Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon, WWW,

> Ray O'Donnell has volunteered to be Press Contact for the Republic of
> Ireland.
>
> Please could we arrange these things?

Moved to -advocacy, which is where this discussion belongs.  The WWW team
should NOT be making changes to the list of Regional Contacts without
discussion on -advocacy, thanks!

I've had another volunteer for Ireland: Alex Markelov.  Rather than duking it
out, I'd like both of you to read the description of what a Regional Contact
does and decide yourselves who should cover Ireland this year:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/2800/regional.contact.brief.txt

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Dave Page
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon, WWW,
>
>> Ray O'Donnell has volunteered to be Press Contact for the Republic of
>> Ireland.
>>
>> Please could we arrange these things?
>
> Moved to -advocacy, which is where this discussion belongs.  The WWW team
> should NOT be making changes to the list of Regional Contacts without
> discussion on -advocacy, thanks!

The www team have done no such thing.

/D

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 12:56 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon, WWW,
>
> > Ray O'Donnell has volunteered to be Press Contact for the Republic of
> > Ireland.
> >
> > Please could we arrange these things?
>
> Moved to -advocacy, which is where this discussion belongs.

Why was Alex not previously mentioned on a public list?

>  The WWW team
> should NOT be making changes to the list of Regional Contacts without
> discussion on -advocacy, thanks!
>
> I've had another volunteer for Ireland: Alex Markelov.

Why was the current press contact for Ireland not notified of a
volunteer?

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> Why was the current press contact for Ireland not notified of a
> volunteer?

Because he just volunteered, and hasn't yet confirmed that he wants to be a
Regional contact now that he knows what it entails.  When I have the round up
I'll propose *all* the new names to -advocacy.

You might have noticed that we put in an appeal for regional contacts into the
PostgreSQL Weekly News?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:26 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon,
>
> > Why was the current press contact for Ireland not notified of a
> > volunteer?
>
> Because he just volunteered, and hasn't yet confirmed that he wants to be a
> Regional contact now that he knows what it entails.  When I have the round up
> I'll propose *all* the new names to -advocacy.
>
> You might have noticed that we put in an appeal for regional contacts into the
> PostgreSQL Weekly News?

I did notice that, but didn't pick up the detail that you had asked
people to contact you directly rather than posting to -advocacy. It
appeared to me that few candidates had come forward.

I'm not clear why you're saying we should have discussed this on
-advocacy when you aren't doing that yourself. I guess I'm also not
clear how you had a volunteer for a post that wasn't actually open until
I offered it up on pgsql-eu-general. If Alex knew about that, why didn't
he speak at that point rather than going to you privately? If not, why
didn't you contact me to ask if I minded giving up ROI? So yes, I agree
we should all discuss things on public lists before they are decided.

Anyway, I've done everything openly and transparently and just trying to
help get more advocates on board, nothing else. If you feel I've done
something inappropriate then I'm sorry.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Alex N Markelov
Date:

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:26 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>>> Why was the current press contact for Ireland not notified of a
>>> volunteer?
>> Because he just volunteered, and hasn't yet confirmed that he wants to be a
>> Regional contact now that he knows what it entails.  When I have the round up
>> I'll propose *all* the new names to -advocacy.
>>
>> You might have noticed that we put in an appeal for regional contacts into the
>> PostgreSQL Weekly News?
>
> I did notice that, but didn't pick up the detail that you had asked
> people to contact you directly rather than posting to -advocacy. It
> appeared to me that few candidates had come forward.
>
> I'm not clear why you're saying we should have discussed this on
> -advocacy when you aren't doing that yourself. I guess I'm also not
> clear how you had a volunteer for a post that wasn't actually open until
> I offered it up on pgsql-eu-general. If Alex knew about that, why didn't
> he speak at that point rather than going to you privately? If not, why
> didn't you contact me to ask if I minded giving up ROI? So yes, I agree
> we should all discuss things on public lists before they are decided.
>
> Anyway, I've done everything openly and transparently and just trying to
> help get more advocates on board, nothing else. If you feel I've done
> something inappropriate then I'm sorry.

Guys,

there is nothing to fight over. I answered directly to Josh, because he
asked in his post to contact him. I didn't think I needed to post it to
the list. As per pgsql-eu-general, I'm not reading it, that's why I
missed it there.

Hope that helps.

I'm not in the position to spend any considerable amount of time at the
moment as the contact (after reading the link Josh sent it looks like a
lot of work), but I'm more than happy to help to whoever is (or will be
elected) the contact for Ireland.

Regards,
Alex.

- --
"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...
Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions."
                                                    --- William Wilberforce

PGP fingerprint: F888 2770 FEDA D53F 6E71 5281 8C48 7AE2 C29D C8AB
PGP public key:
http://www.markelov.org/misc/Alex.Markelov_at_gmail.com_0xC29DC8AB_pub.asc

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon, Raymond, Alex,

Rest of discussion with Simon taken offline.

It sounds like Raymond has more time to be a Regional Contact than Alex,
and Simon knows him ... is that good with everybody?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 29/11/2007 19:18, Josh Berkus wrote:

> It sounds like Raymond has more time to be a Regional Contact than Alex,
> and Simon knows him ... is that good with everybody?

I don't *really* have the time (I work full-time as a musician, plus
part-time as a developer, plus a bit of teaching, plus plus...); but if
there's a way of splitting the work - assuming that's OK with Alex -
then I'll do what I can.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Date:
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 11:18 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon, Raymond, Alex,
>
> Rest of discussion with Simon taken offline.
>
> It sounds like Raymond has more time to be a Regional Contact than Alex,
> and Simon knows him ... is that good with everybody?

I don't know Ray, and I would hesitate to be involved at all if I did.

Ray was the only person to reply to an open, public request. OK, it was
the European list, but that seemed like the right place to ask.

I don't consider it appropriate for me to choose between Ray or Alex, if
such a choice is needed. I was just trying to organise a replacement to
allow me to focus more on the rest of the UK.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alex, Ray,

> I don't *really* have the time (I work full-time as a musician, plus
> part-time as a developer, plus a bit of teaching, plus plus...); but if
> there's a way of splitting the work - assuming that's OK with Alex -
> then I'll do what I can.

Well, whose name should be on the list, and who should be getting the phone
calls?  That is, who can take calls during the day?

All the rest of the work is easily splittable ... I think Germany has 4
people doing it, and Japan has a committee of like 11 people.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
On 29/11/2007 20:14, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Well, whose name should be on the list, and who should be getting the phone
> calls?  That is, who can take calls during the day?

I can generally take calls during the day, and obviously emails aren't a
problem. So feel free to put my name up - again, if that's OK with Alex.

> All the rest of the work is easily splittable ... I think Germany has 4
> people doing it, and Japan has a committee of like 11 people.

That's good to know! As I think I said in an earlier post, I feel
under-qualified to answer technical questions....but I can certainly
distribute pre-packaged info, and I suppose I can always seek answers on
the lists to questions I can't answer myself.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: [pgsql-www] Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Alex N Markelov
Date:

Re: Republic of Ireland Press Contact

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> Anyway, I've done everything openly and transparently and just trying to
> help get more advocates on board, nothing else. If you feel I've done
> something inappropriate then I'm sorry.

No, *I'm* sorry for overreacting to what was simply a case of coincidental
timing, plus that you probably didn't realise that I'm not on pgsql-eu.
Thank you for recruiting extra regional contacts; we need everyone we can
find.

If you or the other EU people recruit additional RCs, please ping me directly?
The RC list actually comes out of a database which generates mailings and
other things, so I need to update it personally, rather than through the WWW
group.  Thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun