Working between Windows and Unix

From
"Erick Papadakis"
Hello:

I am working on Windows and Unix with Postgresql (newbie, so please be
kind). I use phppgadmin on both platforms. Windows is my local
machine. Linux (CentOS as usual) is the cpanel thing that my hosting
provider offers.

Basically this setup works well and I am learning the ropes. But the
problem is with exporting data and structure. Phppgadmin does not
allow exporting to SQL of the database on Windows platform. I see this
error:

--------------QUOTE--------------------
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
Dumping of complex table and schema names on Windows is not supported.
--------------END QUOTE--------------------

Failing this, what else can I do? How can I simply take all my data
and structure from here and put it up?

I also want this method to be fast because I have a table with about
2.5 million rows (I know it is nothing compared to other discussions
that people post here, but it is a lot for my machine).

Many thanks!

Re: Working between Windows and Unix

From
"Shoaib Mir"
Date:
Why dont you use the pg_dump (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup-dump.html) utility of PostgreSQL. Use the -s switch for taking just the schema and -a for taking the data dumps. Try that and let us know if you face a problem doing so.

--
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

[...]

Russell Smith
Date:
Erick Papadakis wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am working on Windows and Unix with Postgresql (newbie, so please be
> kind). I use phppgadmin on both platforms. Windows is my local
> machine. Linux (CentOS as usual) is the cpanel thing that my hosting
> provider offers.
>
> Basically this setup works well and I am learning the ropes. But the
> problem is with exporting data and structure. Phppgadmin does not
> allow exporting to SQL of the database on Windows platform. I see this
> error:
>

> --------------QUOTE--------------------
> <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> Dumping of complex table and schema names on Windows is not supported.
> --------------END QUOTE--------------------
This usually means the output of pg_dump -i is not working correctly.
Have you got the correct path for pg_dump on your server?
Is pg_dump available on your server (where phpPgAdmin is running)?

You will need to edit conf/config.inc.php and set the correct path for
pg_dump, once you've done that, you should get the correct output.

Date:
On 4/2/07, Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> wrote:
> Erick Papadakis wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am working on Windows and Unix with Postgresql (newbie, so please be
> > kind). I use phppgadmin on both platforms. Windows is my local
> > machine. Linux (CentOS as usual) is the cpanel thing that my hosting
> > provider offers.
> >
> > Basically this setup works well and I am learning the ropes. But the
> > problem is with exporting data and structure. Phppgadmin does not
> > allow exporting to SQL of the database on Windows platform. I see this
> > error:
> >

> > --------------QUOTE--------------------
> > <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> > <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> > Dumping of complex table and schema names on Windows is not supported.
> > --------------END QUOTE--------------------
> This usually means the output of pg_dump -i is not working correctly.
> Have you got the correct path for pg_dump on your server?
> Is pg_dump available on your server (where phpPgAdmin is running)?
>
> You will need to edit conf/config.inc.php and set the correct path for
> pg_dump, once you've done that, you should get the correct output.

How can I find the path for pg_dump? You mean on Windows or on Linux?
I am unable to make the "dump" or SQL backup from my Windows machine
to begin with!

If I were to use pg_dump without phppgadmin, how can I do it? When I
use pgadmin III to do "backup" of the database, it takes me to a
dialog box with some options, but I just cannot get the OK button to
go active in this dialog box. So I cannot do backup that way.

Next, I tried to use pgsql and tried this:

postgres=# pg_dump MYDB > d:\mydb.sql
history is not supported by this installation

What does this mean? History not supported?

The manual on pgsql website about pg_dump gives very little info about
where to execute the command.

Thanks!

Re: Working between Windows and Unix

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 02/04/2007 19:51, Erick Papadakis wrote:

> How can I find the path for pg_dump? You mean on Windows or on Linux?
> I am unable to make the "dump" or SQL backup from my Windows machine
> to begin with!

On my laptop (WinXP) it's in c:\program files\postgresql\8.2\bin. I've
added this to my system PATH so that I don't have to type it every time....

> postgres=# pg_dump MYDB > d:\mydb.sql

It's a command-line program: you don't run it from within psql, but
directly at the shell prompt. For example, on my machine:

   C:\Documents and Settings\rod>psql dbname > dumpfile.sql

You might have to specify the database user as which to connect, using
the -U option - see the docs for all options.

> The manual on pgsql website about pg_dump gives very little info about
> where to execute the command.

The examples in the docs all begin with the shell prompt '$'.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie