Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"
Date
Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:06:37AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own
> Journal vs.  having regular articles in other people's publications.
> I don't think that we have so many writers in the community that
> doing a PostgreSQL journal wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin
> magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of content.

Part of the trouble is that those qualified to write are also pretty
busy.

> If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to
> contribute to these publications, which will reach people who aren't
> PG users or have even heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This
> would be especially the case with and online-only Journal, which
> nobody would stumble across on the newsstand by accident.
>
> I'd also be nervous about doing anything with SYS-CON Media given
> their rather tainted reputation in the OSS community.

Could you elucidate this a bit?

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate