Re: Working between Windows and Unix - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Working between Windows and Unix
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/04/2007 19:51, Erick Papadakis wrote:

> How can I find the path for pg_dump? You mean on Windows or on Linux?
> I am unable to make the "dump" or SQL backup from my Windows machine
> to begin with!

On my laptop (WinXP) it's in c:\program files\postgresql\8.2\bin. I've
added this to my system PATH so that I don't have to type it every time....

> postgres=# pg_dump MYDB > d:\mydb.sql

It's a command-line program: you don't run it from within psql, but
directly at the shell prompt. For example, on my machine:

   C:\Documents and Settings\rod>psql dbname > dumpfile.sql

You might have to specify the database user as which to connect, using
the -U option - see the docs for all options.

> The manual on pgsql website about pg_dump gives very little info about
> where to execute the command.

The examples in the docs all begin with the shell prompt '$'.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie