Addison-Wesley looking for authors

Date:
As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.  It is selling
very well.  (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html)

Addison-Wesley is looking for more authors to write PostgreSQL books.
If you are interested, you can write to Stacie Parillo at:

    Stacie.Parillo@awl.com

My book took me six months to write.  I can answer any questions you may
have, and can help you with technical issues involved in writing a book.

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
Laurel Williams
Date:
FWIW, I just heard from O'Reilly that they have a PostgreSQL book in the
works and expect it to be out by fall 2001. I don't know who the author
is, but I am looking forward to having it on my bookshelf, next to
Bruce's. :) I am happy to see that Postgres is getting the positive
attention it deserves!

Cheers,

Laurel Williams
tech@clearwater-inst.com
Watertown, MA

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.  It is selling
> very well.  (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html)
>
> Addison-Wesley is looking for more authors to write PostgreSQL books.
> If you are interested, you can write to Stacie Parillo at:
>
>     Stacie.Parillo@awl.com
>
> My book took me six months to write.  I can answer any questions you may
> have, and can help you with technical issues involved in writing a book.

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
About what?  Your book covered all the basics.

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.  It is selling
> very well.  (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html)
>
> Addison-Wesley is looking for more authors to write PostgreSQL books.
> If you are interested, you can write to Stacie Parillo at:
>
>         Stacie.Parillo@awl.com
>
> My book took me six months to write.  I can answer any questions you may
> have, and can help you with technical issues involved in writing a book.

Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

Date:
> About what?  Your book covered all the basics.

Administration, application programming, and performance tuning would be
good book topics.

RE: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
"Andrew Snow"

Plus it might be a good idea if people teamed up and co-authored a book!  I
personally would be interested in writing something about functions and
PL/PGSQL and so on, as it seems to me there needs to be somewhere with more
examples as the online documentation doesn't really cut it.

- Andrew

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
will trillich
Date:
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:12:47PM +1100, Andrew Snow wrote:
> Plus it might be a good idea if people teamed up and co-authored a book!  I
> personally would be interested in writing something about functions and
> PL/PGSQL and so on, as it seems to me there needs to be somewhere with more
> examples as the online documentation doesn't really cut it.

hear hear! plpgsql is really powerful, but the examples in
/usr.../doc are tepid at best. i've got brick tattoos from
smashing my face into that wall, lemme tellya...

--
will@dontUthink.com
http://www.dontUthink.com/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My book took me six months to write.  I can answer any questions you may
> have, and can help you with technical issues involved in writing a book.

Only if I can use LaTeX. :-)

I might be interested collaborating on sections of applicaiton programming
(particularly Perl & web stuff), if anyone else is interested.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Goals... Plans... they're fantasies, they're part of a dream world...
        -- Wally Shawn

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
Alessio Bragadini
Date:
Andrew Snow wrote:

> personally would be interested in writing something about functions and
> PL/PGSQL and so on, as it seems to me there needs to be somewhere with more
> examples as the online documentation doesn't really cut it.

When I was using Oracle in my past job, it was a great breakthrough
digging through some of the PL/Sql books written by Steven Feuerstein.
It can happen the same if "a real book" is written about Plpgsql.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
        -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Addison-Wesley looking for authors

Date:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > My book took me six months to write.  I can answer any questions you may
> > have, and can help you with technical issues involved in writing a book.
>
> Only if I can use LaTeX. :-)

Sure, I shipped Addison-Wesley a PDF, and they printed that.

Re: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
Christopher Sawtell
Date:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:54, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> About what?  Your book covered all the basics.
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.

If you were to repeat the exercise would you use the LyX / LaTeX
combination again?

De you feel able to share the special modifications to LyX you made?

( I thought the line numbers in the proof pdf files real neat )

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me
<<--

AW: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
"Jens Hartwig"
Date:
Hello all, hello Bruce,

first of all I want to say, that Bruces Book was very well done in my
opinion!

To answer the question, I already began writing a book about PostgreSQL for
Addison Wesley in Germany. It will be released in autumn this year in german
language. Perhaps it could be translated by Addison Wesley Corp.?

