no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.

Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir

[postgres - DB]$ du -k .
1716    ./base/1
1716    ./base/16555
5192    ./base/56048
8628    ./base
116 ./global
32812   ./pg_xlog
11380   ./pg_clog
53192   .

Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:

[postgres - DB/pg_xlog]$ ls -al
total 32816
drwx------    2 postgres admin        4096 Mar 29  2003 .
drwx------    6 postgres admin        4096 Jan  9 15:04 ..
-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002

What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?

Thx,

Zeb

--
DEBUG:  statistics collector process (pid 2523) exited with exit code 1
PGSTAT: Error closing temp stats file
PGSTAT: /usr/local/G101/App/DB/./global/pgstat.tmp.7823: No space left on
device
PGSTAT: AbDEBUG:  statistics collector process (pid 2979) exited with exit
code
1
FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
device
DEBUG:  server process (pid 3741) exited with exit code 2
DEBUG:  terminating any other active server processes
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
DEBUG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
semaph
ores
DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-01-09 05:22:52 EST
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/138CFD4
DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/138CFD4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 45811837; next oid: 65205
DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progre
ss
DEBUG:  redo starts at 0/138D014
FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
device
DEBUG:  startup process (pid 3785) exited with exit code 2
DEBUG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

Re: no space left on device

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:
>
>[postgres - DB/pg_xlog]$ ls -al
>total 32816
>drwx------    2 postgres admin        4096 Mar 29  2003 .
>drwx------    6 postgres admin        4096 Jan  9 15:04 ..
>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
>
>What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?

The are check_point files. You need them. Have you ran a vacuum recently?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thx,
>
>Zeb
>

>--
>DEBUG:  statistics collector process (pid 2523) exited with exit code 1
>PGSTAT: Error closing temp stats file
>PGSTAT: /usr/local/G101/App/DB/./global/pgstat.tmp.7823: No space left on
>device
>PGSTAT: AbDEBUG:  statistics collector process (pid 2979) exited with exit
>code
>1
>FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
>device
>DEBUG:  server process (pid 3741) exited with exit code 2
>DEBUG:  terminating any other active server processes
>NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
>        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
>        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
>        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
>NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
>        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
>        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
>        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
>NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
>        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
>        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
>        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
>DEBUG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
>semaph
>ores
>DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-01-09 05:22:52 EST
>DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/138CFD4
>DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/138CFD4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
>DEBUG:  next transaction id: 45811837; next oid: 65205
>DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
>progre
>ss
>DEBUG:  redo starts at 0/138D014
>FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
>device
>DEBUG:  startup process (pid 3785) exited with exit code 2
>DEBUG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

Re: no space left on device

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Friday 09 January 2004 20:31, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
> I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
> dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
> DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
> and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
> attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.
>
> Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir
>
> [postgres - DB]$ du -k .
> 1716    ./base/1
> 1716    ./base/16555
> 5192    ./base/56048
> 8628    ./base
> 116 ./global
> 32812   ./pg_xlog
> 11380   ./pg_clog
> 53192   .

OK, and what does "df -m" show? That will display disk sizes and free space
remaining. Your error is that you have run out of disk space.

> Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:

Well - it's 32MB (2 x 16MB as you show below).

> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
>
> What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?

They're transaction logs (see the section on WAL). You can probably reduce
them from their default size of 16MB, I'm guessing by changing some constant
in the source and re-compiling.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
I've not run a vacuum in quite some time, and that's because I've only
been doing reads from this DB.  I was under the impression that I should
run vacuum when tables are heavily modified:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node110.html

I guess I must have been mistaken?

I'm looking through the docs now, but am having trouble finding this: how
can I vacuum the entire DB at once?

Thx,

Zeb

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

:
:>
[...]
:>--
[...]
:>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
:>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
:>
:>               http://archives.postgresql.org
:>
:>
:
:
:

Re: no space left on device

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

>I've not run a vacuum in quite some time, and that's because I've only
>been doing reads from this DB.  I was under the impression that I should
>run vacuum when tables are heavily modified:

That would be accurate. Did you recently add a second database?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> [...]
>:>ores
>:>DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-01-09 05:22:52 EST
>:>DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/138CFD4
>:>DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/138CFD4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
>:>DEBUG:  next transaction id: 45811837; next oid: 65205
>:>DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
>:>progre
>:>ss
>:>DEBUG:  redo starts at 0/138D014
>:>FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
>:>device
>:>DEBUG:  startup process (pid 3785) exited with exit code 2
>:>DEBUG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>:>
>:>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>:>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
Here's the output of "df -m":

[postgres - DB]$ df -m .
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
-                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

Thx for the info.

