An Open Letter from EnterpriseDB

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
To Everyone in the PostgreSQL Community:

We just wrapped up our first Linux World, and I wanted to take the
opportunity to report in on a couple of issues.

First, as some of you may already know, EnterpriseDB received the "Best
Database Solution" award from the Linux World judges, beating out MySQL,
Oracle, and DB2. Needless to say, we are more than pleased with this
result, especially since EDB has only been in the marketplace for 10
weeks.

But the truth is that EDB did not win this award...We all won it
together. EDB is based entirely on PostgreSQL, and it is that underlying
database technology that made it possible for EDB to receive this honor.
Not to get all mushy about this, but we are in this together, and I just
want to say Thank You. We will continue to do everything we can to
support the community and the ongoing development of PostgreSQL.
(PostgreSQL was not up for the award, btw, only because it didn't have a
its own booth at the show...)

I'd also like to comment on two other issues while I'm yapping away
here...

First, unlike Al Gore, EDB did not invent the internet, and it also does
not "make a database called PostgreSQL." One of the truths about
journalists is that they get a lot wrong. eWEEK got that one wrong.

And while we're on the topic, let me also be clear about another
statement in the same article, which stated that "SCO has added open
source database [vendor] EnterpriseDB to its partner list." While it is
true that EDB has agreed to qualify on the SCO platform, there is no
'partnership' beyond that. The business reason for the qualification is
simple: There are many customers on the SCO platform who are not
receiving high-quality support from their database vendor, and who may
be interested in an alternative, particularly one that offers
compatibility with their existing applications. We plan to provide this
alternative. Qualification on SCO is similar to qualifying on Solaris,
OS/X, or Windows.

Again, the main message here is one of appreciation and obligation to
the community. Thanks,

     -- Andy

------------------------
Andy Astor, CEO
EnterpriseDB Corporation
777 New Durham Road
Edison, NJ 08817
Tel  732.331.1310
www.enterprisedb.com

Crystal Reports or similar

From
Anton de Wet
Date:
Hi everyone

I've just had a call from one of our clients. They have need of a data
warehouse and have been quoted on M$SQL+CrystalReports+BusinessObjects.
As we're been spreading the OSS gospel for years, he'd like to hear what
we have to say on this and what OSS alternatives there are.

I've been working with PostgreSQL and applications since Postgres95, so I
know my way round postgresql, what I don't know much about it the type of
functionality that CrystalReports+BusinessObjects would give you.

What OSS or at least PostgreSQL friendly software would you suggest in
this arena?

Anton

Re: Crystal Reports or similar

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> I've been working with PostgreSQL and applications since Postgres95, so
> I know my way round postgresql, what I don't know much about it the type
> of functionality that CrystalReports+BusinessObjects would give you.

There is nothing in the OSS arena that can compete with that product to
my knowledge. My suggestion would be to continue to use it but use
PostgreSQL as the data source :)

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > I've been working with PostgreSQL and applications since Postgres95, so
> > I know my way round postgresql, what I don't know much about it the type
> > of functionality that CrystalReports+BusinessObjects would give you.
>
> There is nothing in the OSS arena that can compete with that product to
> my knowledge. My suggestion would be to continue to use it but use
> PostgreSQL as the data source :)

I would try OpenRpt:

    http://openmfg.com/solutions/openrpt.php

and of course we do work with Crystal Reports.

Re: Crystal Reports or similar

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Anton,

> I've just had a call from one of our clients. They have need of a data
> warehouse and have been quoted on M$SQL+CrystalReports+BusinessObjects.
> As we're been spreading the OSS gospel for years, he'd like to hear what
> we have to say on this and what OSS alternatives there are.

www.bizgres.org

We're putting together a raft of OSS technologies for BI and reporting.
Currently, bizgres 0.7 bundles with KETL and JasperReports; we'll be adding
more tools to that distribution in the next couple releases.  Join us!  Be
one of us!  ;-)

And, of course, you can always do PostgreSQL + CrystalReports +
BusinessObjects; I talked to the BO folks at LinuxWorld, and they say PG
works great with their products.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Anton,
>

>>I've just had a call from one of our clients. They have need of a data
>>warehouse and have been quoted on M$SQL+CrystalReports+BusinessObjects.
>>As we're been spreading the OSS gospel for years, he'd like to hear what
>>we have to say on this and what OSS alternatives there are.
>

> www.bizgres.org
>
> We're putting together a raft of OSS technologies for BI and reporting.
> Currently, bizgres 0.7 bundles with KETL and JasperReports; we'll be adding
> more tools to that distribution in the next couple releases.  Join us!  Be
> one of us!  ;-)

Can I drink the cool-aid too?

> And, of course, you can always do PostgreSQL + CrystalReports +
> BusinessObjects; I talked to the BO folks at LinuxWorld, and they say PG
> works great with their products.

Re: Crystal Reports or similar

From
Jutta Horstmann
Date:

Re: An Open Letter from EnterpriseDB

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Congratulations, that's an amazing honor.

I have been keeping my eye out, why is this not news? I expected to see
this story on slashdot or similar news outlets.

