Demo ideas?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Next week I need to "demo" PostgreSQL to a tech analyst.  Presumably
we'll be using some sort of remote desktop into one of my machines.

Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show off
some of PostgreSQL's unique features?

--Josh

Re: Demo ideas?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:58:38AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Next week I need to "demo" PostgreSQL to a tech analyst.  Presumably
> we'll be using some sort of remote desktop into one of my machines.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show
> off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?

PL/R and PostGIS would be good for showing off extensibility.  I'd
mention DBI-Link, but I'm not a disinterested party ;)

phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Demo ideas?

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Would an MPP demo be interesting?  A 1TB dataset could be available...

- Luke

Next week I need to "demo" PostgreSQL to a tech analyst.  Presumably
we'll be using some sort of remote desktop into one of my machines.

Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show off
some of PostgreSQL's unique features?

--Josh

       match

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:05:49AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:58:38AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show
> > off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?
>
> PL/R and PostGIS would be good for showing off extensibility.  I'd
> mention DBI-Link, but I'm not a disinterested party ;)

I was going to mention PostGIS as well.  Showing that you can write
server-side functions in many languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby,
PHP, R, sh, etc.) should score geek points, especially if you
demonstrate what can be done with set-returning functions.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 13:36, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:05:49AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:58:38AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show
> > > off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?
> >
> > PL/R and PostGIS would be good for showing off extensibility.  I'd
> > mention DBI-Link, but I'm not a disinterested party ;)
>
> I was going to mention PostGIS as well.  Showing that you can write
> server-side functions in many languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby,
> PHP, R, sh, etc.) should score geek points, especially if you
> demonstrate what can be done with set-returning functions.

Another option would be to show them pgAdmin III working around a slony
cluster. While *I* think writing function in multiple languages is cool,
it's not necessarily GUI friendly. Judge your audience accordingly.

Robert Treat

Re: Demo ideas?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:36:43AM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:05:49AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:58:38AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to
> > > show off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?
> >
> > PL/R and PostGIS would be good for showing off extensibility.  I'd
> > mention DBI-Link, but I'm not a disinterested party ;)
>
> I was going to mention PostGIS as well.  Showing that you can write
> server-side functions in many languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby,
> PHP, R, sh, etc.) should score geek points, especially if you
> demonstrate what can be done with set-returning functions.

I mentioned PL/R and PostGIS because they both have easy-to-see visual
demonstrations.  PostGIS is obvious, but maybe PL/R wasn't...

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/bernier/art_66/graphingWithR.html

phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:05:49AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:58:38AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show
>>> off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?
>> PL/R and PostGIS would be good for showing off extensibility.  I'd
>> mention DBI-Link, but I'm not a disinterested party ;)
>
> I was going to mention PostGIS as well.  Showing that you can write
> server-side functions in many languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby,
> PHP, R, sh, etc.) should score geek points, especially if you
> demonstrate what can be done with set-returning functions.

Tech analysts seems to have an increasing interest in Java these days. Enterprise features,
J2EE, Eclipse, jada jada.

Show Eclipse with Clay (http://www.azzurri.jp/en/software/clay/index.jsp) for instance. Easy
to set up and gives a good graphical demo. PostgreSQL has an excellent JDBC driver suite
(will be used in the demo). And don't forget to mention PL/Java ;-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Thomas,

> And don't forget to mention
> PL/Java ;-)

You'll be happy to know that the analyst had a specific question about java
procedural support.

BTW, what happened to the discussion of moving PL/java into core for 8.2?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
DDL rollback

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Next week I need to "demo" PostgreSQL to a tech analyst.  Presumably
> we'll be using some sort of remote desktop into one of my machines.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show off
> some of PostgreSQL's unique features?
>
> --Josh

>       match

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas,
>
>> And don't forget to mention
>> PL/Java ;-)
>
> You'll be happy to know that the analyst had a specific question about java
> procedural support.
>
> BTW, what happened to the discussion of moving PL/java into core for 8.2?

It got stalled here: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-08/msg00482.php

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Jeff Trout
Date:
On Feb 2, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Next week I need to "demo" PostgreSQL to a tech analyst.
> Presumably we'll be using some sort of remote desktop into one of
> my machines.
> Does anyone have suggestions on some quick things I can do to show
> off some of PostgreSQL's unique features?

You could do a crude datafeed kind of importy thing.

Say you're going to import news articles from src x.
You're going to get a timestamp, summary and article.

Make a type, then a simple perl function to remotely fetch it and
return it.

I know I've impressed some folks with that.
And mr. Fetter's useful dbi-link is nifty too

then again, I guess that is more of a geek demo than a PR demo..
geeks get excited by very different things :)

That R thing someone posted would be nifty. In fact, I'd never
considered doing that before and I may spend the afternoon changing
some graphing stuff around.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Kenneth Marshall
Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:29:39PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> > And don't forget to mention
> > PL/Java ;-)
>
> You'll be happy to know that the analyst had a specific question about java
> procedural support.
>
> BTW, what happened to the discussion of moving PL/java into core for 8.2?
>
> --
> --Josh

Josh,

We tried to include PL/java in our standard build, but the version of
the zlib library in the JVM is ancient and the incompatibility would
cause the DB to crash. Until we can get a JVM built against a current
library from Sun I think it would be a bad idea to have PL/java in
the core.

Ken

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Ken,
There are alternatives. The most obvious is perhaps to use gcj and avoid the jvm dependency
altogether. Other alternatives are listed under the heading "zlib conflict" here:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pljava/genpage.php?readme

Question: When is zlib used in the backend today?

Kind regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:29:39PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Thomas,
>>
>>> And don't forget to mention
>>> PL/Java ;-)
>> You'll be happy to know that the analyst had a specific question about java
>> procedural support.
>>
>> BTW, what happened to the discussion of moving PL/java into core for 8.2?
>>
>> --
>> --Josh
>>
> Josh,
>
> We tried to include PL/java in our standard build, but the version of
> the zlib library in the JVM is ancient and the incompatibility would
> cause the DB to crash. Until we can get a JVM built against a current
> library from Sun I think it would be a bad idea to have PL/java in
> the core.
>
> Ken

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Ken,
I made some further investigation concerning this. I knew that Sun has addressed this bug
long ago. Now I found two bug reports. Both bugs are marked as fixed/closed which make me
curious. What Java version are you using when you encounter this problem?

I also managed to locate an old discussion around this that might be of interest:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00715.php

It indicates that the zlib is perhaps not needed at all in the backend. It's there because
of "lazy" management of needed libraries.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:29:39PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Thomas,
>>
>>> And don't forget to mention
>>> PL/Java ;-)
>> You'll be happy to know that the analyst had a specific question about java
>> procedural support.
>>
>> BTW, what happened to the discussion of moving PL/java into core for 8.2?
>>
>> --
>> --Josh
>>
> Josh,
>
> We tried to include PL/java in our standard build, but the version of
> the zlib library in the JVM is ancient and the incompatibility would
> cause the DB to crash. Until we can get a JVM built against a current
> library from Sun I think it would be a bad idea to have PL/java in
> the core.
>
> Ken

Re: Demo ideas?

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> I made some further investigation concerning this. I knew that Sun has
> addressed this bug long ago. Now I found two bug reports. Both bugs are
> marked as fixed/closed
> which make me curious. What Java version are you using when you encounter
> this problem?
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4953050
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5077725

Bug 4953050 is marked to be fixed in "mustang(b65)", which is the next java
release (1.6) not yet available. The bug has been reported against 1.4.2 and
tiger-rc (1.5).

The other bug has this note that seems to imply that this was an issue
specific to Solaris and the fix might only apply to the specific platform.

[...digs again...]

Well, it seems this issue has been fixed in earlier versions, too. In a
j2sdk 1.4.2_06 install I have here, doing "nm -D libzip.so | grep ' T '"
shows that the exported symbols have prefixes now. (e.g.
Java_java_util_zip_CRC32_update).

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Well, it seems this issue has been fixed in earlier versions, too. In a
> j2sdk 1.4.2_06 install I have here, doing "nm -D libzip.so | grep ' T '"
> shows that the exported symbols have prefixes now. (e.g.
> Java_java_util_zip_CRC32_update).

Right. I made the same discovery. I also checked with a 1.5.0_05. Same thing there. Sun has
back ported this to both the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 branches. So this is likely to be a problem
that's easy to fix.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: PL/Java WAS: Demo ideas?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Thomas, Kenneth,

> Bug 4953050 is marked to be fixed in "mustang(b65)", which is the next java
> release (1.6) not yet available. The bug has been reported against 1.4.2
> and tiger-rc (1.5).
>
> The other bug has this note that seems to imply that this was an issue
> specific to Solaris and the fix might only apply to the specific platform.

Well, I have pull with both the Solaris team and Sun's Java people these days.
If you can put the problem into a coherent memo, I can probably get it
addressed in time for PostgreSQL 8.2, unless we run afoul of the JCP.

--Josh

Re: Demo ideas?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 02:25 +0100, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Question: When is zlib used in the backend today?

It isn't: zlib was only linked against the backend to simplify the build
process. In 8.2devel this has been corrected:

% ldd postgres
    libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00002aaaaabc2000)
    libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x00002aaaaacf5000)
    libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0x00002aaaaae0a000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00002aaaaaf21000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00002aaaab024000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002aaaab1a9000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00002aaaaaaab000)

See much discussion on this topic in the -hackers archive, and the fix
implemented by Martijn and Tom:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-11/msg00183.php

-Neil

Re: PL/Java WAS: Demo ideas?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas, Kenneth,
>
> > Bug 4953050 is marked to be fixed in "mustang(b65)", which is the next java
> > release (1.6) not yet available. The bug has been reported against 1.4.2
> > and tiger-rc (1.5).
> >
> > The other bug has this note that seems to imply that this was an issue
> > specific to Solaris and the fix might only apply to the specific platform.
>
> Well, I have pull with both the Solaris team and Sun's Java people these days.
> If you can put the problem into a coherent memo, I can probably get it
> addressed in time for PostgreSQL 8.2, unless we run afoul of the JCP.

So Sun is supporting PostgreSQL, but we have to write a memo to get a
fix.  This doesn't sound good.

Re: PL/Java WAS: Demo ideas?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> > Well, I have pull with both the Solaris team and Sun's Java people these
> > days. If you can put the problem into a coherent memo, I can probably get
> > it addressed in time for PostgreSQL 8.2, unless we run afoul of the JCP.
>
> So Sun is supporting PostgreSQL, but we have to write a memo to get a
> fix.  This doesn't sound good.

By which I mean "a fairly coherent bug report."  The Java people aren't going
to do anything on the basis of me sending them a link to a mailing list
archive.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PL/Java WAS: Demo ideas?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas, Kenneth,
>
>> Bug 4953050 is marked to be fixed in "mustang(b65)", which is the next java
>> release (1.6) not yet available. The bug has been reported against 1.4.2
>> and tiger-rc (1.5).
>>
>> The other bug has this note that seems to imply that this was an issue
>> specific to Solaris and the fix might only apply to the specific platform.
>
> Well, I have pull with both the Solaris team and Sun's Java people these days.
> If you can put the problem into a coherent memo, I can probably get it
> addressed in time for PostgreSQL 8.2, unless we run afoul of the JCP.
>
> --Josh

Thanks Josh, this is good to know the next time something pops up. No need for this
particular issue though. I'd consider the case closed since a) Sun has already fixed this.
The zlib fix is included in both the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 branches at least 2 maintenance
releases back and b) The PostgreSQL backend no longer link with zlib.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren