WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Hi Chaps,

I'm getting the aforementioned warning in my logs from a closed source piece of software.  The software helps us
convertover some old proprietary data files, and it's basically just done a COPY into a newly created table, after the
warningit then goes on to create some indexes.

I presume it's issuing some sort of commit or rollback without a begin, however the programs authors are telling me
that'snot the case and their software is not at fault.

Does anyone know if something else could be causing it?

I've posted a detailed log here:

http://privatepaste.com/cb0iywATbd

.. if someone would be so kind to have a quick look I'd appreciate it. I've posted everything, so it's about 1000
lines.The warnings are on lines 459 and 475.

I've tried to follow the StartTransaction / Endtransaction lines and I don't think I can see an error there. Is there a
possibilityits something in PortalRunUtility ?

Thanks
Glyn

Re: WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> Hi Chaps,
>
> I'm getting the aforementioned warning in my logs from a closed source piece of software.  The software helps us
convertover some old proprietary data files, and it's basically just done a COPY into a newly created table, after the
warningit then goes on to create some indexes.

> I presume it's issuing some sort of commit or rollback without a begin, however the programs authors are telling me
that'snot the case and their software is not at fault.

> Does anyone know if something else could be causing it?
>
> I've posted a detailed log here:
>
> http://privatepaste.com/cb0iywATbd
>
> .. if someone would be so kind to have a quick look I'd appreciate it. I've posted everything, so it's about 1000
lines.The warnings are on lines 459 and 475.

> I've tried to follow the StartTransaction / Endtransaction lines and I don't think I can see an error there. Is there
apossibility its something in PortalRunUtility ?

I don't recognize the format of that log output ... it looks a little too
low-level to be practical.

I recommend setting log_statement=all in postgresql.conf.  This will log
every statement that's executed to your PG log file, which should give you
an excellent view of what's actually happening.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Ah,

It just hit me that I probably logged all the wrong type of stuff there. I should have been logging statements
shouldn'tI?

http://privatepaste.com/6f1LYISojo

I think this shows up that they're sending an extra commit transaction on line 36.

Could someone dous a favour and chack I've not misread that?

Ta
Glyn

> I'm getting the aforementioned warning in my logs from
> a closed source piece of software.  The software helps us
> convert over some old proprietary data files, and it's
> basically just done a COPY into a newly created table, after
> the warning it then goes on to create some indexes.
>
> I presume it's issuing some sort of commit or rollback
> without a begin, however the programs authors are telling me
> that's not the case and their software is not at fault.
>
> Does anyone know if something else could be causing it?
>
> I've posted a detailed log here:
>
> http://privatepaste.com/cb0iywATbd
>
> .. if someone would be so kind to have a quick look I'd
> appreciate it. I've posted everything, so it's about
> 1000 lines. The warnings are on lines 459 and 475.
>
> I've tried to follow the StartTransaction /
> Endtransaction lines and I don't think I can see an
> error there. Is there a possibility its something in
> PortalRunUtility ?
>
> Thanks
> Glyn

Re: WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Chaps,
>
> I'm getting the aforementioned warning in my logs from a closed source piece of software.  The software helps us
convertover some old proprietary data files, and it's basically just done a COPY into a newly created table, after the
warningit then goes on to create some indexes.

> I presume it's issuing some sort of commit or rollback without a begin, however the programs authors are telling me
that'snot the case and their software is not at fault.

> Does anyone know if something else could be causing it?

If you're using connection pooling it's possible that the a connection
is getting reused and a commit is happening there.

It's not an uncommon practice to do a rollback when first getting a
shared connection to make sure it's fresh and clean...

Date:

> Ah,
>
> It just hit me that I probably logged all the wrong type of stuff there. I should have been logging statements
shouldn'tI?

> http://privatepaste.com/6f1LYISojo
>
> I think this shows up that they're sending an extra commit transaction on line 36.
>
> Could someone do us a favour and check I've not misread that?

Looks like it to me.

Notice that they frequently issue two "start transaction" in a row.  Seems
like a flaw in their programming logic somewhere.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
Glyn Astill

> If you're using connection pooling it's possible
> that the a connection
> is getting reused and a commit is happening there.
>
> It's not an uncommon practice to do a rollback when
> first getting a
> shared connection to make sure it's fresh and clean...

That's interesting to hear.

Although we do have a connection pool for our clients to connect through, we are not connected through it when we do
ourconversions. Also the same behaviour occours when connecting to my test setup which doesn't have any connections
goingthrough a connection pool.

Date:
> > Ah,
> >
> > It just hit me that I probably logged all the wrong
> type of stuff there. I should have been logging statements
> shouldn't I?
> >
> > http://privatepaste.com/6f1LYISojo
> >
> > I think this shows up that they're sending an
> extra commit transaction on line 36.
> >
> > Could someone do us a favour and check I've not
> misread that?
>
> Looks like it to me.
>
> Notice that they frequently issue two "start
> transaction" in a row.  Seems
> like a flaw in their programming logic somewhere.

Yeah I agree, I think they connect into template1 initially and get a list of the databases, then once you choose the
databasetheir software creates another connection to that database, then they issue transaction blocks for every
connection.

A bit mad.

Re: WARNING: 25P01: there is no transaction in progress

From
"Dennis Brakhane"
Date:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I presume it's issuing some sort of commit or rollback without a begin, however the programs authors are telling me
that'snot the case and their software is not at fault.

Of course their software can't be at fault, as it is entirely bug free ;-)

You could turn on statement logging in PostgreSQL and analyse that.
That is more useful than trying to guess what the proprietary software
is doing under the hood.