PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Check it out here:

http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/pg_vs_fb

When comparing in the grid the only major advantage FB has is probably
BLOB support.
PG only suppports 1 gb while FB supports 32gb.  Bytea is pretty slow as
well when compared to the FB BLOB support.

The other area is Character sets and collation.  They support it at a
field level as well as the database.

Other than that I would say PG kicks butt.

If there is any interest I could also add MySQL 5.0 to the mix as the
third column.

Later,

Tony

Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

From
Dave Page
Date:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Other than that I would say PG kicks butt.

You're just realising that? :-)

> If there is any interest I could also add MySQL 5.0 to the mix as the
> third column.

I'd be interested to see that.

Regards, Dave

Date:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Check it out here:
>
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/pg_vs_fb

Couple of corrections Tony:

- You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
backup -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.

- The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
tablespaces won't work.

I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
platforms we actually care about).

Regards, Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Aug 23, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Tony Caduto wrote:

> Check it out here:
>
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/pg_vs_fb
>

> When comparing in the grid the only major advantage FB has is
> probably BLOB support.
> PG only suppports 1 gb while FB supports 32gb.  Bytea is pretty
> slow as well when compared to the FB BLOB support.

Actually, Postgres's large object facility allows storage of binary
data up to 2GB in size.  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/
interactive/largeobjects.html

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Dave Page wrote:
> Couple of corrections Tony:
>
> - You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
> backup -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
> Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.
>
> - The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
> from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
> tablespaces won't work.
>
> I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
> feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
> multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
> used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
> platforms we actually care about).
>
> Regards, Dave.

Thanks  Dave.
Will update ASAP.

I agree with you on the multi-threaded.  I think I will add a note
saying the the multi-threaded architecture is only advantageous  on Windows.
I have seen instances where the threaded version of Firebird completely
craps out because one of the threads  has issues.

Will also make a note that it can run on FAT32 with some limitations.

Dave Page wrote:
> Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>> Other than that I would say PG kicks butt.
>>

> You're just realising that? :-)

Ah, I new that around 2004 :-)  I just have to convince Delphi users of
that :-)

Later,

Tony

Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

From
"Joshua D. Drake"