Re: no space left on device - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: no space left on device
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 09 January 2004 20:31, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
> I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
> dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
> DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
> and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
> attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.
>
> Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir
>
> [postgres - DB]$ du -k .
> 1716    ./base/1
> 1716    ./base/16555
> 5192    ./base/56048
> 8628    ./base
> 116 ./global
> 32812   ./pg_xlog
> 11380   ./pg_clog
> 53192   .

OK, and what does "df -m" show? That will display disk sizes and free space
remaining. Your error is that you have run out of disk space.

> Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:

Well - it's 32MB (2 x 16MB as you show below).

> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Jan  9 15:09 0000000000000001
> -rwx------    1 postgres admin    16777216 Mar 29  2003 0000000000000002
>
> What are these files, and what can I do to resolve this issue?

They're transaction logs (see the section on WAL). You can probably reduce
them from their default size of 16MB, I'm guessing by changing some constant
in the source and re-compiling.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd