Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Swedish PostgreSQL site needs volunteers
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Hi,
> I just had a conversation with a colleague concerning the
> virtues of PostgreSQL. As it turns out, he actually owns the
> domain name postgresql.se and has had plans to do something
> with it for some time. He lacks time and needs help.
>
> What official web-presence does PostgreSQL have in Sweden
> today? (As a swede I should know I guess, but I don't). Would
> there be an interest to get a postgresql.se site going? I'd
> like to help out too but I don't know where to start.

<webteam hat>
postgresql.se used to be linked from www.postgresql.org under
"International Sites". It was removed because it was almost never
updated, the site was down more than it was up, and contact mails went
unanswered. If this is changes - hey, great! :-)
</webteam hat>

Now, as for the future, which is what's actually interesting.

First of all, I'd love to see it redirecting to www.postgresql.org until
something else comes up. Should be simple enough.

I'm not sure I'm all that interested in getting a postgresql.se site
going. The main reason is that I don't really see what should go on it.
Duplicating content off postgresql.org is just stupid. And if we want it
translated, I'd much rather see it done within the postgresql.org
translation framework. So unless someone can come up with something that
would actually need a separate site, I don't really like it..

(If you've been reading the lists or archives you will find me
repeatingly complain that we have way too many different sites creating
a fragmented image already, so it's hardly a surprise I don't want
another one. That's just me, though...)

But, I'd love to see a swedish community, if there are enough people
interested in "building" one. A good start for that would be a community
mailinglist rather than a site - I'm sure Marc would be happy to set one
up if we're interested, as is already done for several other countries.

//Magnus