Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Hi,
I just had a conversation with a colleague concerning the virtues of PostgreSQL. As it turns
out, he actually owns the domain name postgresql.se and has had plans to do something with
it for some time. He lacks time and needs help.

What official web-presence does PostgreSQL have in Sweden today? (As a swede I should know I
guess, but I don't). Would there be an interest to get a postgresql.se site going? I'd like
to help out too but I don't know where to start.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi,
> I just had a conversation with a colleague concerning the
> virtues of PostgreSQL. As it turns out, he actually owns the
> domain name postgresql.se and has had plans to do something
> with it for some time. He lacks time and needs help.
>
> What official web-presence does PostgreSQL have in Sweden
> today? (As a swede I should know I guess, but I don't). Would
> there be an interest to get a postgresql.se site going? I'd
> like to help out too but I don't know where to start.

<webteam hat>
postgresql.se used to be linked from www.postgresql.org under
"International Sites". It was removed because it was almost never
updated, the site was down more than it was up, and contact mails went
unanswered. If this is changes - hey, great! :-)
</webteam hat>

Now, as for the future, which is what's actually interesting.

First of all, I'd love to see it redirecting to www.postgresql.org until
something else comes up. Should be simple enough.

I'm not sure I'm all that interested in getting a postgresql.se site
going. The main reason is that I don't really see what should go on it.
Duplicating content off postgresql.org is just stupid. And if we want it
translated, I'd much rather see it done within the postgresql.org
translation framework. So unless someone can come up with something that
would actually need a separate site, I don't really like it..

(If you've been reading the lists or archives you will find me
repeatingly complain that we have way too many different sites creating
a fragmented image already, so it's hardly a surprise I don't want
another one. That's just me, though...)

But, I'd love to see a swedish community, if there are enough people
interested in "building" one. A good start for that would be a community
mailinglist rather than a site - I'm sure Marc would be happy to set one
up if we're interested, as is already done for several other countries.

//Magnus

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm all that interested in getting a postgresql.se site
> going. The main reason is that I don't really see what should go on it.
> Duplicating content off postgresql.org is just stupid. And if we want it
> translated, I'd much rather see it done within the postgresql.org
> translation framework. So unless someone can come up with something that
> would actually need a separate site, I don't really like it..

Is there a translation framework?  That's news to me.  Has there been a
call for translations or something?

Date:
> > I'm not sure I'm all that interested in getting a
> postgresql.se site
> > going. The main reason is that I don't really see what
> should go on it.
> > Duplicating content off postgresql.org is just stupid. And
> if we want
> > it translated, I'd much rather see it done within the
> postgresql.org
> > translation framework. So unless someone can come up with something
> > that would actually need a separate site, I don't really like it..
>
> Is there a translation framework?  That's news to me.  Has
> there been a call for translations or something?

It has been there at least since the new site went online. Not sure how
it was before that. Dunno if there has been a specific call for
translations, that was before I got involved with the web stuff.

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > I'm not sure I'm all that interested in getting a
> > postgresql.se site
> > > going. The main reason is that I don't really see what
> > should go on it.
> > > Duplicating content off postgresql.org is just stupid. And
> > if we want
> > > it translated, I'd much rather see it done within the
> > postgresql.org
> > > translation framework. So unless someone can come up with something
> > > that would actually need a separate site, I don't really like it..
> >
> > Is there a translation framework?  That's news to me.  Has
> > there been a call for translations or something?
>
> It has been there at least since the new site went online. Not sure how
> it was before that. Dunno if there has been a specific call for
> translations, that was before I got involved with the web stuff.

Hmm, so how is one supposed to use it?  From the visitor point of view,
_and_ from the translator POV as well?

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> It has been there at least since the new site went online. Not sure how
> it was before that. Dunno if there has been a specific call for
> translations, that was before I got involved with the web stuff.

We're still missing any way to organize the translators and translation
files.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 17 November 2005 14:24, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > if we want
> > > postgresql.org
> > >
> > > Is there a translation framework?  That's news to me.  Has
> > > there been a call for translations or something?
> Hmm, so how is one supposed to use it?  From the visitor point of view,
> _and_ from the translator POV as well?

From the translator POV, there are a number of static files and a pot file
that would need to be translated, basically using static files and cvs..
After that there is some content that is database driven (news/events for
example) that can be translated through the web interface.  From the users
end I think it basically works by users navigating to postgresql.org and then
based on thier browser settings they are automagically served up content in
the appropriate language.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> >From the translator POV, there are a number of static files and a pot
> > file
>
> that would need to be translated, basically using static files and cvs..
> After that there is some content that is database driven (news/events
> for example) that can be translated through the web interface.  From the
> users end I think it basically works by users navigating to
> postgresql.org and then based on thier browser settings they are
> automagically served up content in the appropriate language.

Right.  Problem is, we don't yet have a framework to check which files are
done and which are drafts, whether all the files are done, which have been
XHTML validated, and which English files have been updated since the last
translation.    This is a huge TODO and I certainly wouldn't ask the
translators to get started without it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 17:02, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > >From the translator POV, there are a number of static files and a pot
> > > file
> >
> > that would need to be translated, basically using static files and cvs..
> > After that there is some content that is database driven (news/events
> > for example) that can be translated through the web interface.  From the
> > users end I think it basically works by users navigating to
> > postgresql.org and then based on thier browser settings they are
> > automagically served up content in the appropriate language.
>
> Right.  Problem is, we don't yet have a framework to check which files are
> done and which are drafts, whether all the files are done, which have been
> XHTML validated, and which English files have been updated since the last
> translation.    This is a huge TODO and I certainly wouldn't ask the
> translators to get started without it.

I think the po tools can do this for po files, and you could probably
write some form of perl script to determine translation updates based on
file timestamps, and a diff between directories would handle which files
are not translated yet. You can validate after the fact or while
translating (thats how we do it when developing). I'm not saying it's
pretty, but it's doable for a motivated individual.

Robert Treat

Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
>>> From the translator POV, there are a number of static files and a pot
>>> file
>>
>> that would need to be translated, basically using static files and cvs..
>> After that there is some content that is database driven (news/events
>> for example) that can be translated through the web interface.  From the
>> users end I think it basically works by users navigating to
>> postgresql.org and then based on thier browser settings they are
>> automagically served up content in the appropriate language.
>
> Right.  Problem is, we don't yet have a framework to check which files are
> done and which are drafts, whether all the files are done, which have been
> XHTML validated, and which English files have been updated since the last
> translation.    This is a huge TODO and I certainly wouldn't ask the
> translators to get started without it.

Any suggestions?

----