Text search with ispell

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
I'm trying to figure out how to use PostgreSQL's fulltext search with an
ispell dictionary. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where this
norwegian.dict comes from though.
When I install the norwegian ispell dictionary, i get 4 files, nb.aff,
nb.hash, nn.aff and nn.hash. What I'm unable to figure out, is the steps
needed to use this for PostgreSQL?

--
Tommy

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Andreas Wenk
Date:

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Andreas Wenk wrote:

> Tommy Gildseth schrieb:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to use PostgreSQL's fulltext search with an
>> ispell dictionary. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where this
>> norwegian.dict comes from though.
>> When I install the norwegian ispell dictionary, i get 4 files, nb.aff,
>> nb.hash, nn.aff and nn.hash. What I'm unable to figure out, is the steps
>> needed to use this for PostgreSQL?
>>

> Which version are you running? It's important to know, because tsearch2 is integrated
> since version 8.3. The behaviour for implementing in earlier versions is therefore
> different ...

It will be running on version 8.3

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Tommy Gildseth wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to use PostgreSQL's fulltext search with an
> ispell dictionary. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where this
> norwegian.dict comes from though.
> When I install the norwegian ispell dictionary, i get 4 files, nb.aff,
> nb.hash, nn.aff and nn.hash. What I'm unable to figure out, is the steps
> needed to use this for PostgreSQL?

you need to make a choice between two kinds of norwegian language - nn, nb,
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
Then follow standard procedure described in documentation.
Where did you get them ?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Tommy Gildseth wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to use PostgreSQL's fulltext search with
>> an ispell dictionary. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where
>> this norwegian.dict comes from though.
>> When I install the norwegian ispell dictionary, i get 4 files, nb.aff,
>> nb.hash, nn.aff and nn.hash. What I'm unable to figure out, is the
>> steps needed to use this for PostgreSQL?
>
> you need to make a choice between two kinds of norwegian language - nn, nb,
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
> Then follow standard procedure described in documentation.
> Where did you get them ?

Yes, I'm aware of that I need to choose one of those. I guess what I'm
having problems with, is figuring out where the <language>.dict file
comes from.
I didn't find any such file in the rpm downloaded from the links at
http://ficus-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html#ftp-sites and also not in
the inorwegian-package in the ubuntu apt repository.
I have read through
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/textsearch.html, but it's
not quite clear to me, from that, what I need to do, to use an ispell
dictionary with tsearch.

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Have you read http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/textsearch-dictionaries.html#TEXTSEARCH-ISPELL-DICTIONARY
We suggest to use dictionaries which come with openoffice, hunspell, probably
has better support of composite words.

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Have you read
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/textsearch-dictionaries.html#TEXTSEARCH-ISPELL-DICTIONARY
>
> We suggest to use dictionaries which come with openoffice, hunspell,
> probably
> has better support of composite words.

Thanks, that knocked me onto the right track. To easy to miss the
blindingly obvious at times. :-)
Works beautifully now.

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Tommy Gildseth
Date:
Tommy Gildseth wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Have you read
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/textsearch-dictionaries.html#TEXTSEARCH-ISPELL-DICTIONARY
>>
>> We suggest to use dictionaries which come with openoffice, hunspell,
>> probably
>> has better support of composite words.
>>

> Thanks, that knocked me onto the right track. To easy to miss the
> blindingly obvious at times. :-)
> Works beautifully now.

I may have been to quick to declare success.

The following works as expected, returning the individual words:
SELECT
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'overbuljongterningpakkmesterassistent'),
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'sjokoladefabrikk'),
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'epleskrott');
-[ RECORD 1

]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all

ASCII",overbuljongterningpakkmesterassistent,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{buljong,terning,pakk,mester,assistent}")
ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
ASCII",sjokoladefabrikk,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{sjokoladefabrikk,sjokolade,fabrikk}")
ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
ASCII",epleskrott,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{epleskrott,eple,skrott}")

But, the following does not:
SELECT
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'hemsedalsdans'),
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'lærdalsbrua'),
   ts_debug('norwegian', 'hengesmykke');
-[ RECORD 1
]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
ASCII",hemsedalsdans,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hemsedalsdan})
ts_debug | (word,"Word, all
letters",lærdalsbrua,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{lærdalsbru})
ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
ASCII",hengesmykke,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hengesmykk})

Would this be due to a limitation in the dictionary, or a
misconfiguration on my side?

