Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> Couple of corrections Tony:
>
> - You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
> backup -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
> Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.
>
> - The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
> from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
> tablespaces won't work.
>
> I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
> feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
> multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
> used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
> platforms we actually care about).
>
> Regards, Dave.

Thanks  Dave.
Will update ASAP.

I agree with you on the multi-threaded.  I think I will add a note
saying the the multi-threaded architecture is only advantageous  on Windows.
I have seen instances where the threaded version of Firebird completely
craps out because one of the threads  has issues.

Will also make a note that it can run on FAT32 with some limitations.

Later,

Tony