Rgs,

Aurangzeb

Aurangzeb M. Agha     | Email : ama@mltp.com
                      | Home  : +1 413 586.4863
                      | Pager : +1 413 785.7568
                      |       : 4137857568@myairmail.com
73 Bridge St. #15     | Mobile: <coming soon>
Northampton, MA 01060 | e-Fax : +1 978 246.0770
USA                   | PGP id: <coming soon>

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
No, I've not added any new DB's.  In fact, what's puzzling is that this DB
has been running without issue (except for one server restart) for the
last nine months.  Now, all of a sudden, with no DB changes, additions,
etc... I'm getting this problem.

Do you suggest that I still run a vacuumdb?

Rgs,

:Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
:
[...]
:>:
:>:>
:>:>Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:
:>:>
:>:>[postgres - DB/pg_xlog]$ ls -al
:>:>total 32816
:>:>drwx------    2 postgres admin        4096 Mar 29  2003 .
:>:>drwx------    6 postgres admin        4096 Jan  9 15:04 ..
:>:>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
:>:>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
:>:>
:>:>What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?
:>:>
:>:>
:>:The are check_point files. You need them. Have you ran a vacuum recently?
:>:
:>:Sincerely,
:>:
:>:Joshua D. Drake
:>:
:>:
:>:
:>:>Thx,
:>:>
:>:>Zeb
:>:>
:>:>
:>:>--
[...]
:>:
:>:
:>:
:>
:>
:
:
:

--
Aurangzeb M. Agha     | Email : ama@mltp.com
                      | Home  : +1 413 586.4863
                      | Pager : +1 413 785.7568
                      |       : 4137857568@myairmail.com
73 Bridge St. #15     | Mobile: <coming soon>
Northampton, MA 01060 | e-Fax : +1 978 246.0770
USA                   | PGP id: <coming soon>

Re: no space left on device

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

 Wait... from the df you provided you have space left on the device:

postgres - DB]$ df -m .
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
-                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

Perhaps you are out of inodes?

Sincerely,

Josuha D. Drake

Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> [...]
>:>:>ores
>:>:>DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-01-09 05:22:52 EST
>:>:>DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/138CFD4
>:>:>DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/138CFD4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
>:>:>DEBUG:  next transaction id: 45811837; next oid: 65205
>:>:>DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
>:>:>progre
>:>:>ss
>:>:>DEBUG:  redo starts at 0/138D014
>:>:>FATAL 2:  write of clog file 43, offset 188416 failed: No space left on
>:>:>device
>:>:>DEBUG:  startup process (pid 3785) exited with exit code 2
>:>:>DEBUG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>:>:>
>:>:>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>:>:>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

Re: no space left on device

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
> dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
> DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
> and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
> attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.
>
> Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir
>
> [postgres - DB]$ du -k .
> 1716    ./base/1
> 1716    ./base/16555
> 5192    ./base/56048
> 8628    ./base
> 116 ./global
> 32812   ./pg_xlog
> 11380   ./pg_clog
> 53192   .
>
> Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:

That's normal.  32 meg isn't really that big.  How big of a partition do
you have this database on?  Your best bet is to put it on a bigger
partition.  the pg_xlog directory is gonna be at least 16 megs for most
installations.

Do you have any transactions sitting at idle keeping postgresql from
recycling the xlogs?

Normally when you run out of space it's a lack of vacuuming, but here it
just sounds like either the partition is too small or the postgres user is
living under a quota on that partition.

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
:That's normal.  32 meg isn't really that big.  How big of a partition do
:you have this database on?  Your best bet is to put it on a bigger
:partition.  the pg_xlog directory is gonna be at least 16 megs for most
:installations.
:
:Do you have any transactions sitting at idle keeping postgresql from
:recycling the xlogs?
:
:Normally when you run out of space it's a lack of vacuuming, but here it
:just sounds like either the partition is too small or the postgres user is
:living under a quota on that partition.

Scott -- I'm at 93% disk usage:

[postgres - DB]$ df -m .
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
-                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

I don't know about transactions sitting idle--like I mentioned this DB is
read-only, and there's no writes taking place.  Would I still need to
worry about transactions?  How can I check to see if there are any?

Re vacuuming, I haven't run vacuum for the same reason as above.  This is
only a read-only DB, and I didn't think a vacuum was necessary if there's
no writes happening to the DB.

