Features for next release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Features for next release
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Features for next release  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hmm. I see a problem coming up for myself :(

I'm working on JOIN syntax and (hopefully) OUTER JOIN capabilities for
the next release. That will take a lot of time afaik. We also have
lots of great new features (almost certainly) coming up, such as WAL
and RI. Lots of stuff, and taken together it should lead to a v7.0
release.

However! I've been waiting for v7.0 to do internal remapping of the
datetime types (and possibly other types; I'm not remembering right
now) so that the 4-byte TIMESTAMP becomes, internally, what is
currently DATETIME and so that the current DATETIME becomes a synonym
for TIMESTAMP. If we are releasing v7.0 rather than v6.6, then I
should work on that now to ensure it is completed. If we might release
as v6.6, I should continue to work on OUTER JOIN, since the type
changes shouldn't go in yet.

Any opinions/comments on the right path to take? With code changes and
docs changes I would think that the datetime stuff is two or a few
weeks work with my off-work time, which I suppose wouldn't impace a
release schedule too much...
                 - Thomas

South Pasadena, California