Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Check it out here:
>
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/pg_vs_fb

Couple of corrections Tony:

- You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
backup -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.

- The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
tablespaces won't work.

I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
platforms we actually care about).

Regards, Dave.