My concern is why this problem is happening now (on a read-only DB).  The
DB has had nothing written to it, no new DB's have been created, and the
disk usage has stayed constant.  I'm stumped as to why this problem has
started all of a sudden.

Rgs,

Zeb

Re: no space left on device

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:11:51PM -0800, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
> I've not run a vacuum in quite some time, and that's because I've only
> been doing reads from this DB.  I was under the impression that I should
> run vacuum when tables are heavily modified:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node110.html

Another reason to vacuum is that the pg_clog files are deleted if they
are no longer needed.  So if you had vacuumed, there would be less files
there (I'm not sure if this was the case on 7.1 though).

Maybe in the meantime you could move one of the pg_xlog files to another
filesystem and make a symlink to the correct position.  That should given
you some breathing room.  Vacuum right after that.

Also keep in mind that deleted files that are kept open by running
processes do not release the occupied space ... see if you have some
process with an open file on that filesystem which is no longer present
(some clever usage of fuser and ps should give you that info)

"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch
when the sun is high (Sandman)

Re: no space left on device

From
Karsten Hilbert
Date:
> Wait... from the df you provided you have space left on the device:
>
> postgres - DB]$ df -m .
> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /
>
> Perhaps you are out of inodes?
Remember that df shows the *total* space left on the device,
especially when run as root. Some percent are reserved for
root, however, AFAIR pretty much exactly 7% in my experience,
eg. user postgres can't use them but rather sees a device
that's out of space. That may be the case here.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: no space left on device

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> :That's normal.  32 meg isn't really that big.  How big of a partition do
> :you have this database on?  Your best bet is to put it on a bigger
> :partition.  the pg_xlog directory is gonna be at least 16 megs for most
> :installations.
> :
> :Do you have any transactions sitting at idle keeping postgresql from
> :recycling the xlogs?
> :
> :Normally when you run out of space it's a lack of vacuuming, but here it
> :just sounds like either the partition is too small or the postgres user is
> :living under a quota on that partition.
>
> Scott -- I'm at 93% disk usage:
>
> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

Do you have root access to it?  if so, set the reserved space for root to
be 0%, and then try vacuuming.  Vacuuming requires some free space, and
since you're pretty much out, it isn't gonna be able to complete.

> I don't know about transactions sitting idle--like I mentioned this DB is
> read-only, and there's no writes taking place.  Would I still need to
> worry about transactions?  How can I check to see if there are any?

If you stop and restart it all transactions that are holding will be
disconnected, so that would clear that up.

But it looks to me like you just have it on too small of a partition.  On
a modern multi-gigabyte hard drive, Postgresql's usage of tens of megs for
transactions logs is no big deal, but on a smaller partition like yours it
can cause problems.

> Re vacuuming, I haven't run vacuum for the same reason as above.  This is
> only a read-only DB, and I didn't think a vacuum was necessary if there's
> no writes happening to the DB.

Well, if the database has been emptied and refilled it would use the
space, so it might be something like that.  Or that it was right on the
edge of being out of space and some single alter user kinda thing drove
it over the edge.  Hard to say.  It looks like your individual databases
are pretty small, so I doubt there's lots of lost space in them.

Can you get a larger partition to move the data directory to on that box?
I'd recommend having about twice the max size of your database as a
minimum, which would be 120 to 150 megs for you.

Re: no space left on device

Date:
> Perhaps you are out of inodes?

Either that or he's hitting a per-user quota limit, which is perhaps
more likely.

            regards, tom lane

Re: no space left on device

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> Here's the output of "df -m":
>
> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

But your du, below, of the postgres data directory shows 53MB in use. That's an
order of magnitude smaller than the 55GB the above appears to be saying is used
in the db.

Start again with du -sk /* and follow the biggest numbers.

Ideas:

 - have you logfiles that processes, such as postmaster, are writing to and
have got huge?

 - did you have the above and you deleted such files without restarting the
process that was writing to the deleted files?

 - /var/(mail|tmp|whatever) is huge due to huge amounts of email recieved and
not deleted

 - /home/whatever is huge due to logfiles, downloads (inc. application caches),
datafiles, software builds, ...

