Re: no space left on device - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: no space left on device
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> I'm running Postgres 7.1.3, and just started having a problem where my
> dynamic site is going down (read-only DB, with no writes happening to the
> DB) regularly (every other day).  I have no idea whay this is happening,
> and my search of the FAQ's and mail list don't bring up anything.  i've
> attached the error from the log file, at the end of this message.
>
> Here's an output of the disk usage from within the DB dir
>
> [postgres - DB]$ du -k .
> 1716    ./base/1
> 1716    ./base/16555
> 5192    ./base/56048
> 8628    ./base
> 116 ./global
> 32812   ./pg_xlog
> 11380   ./pg_clog
> 53192   .
>
> Note that the pg_xlog dir is huge!  Here's its contents:

That's normal.  32 meg isn't really that big.  How big of a partition do
you have this database on?  Your best bet is to put it on a bigger
partition.  the pg_xlog directory is gonna be at least 16 megs for most
installations.

Do you have any transactions sitting at idle keeping postgresql from
recycling the xlogs?

Normally when you run out of space it's a lack of vacuuming, but here it
just sounds like either the partition is too small or the postgres user is
living under a quota on that partition.