My book does not try to compete with Bruces book (I wouldnt dare to do ;->),
it rather does complete the theme while it will contain many, many examples
from real life (besides many small examples, the whole book is accompanied
by one constantly growing example) and it will contain a rather complex
section about PL/pgSQL-programming and application development, also
accompanied by many examples.

At least I would like to thank Bruce for the offered help - I surely will
remember ;-)

Best regards, Jens Hartwig

T-Systems
Projektleiter
debis Systemhaus GEI GmbH
Hausanschrift: Eichhornstra?e 3, 10785 Berlin
Postanschrift: 10785 Berlin
Telefon: (004930) 25 54-32 82
Telefax: (004930) 25 54-31 87
Mobiltelefon: (0170) 167 26 48
E-Mail: jens.hartwig@t-systems.de
Internet: http://www.t-systems.de

Re: AW: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
Christopher Sawtell
Date:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 21:04, Jens Hartwig wrote:
> Hello all, hello Bruce,
>
> first of all I want to say, that Bruces Book was very well done in my
> opinion!

I think we all concur with that opinion.

> To answer the question, I already began writing a book about PostgreSQL
> for Addison Wesley in Germany. It will be released in autumn this year
> in german language.

> Perhaps it could be translated by Addison Wesley Corp.?

Please could you encourage them to do this, or perhaps do it yourself?
You seem to have a good knowledge of English.

> My book does not try to compete with Bruces book (I wouldnt dare to do
> ;->), it rather does complete the theme while it will contain many, many
> examples from real life (besides many small examples, the whole book is
> accompanied by one constantly growing example)

That is the way to do it.
For me anyway, disjointed snippets of code are horrible.

--

Date:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:54, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> > About what?  Your book covered all the basics.
> >
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > As many of you know, I wrote a PostgreSQL book last year.
>
> If you were to repeat the exercise would you use the LyX / LaTeX
> combination again?

Yes, absolutely.  I doubt I would have written the book if I had to use
native LaTeX or a normal word processor.  LyX had the right mix of
control and ease of use that I needed.  I had to crack open a book to do
some special things with LaTeX, but it was pretty easy.

> De you feel able to share the special modifications to LyX you made?
> [mentions margin line numbers]

That is a standard LaTeX macro package called vruler.  I had to download
it from CTAN, but that was easy.  Attached are all the macros I put in
the LaTeX preamble using LyX.  The only other modifications where
extending the page size by one line to force proper paragraph breaks in
a few cases.  I also did a few things to help latex2html render the
cover page properly.

It is the clear separation of content from appearance that made me like
LyX.  You tag the content, and LaTeX generates the appearance.

% I use LY1 encoding from http://www.yandy.com/usely1.htm
% It does a better job matching my fonts to TeX and PDF

\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{palladio}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{nimbsans}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{0414}

% no prompting
\batchmode

% prevent footnote paragraphs from splitting across pages
\interfootnotelinepenalty=300

% hyphenate tt font
\usepackage[htt]{hyphenat}

\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{html}

\raggedbottom
% vruler
%\usepackage{vruler}
%\setvruler[10pt][1][1][4][1][0pt][570][]
%
% for dvips
%begin{latexonly}
\special{papersize=7.375in,9.25in}
%end{latexonly}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{0285}
%begin{latexonly}
\let\realnormalsize=\normalsize
\renewcommand\normalsize{%
 \realnormalsize
 \@setfontsize\normalsize{10.5}{13.5}
}
%end{latexonly}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex
% caption skip
%begin{latexonly}
%\setlength\abovecaptionskip{5pt}
\let\mycaptionskip=\baselineskip
\multiply\mycaptionskip by 2
\setlength\belowcaptionskip{\mycaptionskip}
%end{latexonly}
%
% force blank pages before chapters
\let\realcleardoublepage=\cleardoublepage
\renewcommand{\cleardoublepage}{%
 \newpage{\pagestyle{empty}\realcleardoublepage}
}
% shrink gutter margin
%begin{latexonly}
\addtolength\evensidemargin{0.1in}
\addtolength\oddsidemargin{-0.1in}
%end{latexonly}
% fix large section numbers in table of contents
%begin{latexonly}
\renewcommand*\l@section{\@dottedtocline{1}{1.5em}{3em}}
\renewcommand*\l@figure{\@dottedtocline{1}{1.5em}{3em}}
%end{latexonly}
%
% pdfmark the text
\usepackage[
        colorlinks,
        pdfmark,
        pdfauthor={Bruce Momjian},
        pdftitle={PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts},
        pdfsubject={PostgreSQL},
        pdfkeywords={Copyright Addison-Wesley}
]{hyperref}

AW: AW: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
"Jens Hartwig"
Date:
Hello Christopher,

> [...]
> Please could you encourage them to do this, or perhaps do it yourself?
> You seem to have a good knowledge of English.
> [...]

I will see, if I can encourage Addison Wesley to translate the book.
Regarding the translation on my own - thank you very much for your
compliment ;-) Unfortunately my knowledge of the english language does not
go as far as it seems to do ... much of it costs me valuable time to look up
the right words. Therefore I do not really think about a translation by
myself ... you would surely repent it :-)

Best regards, Jens

T-Systems
Projektleiter
debis Systemhaus GEI GmbH
Hausanschrift: Eichhornstraße 3, 10785 Berlin
Postanschrift: 10785 Berlin
Telefon: (004930) 25 54-32 82
Telefax: (004930) 25 54-31 87
Mobiltelefon: (0170) 167 26 48
E-Mail: jens.hartwig@t-systems.de
Internet: http://www.t-systems.de

Re: AW: AW: Addison-Wesley looking for authors

From
John Burski
Date:
Hallo, Jens!

Sie schreib Engish sehr gut!  Ich scrieb Deutche nicht sehr gut!  Ich
habe ein jahr Deutche gelernt ( 5 jahr im die vergangeheit, an die Uni).

Ah, heck, I give up!  I've forgotten a great deal of what I learned.
Still, if you'd like some help translating, I'd be more than willing to
help (although I fear my ability in German is probably way below the
level necessary to do justice).

Jens Hartwig wrote:

> Hello Christopher,
>
>> [...]
>> Please could you encourage them to do this, or perhaps do it yourself?
>> You seem to have a good knowledge of English.
>> [...]
>

> I will see, if I can encourage Addison Wesley to translate the book.
> Regarding the translation on my own - thank you very much for your
> compliment ;-) Unfortunately my knowledge of the english language does not
> go as far as it seems to do ... much of it costs me valuable time to look up
> the right words. Therefore I do not really think about a translation by
> myself ... you would surely repent it :-)
>
> Best regards, Jens

> T-Systems
> Projektleiter
> debis Systemhaus GEI GmbH
> Hausanschrift: Eichhornstraße 3, 10785 Berlin
> Postanschrift: 10785 Berlin
> Telefon: (004930) 25 54-32 82
> Telefax: (004930) 25 54-31 87
> Mobiltelefon: (0170) 167 26 48
> E-Mail: jens.hartwig@t-systems.de
> Internet: http://www.t-systems.de

--
John Burski
Chief I.T. Cook and Bottlewasher
911 Emergency Products, St. Cloud, MN
(320) 656 0076       www.911ep.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ How's your cheese holding out? +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Date:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:29, John Burski wrote:
> Hallo, Jens!
>
> Sie schreib Engish sehr gut!  Ich scrieb Deutche nicht sehr gut!  Ich
> habe ein jahr Deutche gelernt ( 5 jahr im die vergangeheit, an die Uni).
>
> Ah, heck, I give up!  I've forgotten a great deal of what I learned.
> Still, if you'd like some help translating, I'd be more than willing to
> help (although I fear my ability in German is probably way below the
> level necessary to do justice).

Possibly not.

While I have forgotton at least 95% of the French and Latin I learnt at
school I do remember that it was _very_ much easier for me to translate
into English than the other war around. Also now-a-days we have the
Babel-fish to help ( sometimes ) with the vocab.

I really do hope that this text ends up being translated somehow or other.
From what he has written it seems to me that Jens' ideas are just what we
all need to fully understand the more esoteric corners of PostgreSQL.