Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Decibel!
Date:
Forwarded from a computer book publishing list I'm on.

It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?

Begin forwarded message:

--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Monday 30 July 2007 22:18, Decibel! wrote:
> Forwarded from a computer book publishing list I'm on.
>
> It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
> PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?

The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money to take on the risk of publishing a magazine?

Robert

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi Stefan,

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 08:15, Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher wrote:
> > > It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
> > > PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?
> >
> > The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money to take
on the risk of publishing a magazine?

> If there is no publisher that would publish a printed version, online
> distribution eg. as a high quality formatted PDF might work to.

It's still going to take money.

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher
Date:
Also sprach Robert Bernier (robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca)
> On Monday 30 July 2007 22:18, Decibel! wrote:
> > Forwarded from a computer book publishing list I'm on.
> >
> > It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
> > PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?
>
> The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money to take on the risk of publishing a magazine?

If there is no publisher that would publish a printed version, online
distribution eg. as a high quality formatted PDF might work to.

However, this will take a lot work and require a lot of input from
writers.

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de

Attachment

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher
Date:
Also sprach Robert Bernier (robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca)
> Hi Stefan,

> > > The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money to take
> on the risk of publishing a magazine?
> >
> > If there is no publisher that would publish a printed version, online
> > distribution eg. as a high quality formatted PDF might work to.
>
> It's still going to take money.

Did I say anything else?

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de
http://www.cryptomancer.de
--
Worum haben die Menschen von Kindesbeinen an gebetet, wovon haben sie geträumt,
womit haben sie sich gequält? Daß irgendeiner ihnen ein für allemal sage, was das
Glück ist, und sie mit einer Kette an dieses Glück schmiede. Und ist dies nicht
gerade das, was wir tun? Der uralte Traum vom Paradies ...
Jewgenij Iwanowitsch Samjatin, »Wir«

Attachment

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> On Monday 30 July 2007 22:18, Decibel! wrote:
> > Forwarded from a computer book publishing list I'm on.
> >
> > It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
> > PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?
>
> The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money to take on the risk of publishing a magazine?

I've been working part-time with a small-press publisher for about
six months now.  I don't have access to any money, but I have access
to expertise in the business of publishing.

If someone's willing to foot the bill to launch this, I'm willing to
get involved part-time to make it happen.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
"Bob Zurek"
Hi:
I'm the new CTO of EntepriseDB and have just joined this list. Look
forward to actively participating in the efforts/community/evangelism,
etc on PostgreSQL. I'm very pleased and excited to be part of this
effort and look forward to meeting many of you thru the course of
further elevating PostgreSQL visibility in the market.

With respect to this topic, I hope to reach out to Fuat Kircaali who is
the founder and CEO of SYS-CON Media and whom I've known for many years
to discuss the potential of creating a new PostgreSQL Journal that could
be published by them. Again, this would be exploratory at first to gauge
their interest and to determine the process for creating a journal by
them. I'll report back on my findings, but I think this is a great idea.

SysCon are the producers of many technology journals including AjaxWorld
Magazine, Java Developer Journal, Enterprise Open Source Magazine, etc.
Their website is here: http://www5.sys-con.com/ They also do
events/conferences like AjaxWorld.

I will also touch base with their executive editor also.

Bob

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 08:15, Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher wrote:
> > > It'd be awesome if the community could do something similar for
> > > PostgreSQL... do we have enough authors to pull it off?
> >
> > The better question is, is there somebody out there with the money
to take
on the risk of publishing a magazine?

> If there is no publisher that would publish a printed version, online
> distribution eg. as a high quality formatted PDF might work to.

It's still going to take money.

       match

Re: Fwd: [cbp] New MySQL Journal

From
Andreas Pflug
Bob Zurek wrote:
> Hi:
> I'm the new CTO of EntepriseDB and have just joined this list.
Hopefully your employer won't disjoin you due to crime against the
company name :-)

> With respect to this topic, I hope to reach out to Fuat Kircaali who is
> the founder and CEO of SYS-CON Media and whom I've known for many years
> to discuss the potential of creating a new PostgreSQL Journal that could
> be published by them.
This sounds like a very good idea, because a PostgreSQL Journal would
probably need more journalistic input than the community could provide.

Regards,
Andreas

postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi Bob,

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:36, Bob Zurek wrote:
> Hi:
> I'm the new CTO of EntepriseDB and have just joined this list.

Welcome to the community!

> With respect to this topic, I hope to reach out to Fuat Kircaali who is
> the founder and CEO of SYS-CON Media and whom I've known for many years
> to discuss the potential of creating a new PostgreSQL Journal that could
> be published by them.

IMHO, there are sufficient writers in the community to do the job.

