Re: Working between Windows and Unix - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erick Papadakis
Subject Re: Working between Windows and Unix
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/2/07, Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> wrote:
> Erick Papadakis wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am working on Windows and Unix with Postgresql (newbie, so please be
> > kind). I use phppgadmin on both platforms. Windows is my local
> > machine. Linux (CentOS as usual) is the cpanel thing that my hosting
> > provider offers.
> >
> > Basically this setup works well and I am learning the ropes. But the
> > problem is with exporting data and structure. Phppgadmin does not
> > allow exporting to SQL of the database on Windows platform. I see this
> > error:
> >

> > --------------QUOTE--------------------
> > <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> > <b>Notice</b>:  Undefined offset:  1 in
> > Dumping of complex table and schema names on Windows is not supported.
> > --------------END QUOTE--------------------
> This usually means the output of pg_dump -i is not working correctly.
> Have you got the correct path for pg_dump on your server?
> Is pg_dump available on your server (where phpPgAdmin is running)?
>
> You will need to edit conf/config.inc.php and set the correct path for
> pg_dump, once you've done that, you should get the correct output.

How can I find the path for pg_dump? You mean on Windows or on Linux?
I am unable to make the "dump" or SQL backup from my Windows machine
to begin with!

If I were to use pg_dump without phppgadmin, how can I do it? When I
use pgadmin III to do "backup" of the database, it takes me to a
dialog box with some options, but I just cannot get the OK button to
go active in this dialog box. So I cannot do backup that way.

Next, I tried to use pgsql and tried this:

postgres=# pg_dump MYDB > d:\mydb.sql
history is not supported by this installation

What does this mean? History not supported?

The manual on pgsql website about pg_dump gives very little info about
where to execute the command.

Thanks!