Re: no space left on device - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: no space left on device
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> Right!  Thus my quandry.
>
> Re inodes, how can I check this?  But why would this be?  Is Postgres
> sucking up inodes just sitting there as a read-only DB?

If you are out of inodes, I seriously doubt it is Postgresql's fault, as
you seem to be running everything on the root partition here, it could be
any other process more likely than postgresql is using all the inodes.
Basically, when you make a lot of small files you can run out of inodes.
Since postgresql tends to make a few rather large files, it's usually not
a concern.

df -i shows inode usage.

On linux, you can change the % reserved for root to 1% with tune2fs:

tune2fs -m 1