If you encounter a tepid response may I suggest that you argue for a PostgreSQL column in one or more of their current
publications.Thus allowing the publisher to get their feet wet without feeling they've commited into something they
can'thandle.

> Again, this would be exploratory at first to gauge
> their interest and to determine the process for creating a journal by
> them. I'll report back on my findings

I myself will be curious to hear the outcome. The ball is in your court :-)

Robert

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
"Bob Zurek"
Date:
Hi Robert

Thanks for your note of welcome. I agree that an alternate and a good
first start is to potentially get a column in their Enterprise Open
Source magazine. Happy to pursue it.

Bob

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:36, Bob Zurek wrote:
> Hi:
> I'm the new CTO of EntepriseDB and have just joined this list.

Welcome to the community!

> With respect to this topic, I hope to reach out to Fuat Kircaali who
is
> the founder and CEO of SYS-CON Media and whom I've known for many
years
> to discuss the potential of creating a new PostgreSQL Journal that
could
> be published by them.

IMHO, there are sufficient writers in the community to do the job.

If you encounter a tepid response may I suggest that you argue for a
PostgreSQL column in one or more of their current publications. Thus
allowing the publisher to get their feet wet without feeling they've
commited into something they can't handle.

> Again, this would be exploratory at first to gauge
> their interest and to determine the process for creating a journal by
> them. I'll report back on my findings

I myself will be curious to hear the outcome. The ball is in your court
:-)

Robert

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
having regular articles in other people's publications.  I don't think that
we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
content.

If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to contribute to
these publications, which will reach people who aren't PG users or have even
heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This would be especially the case with
and online-only Journal, which nobody would stumble across on the newsstand
by accident.

I'd also be nervous about doing anything with SYS-CON Media given their rather
tainted reputation in the OSS community.

The only way this makes sense is if it would attract many new people to
writing and publishing about PostgreSQL who otherwise wouldn't do it.  If
nothing else, I don't believe that our existing active writers are sufficient
for a Journal.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:
On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
> having regular articles in other people's publications.  I don't think that
> we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
> wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
> content.

I don't believe we're robbing anybody.

As somebody who's income is primarily derived from advocating i.e. training and publishing articles, I have been
fortunatein seeing how the publishing industry works vis a vis opensource articles.

> If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to contribute to
> these publications, which will reach people who aren't PG users or have even
> heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This would be especially the case
> with  and online-only Journal, which nobody would stumble across on the
> newsstand  by accident.

> The only way this makes sense is if it would attract many new people to
> writing and publishing about PostgreSQL who otherwise wouldn't do it.  If
> nothing else, I don't believe that our existing active writers are
> sufficient  for a Journal.

I'm not worried about a lack of writers. In either case it's something that doesn't require a decision just yet.

Let's see what happens with Bob's initiative.

Robert

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
"Bob Zurek"
Date:
Probably makes sense to keep all our options open at this point but
agree with Josh on ensuring that we get PG visible in all publications,
blogs, etc. that he rightly points out. As far as Sys-Con, just an
option for now to see what they can offer. Wasn't aware of the tainted
reputation issues amongst the OS community with Sys-con. But I will note
your point.

Z.

[...]

David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:06:37AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own
> Journal vs.  having regular articles in other people's publications.
> I don't think that we have so many writers in the community that
> doing a PostgreSQL journal wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin
> magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of content.

Part of the trouble is that those qualified to write are also pretty
busy.

> If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to
> contribute to these publications, which will reach people who aren't
> PG users or have even heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This
> would be especially the case with and online-only Journal, which
> nobody would stumble across on the newsstand by accident.
>
> I'd also be nervous about doing anything with SYS-CON Media given
> their rather tainted reputation in the OSS community.

Could you elucidate this a bit?

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> > I'd also be nervous about doing anything with SYS-CON Media given
> > their rather tainted reputation in the OSS community.
>
> Could you elucidate this a bit?

I was referring to Maureen O'Gara and the mass resignation of the Linux
Magazine staff about 18 months ago.  AFAIK, that still hasn't been cleaned
up.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
>> having regular articles in other people's publications.  I don't think that
>> we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
>> wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
>> content.
>
> I don't believe we're robbing anybody.

Well I guess Josh's point was that there is only so much content that
the currently not so gigantic group of people competent in writing about
PostgreSQL community can write up. So the question is if this content
should best be published in a specialized PostgreSQL mag or in other
types of mags, like linux, programming etc. Because if the current crop
of writes would take the time they currently have and write for this new
journal, they might not have content to offer to other mags.

Obviously if the creation of this mag would result in more good content
being written on PostgreSQL, then it would be a whole different story.

regards,
Lukas

Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:06:37AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own
>> Journal vs.  having regular articles in other people's publications.
>> I don't think that we have so many writers in the community that
>> doing a PostgreSQL journal wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin
>> magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of content.
>
> Part of the trouble is that those qualified to write are also pretty
> busy.

+2

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: postgresql publication

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 3:56p -0700 on 31 Jul 2007, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own
>>> Journal vs. having regular articles in other people's publications.
>>> I don't think that we have so many writers in the community that
>>> doing a PostgreSQL journal wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin
>>> magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of content.
>>
>> I don't believe we're robbing anybody.
>
> Well I guess Josh's point was that there is only so much content that
> the currently not so gigantic group of people competent in writing about
> PostgreSQL community can write up.

Hmm.  I don't think I agree with this point, then.  Considering the
absolutely ginormous volume of knowledge and the number of _extremely_
intelligent people on this list, I think the problem may be more
"instant recall" or ideas than the fact that they have "nothing to write
about."  Knowing about what to write is generally the crux.

Also, don't forget: just because the regulars on these lists know
something, doesn't mean that it would not be helpful to noobs.  Even
trivial things are useful to those who don't know them.

If one is looking for ideas about which to write, it seems to me that
the fairly active mailing lists would be an excellent thermometer from
which to gauge (-general, -performance, -hackers, -interfaces, -admin
... basically any/all of the non-developer lists) what would be useful
to readers of such a publication.

> So the question is if this content
> should best be published in a specialized PostgreSQL mag or in other
> types of mags, like linux, programming etc.

I can't speak to this(, but I've scene a couple of articles regarding
PostgreSQL and MySQL in Linux Journal {April,May,June}\ 2007, I think) . . .

> Because if the current crop
> of writes would take the time they currently have and write for this new
> journal, they might not have content to offer to other mags.

. . . but this seems to me a silly argument.  We don't know that this
would be the case.  If there is sufficient interest in a publication,
why not see what happens?  If we don't have the authors, then we don't
have the authors.  If we don't have readers, then we don't have readers.
 At least we tried.  No need to future.

> Obviously if the creation of this mag would result in more good content
> being written on PostgreSQL, then it would be a whole different story.

Agreed.

Kevin

Re: postgresql publication

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> Considering the absolutely ginormous volume of knowledge and the number
> of _extremely_ intelligent people on this list, I think the problem may
> be more "instant recall" or ideas than the fact that they have "nothing
> to write about."  Knowing about what to write is generally the crux.

Knowing how to do something and being able to turn that into a written
article about it are two slightly different skill sets, and you have to
get both of them in the same person to create such content.  It's possible
to get something workable out of non-writers, but then you need to devote
substantial editing resources to polishing it and that has its own set of
issues.

As the most extreme example, consider how you'd handle an expert who
doesn't have English as their native language.  It's possible for someone
like that to be a great contributor on the coding and mailing lists here,
but you'd be hard pressed to get them to write in an article format.

If you take the subset of the community that understands the material,
then intersect with those who can write, then see who's left you'll find a
small group of people without much spare time; that's the point people
have been making here.  Since high quality technical writing never pays as
much as the same amount of time spent doing straight technical work does
unless you can sell the result to a huge audience (and PostgreSQL doesn't
qualify there yet), it also doesn't make economic sense for many of the
potentially qualified people to even dabble in this area.

> If one is looking for ideas about which to write, it seems to me that
> the fairly active mailing lists would be an excellent thermometer...

Ideas are the easy part; I have a list of >20 ideas for articles about
PostgreSQL that answer the sort of questions that pop up here regularly.
But writing any one of them takes many hours worth of research, writing
time, proofreading and testing, and similar work to actually turn into
something worth making available to the world at large.  As was mentioned
in the discussion about the MySQL comparision piece I've been working on
recently, a poorly written article can be worse than nothing, because it
can leave people with a bad taste for some aspect of the product or how
it's represented that isn't justified.

Re: postgresql publication

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 9:52p -0700 on 31 Jul 2007, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> Considering the absolutely ginormous volume of knowledge and the
>> number of _extremely_ intelligent people on this list, I think the
>> problem may be more "instant recall" or ideas than the fact that they
>> have "nothing to write about."  Knowing about what to write is
>> generally the crux.
>
> Knowing how to do something and being able to turn that into a written
> article about it are two slightly different skill sets, and you have to
> get both of them in the same person to create such content.  It's
> possible to get something workable out of non-writers, but then you need
> to devote substantial editing resources to polishing it and that has its
> own set of issues.

Okay.

> If you take the subset of the community that understands the material,
> then intersect with those who can write, then see who's left you'll find
> a small group of people without much spare time;

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who comprises any of those groups:
without naming names, how many writers are you suggesting the community
actually has?  I'm not pushing for something that is beginning to sound
like an unfeasible request, especially since I'm not in that small
group, but I am curious

> But writing any one of them takes many hours worth of research, writing
> time, proofreading and testing, and similar work to actually turn into
> something worth making available to the world at large.  As was
> mentioned in the discussion about the MySQL comparision piece I've been
> working on recently, a poorly written article can be worse than nothing,
> because it can leave people with a bad taste for some aspect of the
> product or how it's represented that isn't justified.

