PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
"Steve Slatcher"
Date:
Hi all

Would anyone share experiences and/or thoughts about the use of PostgreSQL
on Cygwin in a production environment ?  Leaving aside, for now at least, why I
would want to do it!

I am aware that it does not install as Windows sysadmins might expect, but
was wondering about issues like performace and reliability cf other platforms.

Steve Slatcher

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
"Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd"
Date:
I have no experience of production systems on Windows but I noted somewhere
in this column recently someone ran into a 62  concurrent session maximum
down to some bug or limit in Cygwin, which you might want to look into, if
you expect high simultaneous hit rate onto the postmaster...

At 11:28 05/04/2002 +0100, Steve Slatcher wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Would anyone share experiences and/or thoughts about the use of PostgreSQL
>on Cygwin in a production environment ?  Leaving aside, for now at least,
>why I
>would want to do it!
>
>I am aware that it does not install as Windows sysadmins might expect, but
>was wondering about issues like performace and reliability cf other platforms.
>
>Steve Slatcher

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
"Steve Slatcher"
Date:
Thanks for that Tim.  Could I please ask everyone else though if the silence
means "of course it's fine in a production environment" or "I wouldn't dream
of even considering it".  If you think it doesn't make for an interesting discusion
mail me directly.  Many thanks.

> I have no experience of production systems on Windows but I noted somewhere
> in this column recently someone ran into a 62  concurrent session maximum
> down to some bug or limit in Cygwin, which you might want to look into, if
> you expect high simultaneous hit rate onto the postmaster...
>
> At 11:28 05/04/2002 +0100, Steve Slatcher wrote:
> >Hi all
> >
> >Would anyone share experiences and/or thoughts about the use of PostgreSQL
> >on Cygwin in a production environment ?  Leaving aside, for now at least,
> >why I
> >would want to do it!
> >
> >I am aware that it does not install as Windows sysadmins might expect, but
> >was wondering about issues like performace and reliability cf other platforms.
> >
> >Steve Slatcher

> >TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> >subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>
> Tim Finch,
> FosterFinch Ltd
> http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Date:
I've been successfully using Postgresql on cygwin for about 9 months now
with about thrity users logged in.
- Stuart

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
Date:
Steve Slatcher wrote:
> Thanks for that Tim.  Could I please ask everyone else though if the silence
> means "of course it's fine in a production environment" or "I wouldn't dream
> of even considering it".  If you think it doesn't make for an interesting discusion

    2nd option.

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mardi 9 Avril 2002 09:56, vous avez écrit :
> Thanks for that Tim.  Could I please ask everyone else though if the
> silence means "of course it's fine in a production environment" or "I
> wouldn't dream of even considering it".  If you think it doesn't make for
> an interesting discusion mail me directly.  Many thanks.

Cygwin is a POSIX emulation layer which works perfectly. The only concern
might be speed: because of memory allocation issues, large database
***might*** run twice as fast under Linux as under Cywin.

Anyway, Cygwin + PostgreSQL still remains faster than any open-source
databases available under Windows.

With hardware being cheaper everyday, this kind of question becomes
old-fashion. Users discover PostgreSQL under Cygwin, and one day or another,
invest in a new platform running under Linux. A powerfull Athlon server does
not cost more than 1.000 euros. So why bother with Windows?

Maybe you should have a look at pgAdmin2, PostgreSQL Windows GUI. Personnaly,
I recommand using PostgreSQL servers under Linux and pgAdmin2 under Windows.

pgAdmin2 is based on pgSchema ocx, a database abstraction layer, which can be
used in any Windows project.

Other source of information to dig into the PostgreSQL world:
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php
http://techdocs.postgresql.org

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
Tim Finch
Date:
Cygwin is a POSIX emulation layer which works perfectly. The only concern

Quite a bold claim to say it works perfectly. I agree its pretty stable as I have had few problems with cygwin...

Anyway, Cygwin + PostgreSQL still remains faster than any open-source
databases available under Windows.

Another interesting claim - speed of databases is such a subjective issue. Interestingly this article compared a bunch of databases on a Windows platform, but clearly no-one told the reviewers about PostgreSQL on Windows as another alternative.

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk

Tim Finch wrote:

> Another interesting claim - speed of databases is such a subjective
> issue. Interestingly this article compared a bunch of databases on a
    Not subjective at all, you just need to define configuration, load
and which parameter to measure.

    Anyway, I wonder why one would run pgsql on MS W32 when GNU/Linux or
BSD are simpler and run faster and more reliably with less hardware.

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93

Re: PostgreSQL and Cygwin as production database

From
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
> From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
>

> Tim Finch wrote:
> >
> > Another interesting claim - speed of databases is such a subjective
> > issue. Interestingly this article compared a bunch of databases on a
>     Not subjective at all, you just need to define
> configuration, load
> and which parameter to measure.
>
>     Anyway, I wonder why one would run pgsql on MS W32 when
> GNU/Linux or
> BSD are simpler and run faster and more reliably with less hardware.

Because the IT department has decided NT is the way to go?
- Stuart

Date:
Henshall, Stuart - WCP wrote:

> Because the IT department has decided NT is the way to go?

    Better change jobs!

--
  _

Date:
> Anyway, I wonder why one would run pgsql on MS W32 when GNU/Linux or
> BSD are simpler and run faster and more reliably with less hardware.

I am not sure how relevant it is to this forum, but because it has come up a
couple of times....  It is because there *may* be a requirement to run Windows
apps on the same machine.  And because the staff supporting it are more
familiar with Windows (though the requirement for Cygwin is clearly a
negative here).  Why use PostgreSQL?  It is free, a proper multi-user DB,
and (unlike MySQL) implements SQL sufficiently well.

I am not saying all these are totally compelling arguments - but FWIW that is
the background for my question.  My current feeling is that there probably
*are* better solutions than Cygwin/PostrgreSQL.

Steve

Date:
Steve Slatcher wrote:

> I am not sure how relevant it is to this forum, but because it has come up a

    Indeed, I just forgot this is for people who have already decided to
run PostgreSQL on CygWin.

> couple of times....  It is because there *may* be a requirement to run Windows
> apps on the same machine.  And because the staff supporting it are more

    A machine capable of running GNU/Linux or *BSD is cheap enough, and
MS Windows is bad enough at multiprogramming for one to avoid it
altogether for DBMSs.  I see no possible compelling reasons for
denying PostgreSQL a POSIX OS.

> the background for my question.  My current feeling is that there probably
> *are* better solutions than Cygwin/PostrgreSQL.

    If you're really married to MS Windows, I think Interbase and
Firebird have w32 native versions.  You may want to check if SAPdb
also do.

--
  _

Date:
At 13:33 16/04/2002 +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

>         Anyway, I wonder why one would run pgsql on MS W32 when GNU/Linux
> or BSD are simpler and run faster and more reliably with less hardware.

because a developer wants to sit on the beach working on his laptop, and
the front end stuff is all Windows, even if production state uses POSIX
back end....

... well we can dream can't we.. (about the beach that is, not Windows
front ends)?