--
Nigel Andrews

> Thx for the info.
>

> Rgs,
>
> Aurangzeb
>

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> :On Friday 09 January 2004 20:31, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
> :> I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
> :> dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
> :> DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
> :> and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
> :> attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.
> :>
> :> Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir
> :>
> :> [postgres - DB]$ du -k .
> :> 1716    ./base/1
> :> 1716    ./base/16555
> :> 5192    ./base/56048
> :> 8628    ./base
> :> 116 ./global
> :> 32812   ./pg_xlog
> :> 11380   ./pg_clog
> :> 53192   .
> :
> :OK, and what does "df -m" show? That will display disk sizes and free space
> :remaining. Your error is that you have run out of disk space.
> :
> :> Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:
> :
> :Well - it's 32MB (2 x 16MB as you show below).
> :
> :> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
> :> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
> :>
> :> What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?
> :
> :They're transaction logs (see the section on WAL). You can probably reduce
> :them from their default size of 16MB, I'm guessing by changing some constant
> :in the source and re-compiling.
> :
> :

Re: no space left on device

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> Scott -- I'm at 93% disk usage:
>
> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

BTW, don't do -m with df it confuses us old folk, as you probably noticed from
the responses.

:)

--
Nigel

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
Right!  Thus my quandry.

Re inodes, how can I check this?  But why would this be?  Is Postgres
sucking up inodes just sitting there as a read-only DB?

    AMA

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

:Hello,
:
:
:>:
:>:That would be accurate. Did you recently add a second database?
:>:
:>:Sincerely,
:>:
:>:Joshua D. Drake
:>:
:>:
:>:>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node110.html
:>:>
:>:>I guess I must have been mistaken?
:>:>
:>:>I'm looking through the docs now, but am having trouble finding this: how
:>:>can I vacuum the entire DB at once?
:>:>
:>:>Thx,
:>:>
:>:>Zeb
:>:>
:>:>On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
:>:>
:>:>:
:>:>:>
:>:>:>Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:
:>:>:>
:>:>:>[postgres - DB/pg_xlog]$ ls -al
:>:>:>total 32816
:>:>:>drwx------    2 postgres admin        4096 Mar 29  2003 .
:>:>:>drwx------    6 postgres admin        4096 Jan  9 15:04 ..
:>:>:>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
:>:>:>-rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
:>:>:>
:>:>:>What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?
:>:>:>
:>:>:>
:>:>:The are check_point files. You need them. Have you ran a vacuum recently?
:>:>:
:>:>:Sincerely,
:>:>:
:>:>:Joshua D. Drake
:>:>:
:>:>:
:>:>:
:>:>:>Thx,
:>:>:>
:>:>:>Zeb
:>:>:>
:>:>:>
:>:>:>--
[...]
:>:>:
:>:>:
:>:>:
:>:>
:>:>
:>:
:>:
:>:
:>
:>
:>
:
:
:

--

Date:
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
>> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
>> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /

> Do you have root access to it?  if so, set the reserved space for root to
> be 0%, and then try vacuuming.  Vacuuming requires some free space, and
> since you're pretty much out, it isn't gonna be able to complete.

Look again --- it's showing free space in MB not KB.  He's got 4.8GB
free.  (Although that might be free-from-root's-point-of-view, rather
than what an unprivileged user can use ...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: no space left on device

From
Dennis Björklund
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> DEBUG:  statistics collector process (pid 2523) exited with exit code 1
> PGSTAT: Error closing temp stats file
> PGSTAT: /usr/local/G101/App/DB/./global/pgstat.tmp.7823: No space left on
> device

To me it does not sound strange that the database is growing when the stat
collector updates the tables with statistics. And since there are updates
it would have been good to have vacuumed avery once in a while.

I don't know the internals of pg as well as some of the other people who
have answered, but as far as I know the stat collector is not special in
any way but is updating the stat tables.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: no space left on device

Date:
"Aurangzeb M. Agha" <ama-list@mltp.com> writes:
> Re inodes, how can I check this?

"df -i" should help.

> But why would this be?  Is Postgres
> sucking up inodes just sitting there as a read-only DB?

I think you have missed the point here.  Postgres is using 0.1 percent
of your disk; whatever is eating disk space or inodes is somewhere in
the 92.9% of the disk that you have not told us about.  You are focusing
on killing the messenger instead of finding the true source of the
problem.

You should also check into the per-user-quota possibility.

            regards, tom lane

Re: no space left on device

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> >> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
> >> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> >> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /
>
> > Do you have root access to it?  if so, set the reserved space for root to
> > be 0%, and then try vacuuming.  Vacuuming requires some free space, and
> > since you're pretty much out, it isn't gonna be able to complete.
>
> Look again --- it's showing free space in MB not KB.  He's got 4.8GB
> free.  (Although that might be free-from-root's-point-of-view, rather
> than what an unprivileged user can use ...)