Fair enough.  The quality point is an excellent one, and one that I time
and again appreciate as I read the PostgreSQL lists and use the
PostgreSQL software.

Kevin

Re: postgresql publication

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 9:52p -0700 on 31 Jul 2007, Greg Smith wrote:
> Ideas are the easy part; I have a list of >20 ideas for articles about
> PostgreSQL that answer the sort of questions that pop up here regularly.

May I naively ask what some of these ideas are?  I ask because I think
we're coming at this publication thing from two different sides.  Having
read a few of your posts to the list, I gather you are fairly
knowledgeable about DBs in general and PostgreSQL in particular.  I am
at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Kevin

Re: postgresql publication

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who comprises any of those groups:
> without naming names, how many writers are you suggesting the community
> actually has?

I would suggest looking at the regulars posting interesting articles at
http://www.planetpostgresql.org/ to see who the main people writing in
this area are, and to get an idea how much free tutorial material is being
generated right now by them.

Re: postgresql publication

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> May I naively ask what some of these ideas are?  I ask because I think
> we're coming at this publication thing from two different sides.

Some sample article ideas I've culled from watching what people ask about
on the performance list (the main area I follow) are:

-How can I tell if auto-vacuum is working effectively for me?
-Is there a way to check that my table statistics are being collected
usefully?
-How do you measure index bloat and fix it if it's bad?
-What should I be paying attention to in the pg_stat* views?
-What's the useful range for configuring background writer parameters?

There are partial answers to all these questions in the archives because
these topics come up regularly, and these are addressed to some extent in
the documentation.  But the information is really spread out and it's
unreasonable to expect people will find it even if they know what to look
for--which they usually don't, they just know things are running slowly
but don't know why.

Writing stuff like this is unglamorous, usually takes much longer than
originally expected once you're deep enough in the writing research to
have mapped out the whole area, is hard to keep current as version
advances obsolete the content, and as I already mentioned writing pays
badly compared to consulting to fix these problems for individual clients
instead (and really badly compared to selling training services).  That
means on top of there not being a large pool of qualified writers, some of
the people who'd be in a great position to write have a strong economic
incentive not to share their respective secret sauces.

Re: postgresql publication

From
Chris Browne
Date:
hunteke@earlham.edu (Kevin Hunter) writes:
> At 9:52p -0700 on 31 Jul 2007, Greg Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>>> Considering the absolutely ginormous volume of knowledge and the
>>> number of _extremely_ intelligent people on this list, I think the
>>> problem may be more "instant recall" or ideas than the fact that they
>>> have "nothing to write about."  Knowing about what to write is
>>> generally the crux.
>>
>> Knowing how to do something and being able to turn that into a written
>> article about it are two slightly different skill sets, and you have to
>> get both of them in the same person to create such content.  It's
>> possible to get something workable out of non-writers, but then you need
>> to devote substantial editing resources to polishing it and that has its
>> own set of issues.
>
> Okay.
>
>> If you take the subset of the community that understands the material,
>> then intersect with those who can write, then see who's left you'll find
>> a small group of people without much spare time;
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who comprises any of those groups:
> without naming names, how many writers are you suggesting the community
> actually has?  I'm not pushing for something that is beginning to sound
> like an unfeasible request, especially since I'm not in that small
> group, but I am curious

I could readily name probably 8 to 10 people who would be in "that
group;" the list of people who have authored books isn't terribly
secret.  Various of them (us ;-)) have "weighed in" on this very
thread.

If they could all participate, that would be great, and it would quite
likely be enough to work.  It could readily grow itself to a dozen
authors, and that would seem enough to allow a "PostgreSQL Journal" to
work.

The trouble is that writing for a new magazine would be a distraction
from other existing/ongoing efforts, so that I don't think that more
than a fraction of the set would be prepared to participate.

A "PostgreSQL Journal" with 4 contributors would not seem viable, in
contrast.

Better, in that case, to have periodic contributions to (say)
publications that write about multiple DBMSes.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html

Re: postgresql publication

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:

> Some sample article ideas I've culled from watching what people ask about
> on the performance list (the main area I follow) are:
>
> -How can I tell if auto-vacuum is working effectively for me?
> -Is there a way to check that my table statistics are being collected
> usefully?
> -How do you measure index bloat and fix it if it's bad?
> -What should I be paying attention to in the pg_stat* views?
> -What's the useful range for configuring background writer parameters?

- How do encodings work?
- How do timezones work?
- How to configure autovacuum?