
> release.

    What  I  actually  see  when starting/stopping the postmaster
    lets me think that Vadim alread has the WAL target in  sight.

    And for RI I can say that we'll have at least FOREIGN KEY for
    MATCH FULL without PENDANT  in  the  next  release.  The  key
    features  are  in place and there's plenty of time left to do
    all the stuff around.

> However! I've been waiting for v7.0 to do internal remapping of the
> datetime types (and possibly other types; I'm not remembering right
> now) so that the 4-byte TIMESTAMP becomes, internally, what is
> currently DATETIME and so that the current DATETIME becomes a synonym
> for TIMESTAMP. If we are releasing v7.0 rather than v6.6, then I
> should work on that now to ensure it is completed. If we might release
> as v6.6, I should continue to work on OUTER JOIN, since the type
> changes shouldn't go in yet.
>
> Any opinions/comments on the right path to take? With code changes and
> docs changes I would think that the datetime stuff is two or a few
> weeks work with my off-work time, which I suppose wouldn't impace a
> release schedule too much...

    Break TIMESTAMP right now. IMHO it would  be  THE  reason  (a
    functional  incompatibility  to v6.5) we where looking for to
    be 100% sure the next release must be v7.0.

    I clearly vote for v7.0 - even if I personally hoped we would
    have   a   little  chance  to  produce  the  ultimate  devils
    PostgreSQL-v6.6.6 someday.

    Apropos devil: tomorrow Braunschweig Lions vs.  Hamburg  Blue
    Devils here in Hamburg - German bowl! Go Devils go!

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
> Hmm. I see a problem coming up for myself :(
>
> I'm working on JOIN syntax and (hopefully) OUTER JOIN capabilities for
> the next release. That will take a lot of time afaik. We also have
> lots of great new features (almost certainly) coming up, such as WAL
> and RI. Lots of stuff, and taken together it should lead to a v7.0
> release.
>
> However! I've been waiting for v7.0 to do internal remapping of the
> datetime types (and possibly other types; I'm not remembering right
> now) so that the 4-byte TIMESTAMP becomes, internally, what is
> currently DATETIME and so that the current DATETIME becomes a synonym
> for TIMESTAMP. If we are releasing v7.0 rather than v6.6, then I
> should work on that now to ensure it is completed. If we might release
> as v6.6, I should continue to work on OUTER JOIN, since the type
> changes shouldn't go in yet.
>
> Any opinions/comments on the right path to take? With code changes and
> docs changes I would think that the datetime stuff is two or a few
> weeks work with my off-work time, which I suppose wouldn't impace a
> release schedule too much...

My guess is 7.0.  With the minor releases still being made, Marc is in
no rush.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
> Thomas Lockhart     wrote:
>

> > Hmm. I see a problem coming up for myself :(
> >
> > I'm working on JOIN syntax and (hopefully) OUTER JOIN capabilities for
> > the next release. That will take a lot of time afaik. We also have
> > lots of great new features (almost certainly) coming up, such as WAL
> > and RI. Lots of stuff, and taken together it should lead to a v7.0
> > release.
>
>     What  I  actually  see  when starting/stopping the postmaster
>     lets me think that Vadim alread has the WAL target in  sight.

Yes, looks very impressive:DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Fri Oct  8 01:38:04 1999DEBUG:  Data Base System
wasshutdowned at Fri Oct  8 01:37:42 1999DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 968)DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 968); Undo
recordat (0, 0)DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 20995; NextOid: 0DEBUG:  Invalid NextTransactionId/NextOidDEBUG:  Data Base
Systemis in production state at Fri Oct  8 01:38:04 1999

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 06:25:50PM +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     I clearly vote for v7.0 - even if I personally hoped we would

Me too. Although it means I have to check whether there is more stuff I have
to add to ECPG before 7.0 comes out.

>     have   a   little  chance  to  produce  the  ultimate  devils
>     PostgreSQL-v6.6.6 someday.

It seems we are too superstitous to allow this number. :-)

>     Apropos devil: tomorrow Braunschweig Lions vs.  Hamburg  Blue
>     Devils here in Hamburg - German bowl! Go Devils go!

Jan, now you surprise me. You are a football fan? I never expected another
German on this list to love football (american style that is). Maybe we are
able to meet at a football games. But then I cannot come to the German Bowl.

Do you go to NFLE games too?

Michael

P.S.: Sorry for being off-topic for this list in the last part of my mail.
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
It seems people are thinking winter or early spring (northern hemisphere
that is ;-)) for the next major release, and by then I think there will
be enough cool stuff done that we can call it 7.0.  The only really big
to-do item that no one seems to be committed to doing in this cycle is
tuples bigger than a disk block, and maybe once the dust settles for
long queries someone will feel like tackling that...

I have another reason for calling it 7.0, which is that if we fix
the function-call interface the way I want to, we will break existing
user-written loadable modules that contain C-language functions.
Better to do that in a "7.0" than in a "6.6", no?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> It seems people are thinking winter or early spring (northern hemisphere
> that is ;-)) for the next major release, and by then I think there will
> be enough cool stuff done that we can call it 7.0.  The only really big
> to-do item that no one seems to be committed to doing in this cycle is
> tuples bigger than a disk block, and maybe once the dust settles for
> long queries someone will feel like tackling that...
>
> I have another reason for calling it 7.0, which is that if we fix
> the function-call interface the way I want to, we will break existing
> user-written loadable modules that contain C-language functions.
> Better to do that in a "7.0" than in a "6.6", no?

Based on all the comments flyng around, v7.0 it is. to be released...some
day :)

Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
> > I have another reason for calling it 7.0, which is that if we fix
> > the function-call interface the way I want to, we will break existing
> > user-written loadable modules that contain C-language functions.
> > Better to do that in a "7.0" than in a "6.6", no?
>
> Based on all the comments flyng around, v7.0 it is. to be released...some
> day :)
>
> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?

Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
>> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
>> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?

> Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
> patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

On the other hand, is there a reason to be in a rush to put out 6.5.3?
I didn't think we had many important changes from 6.5.2 yet.

I imagine that we will acquire a few more fixes for 6.5.* as time goes
on, and it looks like 7.0 will be months away.  Maybe a 6.5.* update
every month or two (if anything's been patched) would be the way to
proceed.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
> >> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
> >> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?
>
> > Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
> > patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
>
> On the other hand, is there a reason to be in a rush to put out 6.5.3?
> I didn't think we had many important changes from 6.5.2 yet.
>
> I imagine that we will acquire a few more fixes for 6.5.* as time goes
> on, and it looks like 7.0 will be months away.  Maybe a 6.5.* update
> every month or two (if anything's been patched) would be the way to
> proceed.

Missing pgaccess source code.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
> >> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?
>
> > Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
> > patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
>
> On the other hand, is there a reason to be in a rush to put out 6.5.3?
> I didn't think we had many important changes from 6.5.2 yet.

v6.5.3, I believe, was because PgAccess somehow got removed in v6.5.2 :(

Date:

> > > Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
> > > patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
> >
> > On the other hand, is there a reason to be in a rush to put out 6.5.3?
> > I didn't think we had many important changes from 6.5.2 yet.
>
> v6.5.3, I believe, was because PgAccess somehow got removed in v6.5.2 :(

OK, it was me, I didn't want to add it to 6.5.2 because it was not a
major bugfix, I got it 24 hours before release, it was a completely new
source tree layout, I asked the author to check my work, I didn't check
my work, and it was not committed properly.  I feel better now.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> On the other hand, is there a reason to be in a rush to put out 6.5.3?
>> I didn't think we had many important changes from 6.5.2 yet.

> v6.5.3, I believe, was because PgAccess somehow got removed in v6.5.2 :(

Ah, right, I'd forgotten that.  OK, we need a 6.5.3.

It sounds like Peter wants another day to check JDBC though...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote: >> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that >> should prevent me
fromdoing that tomorrow afternoon?   > >Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
>patches,but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Will this include a patch to let NUMERIC fields be indexed?

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust,
    who does not look to the proud, to those who turn      aside to false gods."            Psalms 40:4

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>   >> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
>   >> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?
>   >
>   >Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
>   >patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
>
> Will this include a patch to let NUMERIC fields be indexed?

Not sure.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release

From
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >   >> Bruce, you asked for a v6.5.3 to be released...anything outstanding that
> >   >> should prevent me from doing that tomorrow afternoon?
> >   >
> >   >Not that I know of.  I was waiting to see if we could come up with other
> >   >patches, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
> >
> > Will this include a patch to let NUMERIC fields be indexed?
>
> Not sure.

    Not  FOR  sure.  Adding  the  default  operator class etc. is
    adding catalog entries. Thus it requires "initdb" and  that's
    a NONO for bugfix releases according to our release policy.

    It's done in the v7.0 tree.

Jan