Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
> having regular articles in other people's publications.  I don't think that
> we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
> wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
> content.

I don't believe we're robbing anybody.

As somebody who's income is primarily derived from advocating i.e. training and publishing articles, I have been
fortunatein seeing how the publishing industry works vis a vis opensource articles.

> If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to contribute to
> these publications, which will reach people who aren't PG users or have even
> heard of PG rather than the faithful.  This would be especially the case
> with  and online-only Journal, which nobody would stumble across on the
> newsstand  by accident.

> The only way this makes sense is if it would attract many new people to
> writing and publishing about PostgreSQL who otherwise wouldn't do it.  If
> nothing else, I don't believe that our existing active writers are
> sufficient  for a Journal.

I'm not worried about a lack of writers. In either case it's something that doesn't require a decision just yet.

Let's see what happens with Bob's initiative.

Robert