Commands used are as follows:

CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY no_ispell (

TEMPLATE = ispell,
         DictFile = nb_NO,
         AffFile =  nb_NO,
         StopWords = norwegian
);

and

ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION norwegian ALTER MAPPING FOR  asciiword,
asciihword, hword_asciipart,word, hword, hword_part WITH no_ispell,
norwegian_stem;

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all

ASCII",overbuljongterningpakkmesterassistent,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{buljong,terning,pakk,mester,assistent}")
> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
> ASCII",sjokoladefabrikk,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{sjokoladefabrikk,sjokolade,fabrikk}")
> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
> ASCII",epleskrott,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{epleskrott,eple,skrott}")
>

> But, the following does not:
> SELECT
>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'hemsedalsdans'),
>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'l?rdalsbrua'),
>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'hengesmykke');
> -[ RECORD 1
> ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
> ASCII",hemsedalsdans,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hemsedalsdan})
> ts_debug | (word,"Word, all
> letters",l?rdalsbrua,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{l?rdalsbru})
> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
> ASCII",hengesmykke,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hengesmykk})
>

> Would this be due to a limitation in the dictionary, or a misconfiguration on
> my side?

sorry, I don't know norwegian, what do you mean ?  Did you complain that
no_ispell doesn't recognize these words ?

Date:

]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all

ASCII",overbuljongterningpakkmesterassistent,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{buljong,terning,pakk,mester,assistent}")

>> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
>> ASCII",sjokoladefabrikk,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{sjokoladefabrikk,sjokolade,fabrikk}")
>>
>> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
>> ASCII",epleskrott,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",no_ispell,"{epleskrott,eple,skrott}")
>>

>> But, the following does not:
>> SELECT
>>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'hemsedalsdans'),
>>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'l?rdalsbrua'),
>>  ts_debug('norwegian', 'hengesmykke');
>> -[ RECORD 1
>> ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
>> ASCII",hemsedalsdans,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hemsedalsdan})
>>
>> ts_debug | (word,"Word, all
>> letters",l?rdalsbrua,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{l?rdalsbru})
>>
>> ts_debug | (asciiword,"Word, all
>> ASCII",hengesmykke,"{no_ispell,norwegian_stem}",norwegian_stem,{hengesmykk})
>>

>> Would this be due to a limitation in the dictionary, or a
>> misconfiguration on my side?
>
> sorry, I don't know norwegian, what do you mean ?  Did you complain that
> no_ispell doesn't recognize these words ?

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have explained better.
The words hemsedalsdans, hengesmykke and lærdalsbrua, are
"concatenations" of the words Hemsedal and dans, henge and smykke and
Lærdal and bru. Hemsedal and Lærdal are in fact geographic names, so I'm
not sure it would handle that at all anyway. Both parts of the word,
hengesmykke, is in the dictionary though, ie. both henge and smykke. It
seems that some words it is able to properly spilt, and then some it
doesn't recognise.

The problem I'm trying to work around, is that as far as I can tell,
tsearch doesn't support truncation, ie. searching for "*smykke" or
"hemsedal*" etc.

--
Tommy Gildseth

Re: Text search with ispell

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Tommy Gildseth wrote:

>> sorry, I don't know norwegian, what do you mean ?  Did you complain that
>> no_ispell doesn't recognize these words ?
>
> Yes, I'm sorry, I should have explained better.
> The words hemsedalsdans, hengesmykke and l?rdalsbrua, are "concatenations" of
> the words Hemsedal and dans, henge and smykke and L?rdal and bru. Hemsedal
> and L?rdal are in fact geographic names, so I'm not sure it would handle that
> at all anyway. Both parts of the word, hengesmykke, is in the dictionary
> though, ie. both henge and smykke. It seems that some words it is able to
> properly spilt, and then some it doesn't recognise.

you may improve dictionary, affix file should have
COMPOUNDFLAG z
dict file should contain 'henge', 'smykke' with that flag 'z'.
Where did you get dictionary ?

> The problem I'm trying to work around, is that as far as I can tell, tsearch
> doesn't support truncation, ie. searching for "*smykke" or "hemsedal*" etc.

8.4 version will support prefix search "hemsedal*".
But you could always write your own dictionary or just use dict_xsyn
dictionary for such kinds exceptions.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/dict-xsyn.html