Good catch.  I'm so used to using raw df output...

Yeah, it looks like root's reserved space is getting him to me, but since
it's the root partition, it's possible it's out of inodes as well.

Aurangzeb, try running df -i to see how many inodes you have left...

Re: no space left on device

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> Right!  Thus my quandry.
>
> Re inodes, how can I check this?  But why would this be?  Is Postgres
> sucking up inodes just sitting there as a read-only DB?

If you are out of inodes, I seriously doubt it is Postgresql's fault, as
you seem to be running everything on the root partition here, it could be
any other process more likely than postgresql is using all the inodes.
Basically, when you make a lot of small files you can run out of inodes.
Since postgresql tends to make a few rather large files, it's usually not
a concern.

df -i shows inode usage.

On linux, you can change the % reserved for root to 1% with tune2fs:

tune2fs -m 1

Re: no space left on device

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
I would suspect some *other* service is using the 4G for transient
storage every now and again, and it just so happens that Pg is getting
tripped up.

What else does this machine run ?

regards

Mark

Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
>

>>Here's the output of "df -m":
>>
>>[postgres - DB]$ df -m .
>>Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>-                        63328     55308      4803  93% /
>>

>But your du, below, of the postgres data directory shows 53MB in use. That's an
>order of magnitude smaller than the 55GB the above appears to be saying is used
>in the db.

Re: no space left on device

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
>
> > Right!  Thus my quandry.
> >
> > Re inodes, how can I check this?  But why would this be?  Is Postgres
> > sucking up inodes just sitting there as a read-only DB?
>
> If you are out of inodes, I seriously doubt it is Postgresql's fault, as
> you seem to be running everything on the root partition here, it could be
> any other process more likely than postgresql is using all the inodes.
> Basically, when you make a lot of small files you can run out of inodes.

And a common culprit is whatever is being used for usenet caching/serving...or
ordinary mail which is just accumulating in /var/mail (or whereever).

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: no space left on device

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> And a common culprit is whatever is being used for usenet caching/serving...or
> ordinary mail which is just accumulating in /var/mail (or whereever).

Sheesh. Did I really put ordinary mailbox mail in the uses up inodes category?
I should taken out and whi....errrr...on the other hand better not might be too
exciting for some and spark off a whole new xxx web site.

Nigel Andrews

Re: no space left on device

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 00:38:43 +0000,
  "Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> > And a common culprit is whatever is being used for usenet caching/serving...or
> > ordinary mail which is just accumulating in /var/mail (or whereever).
>
> Sheesh. Did I really put ordinary mailbox mail in the uses up inodes category?
> I should taken out and whi....errrr...on the other hand better not might be too
> exciting for some and spark off a whole new xxx web site.

While mbox mailboxes only take one inode per mailbox, maildir mailboxes take
one inode per message. So if you are using maildir you could potentially
use a significant number of inodes for email.

Re: no space left on device

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
nandrews@investsystems.co.uk ("Nigel J. Andrews") writes:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
>> And a common culprit is whatever is being used for usenet caching/serving...or
>> ordinary mail which is just accumulating in /var/mail (or whereever).
>
> Sheesh. Did I really put ordinary mailbox mail in the uses up inodes category?
> I should taken out and whi....errrr...on the other hand better not might be too
> exciting for some and spark off a whole new xxx web site.

Mail accumulating in "mbox" spools shouldn't chew up inodes too badly,
but if you're using "Maildir" to spool mail, whether incoming or
outgoing, it sure can...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>

Re: no space left on device

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

:"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
:>> [postgres - DB]$ df -m .
:>> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
:>> -                        63328     55308      4803  93% /
:
:> Do you have root access to it?  if so, set the reserved space for root to
:> be 0%, and then try vacuuming.  Vacuuming requires some free space, and
:> since you're pretty much out, it isn't gonna be able to complete.
:
:Look again --- it's showing free space in MB not KB.  He's got 4.8GB
:free.  (Although that might be free-from-root's-point-of-view, rather
:than what an unprivileged user can use ...)

Tom -- You're right here.  This account is running on a virtual server, so
the 4.8GB free is not for this user.

Re i-nodes:

[admin - temp]$ df -i .
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
-                    8241152 1819166 6421986   23% /

However, I did just get word from the ISP that they had some sort of error
log rotation error which was keeping logs from being deleted off the
machine, taking up a lot of space (for this user account).  So the 93% is
aparently not a good representation of the disk usage, as its not for this
specific user account.

Rgs,

Zeb