I hope it translates into some results for EDB and PostgreSQL.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Andy Astor wrote:
> To Everyone in the PostgreSQL Community:
>
> We just wrapped up our first Linux World, and I wanted to take the
> opportunity to report in on a couple of issues.
>
> First, as some of you may already know, EnterpriseDB received the "Best
> Database Solution" award from the Linux World judges, beating out MySQL,
> Oracle, and DB2. Needless to say, we are more than pleased with this
> result, especially since EDB has only been in the marketplace for 10
> weeks.
>
> But the truth is that EDB did not win this award...We all won it
> together. EDB is based entirely on PostgreSQL, and it is that underlying
> database technology that made it possible for EDB to receive this honor.
> Not to get all mushy about this, but we are in this together, and I just
> want to say Thank You. We will continue to do everything we can to
> support the community and the ongoing development of PostgreSQL.
> (PostgreSQL was not up for the award, btw, only because it didn't have a
> its own booth at the show...)
>
> I'd also like to comment on two other issues while I'm yapping away
> here...
>
> First, unlike Al Gore, EDB did not invent the internet, and it also does
> not "make a database called PostgreSQL." One of the truths about
> journalists is that they get a lot wrong. eWEEK got that one wrong.
>
> And while we're on the topic, let me also be clear about another
> statement in the same article, which stated that "SCO has added open
> source database [vendor] EnterpriseDB to its partner list." While it is
> true that EDB has agreed to qualify on the SCO platform, there is no
> 'partnership' beyond that. The business reason for the qualification is
> simple: There are many customers on the SCO platform who are not
> receiving high-quality support from their database vendor, and who may
> be interested in an alternative, particularly one that offers
> compatibility with their existing applications. We plan to provide this
> alternative. Qualification on SCO is similar to qualifying on Solaris,
> OS/X, or Windows.
>
> Again, the main message here is one of appreciation and obligation to
> the community. Thanks,
>
>      -- Andy
>
> ------------------------
> Andy Astor, CEO
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> 777 New Durham Road
> Edison, NJ 08817
> Tel  732.331.1310
> www.enterprisedb.com

Re: An Open Letter from EnterpriseDB

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
Hi Jeff,

It *is* news. There were a bunch of industry articles about it. I've
listed below some the articles that mentioned EnterpriseDB last week,
some of which discussed the award. Still working on slashdot, though ;-)

    andy

eWEEK, August 11
"Open source database technologies flourish at LinuxWorld," Lisa Vaas

InfoWorld Blogs, August 11
"LinuxWorld, Strider HoneyMonkey, storage and backup," Tom Sullivan
http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/003697.html

InfoWorld Open Source Blogs, August 11, 2005 "EnterpriseDB wins Product
Excellence," Dave Rosenberg http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/

CNET News.com, August 10
"Database start-ups bet on open source," Martin LaMonica
http://news.com.com/Database+start-ups+bet+on+open+source/2100-7344_3-58
2566
3.html?tag=nefd.lede

Linux Business News, August 10
"LinuxWorld San Francisco 2005: EnterpriseDB wins "Best Database" award"
http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/117728.htm

Linux Business News, August 10
"Look out Oracle, PostgreSQL-based database promoted to "GA" status"
http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/117699.htm

LinuxWorld, August 10
"2005 Product Excellence Awards, managed by LinuxWorld Magazine editors,
presented in SF"
http://linux.sys-con.com/read/117705.htm

eWEEK, August 9
"EnterpriseDB ships PostgreSQL-based database," Lisa Vaas

IDG News Service, August 9
"LinuxWorld SF: open-source database enters crowded field," James
Niccolai
http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,
1037
98,00.html

InfoWorld, August 9
"EnterpriseDB set to battle MySQL, Oracle," Paul Krill
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/09/HNenterprisedb_1.html

Application Development Trends, August 8 "LinuxWorld Conference draws
penguin lovers to SF," John Waters
http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=11637

CNET News.com, August 8
"LinuxWorld outgrows original outfit," Stephen Shankland
http://news.com.com/LinuxWorld+outgrows+original+outfit/2100-7344_3-5820
840.
html

broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

EnterpriseDB funding

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Congrats EnterpriseDB guys!

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050907005471&newsLang=en
"        September 07, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone  EnterpriseDB Corporation Announces $7 Million in Venture
CapitalFinancing; Charles River Ventures, Valhalla Partners  Co-Lead Investment in Provider of Open-Source-Based
Database...
"
(for the guys who don't know, Charles River is one of the
top-tier VCs in the same league as the guys behind mysql)

It'll be fun to see how you guys use this money.  One idea
that I'm sure you already thought of - perhaps team with a
cost effective HW provider like Rackable and win
the price/performance TPC benchmarks).

Re: EnterpriseDB funding

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 15:48:56 -0700,
  Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> Congrats EnterpriseDB guys!
>
> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050907005471&newsLang=en
> "        September 07, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone
>   EnterpriseDB Corporation Announces $7 Million in Venture
>   Capital Financing; Charles River Ventures, Valhalla Partners
>   Co-Lead Investment in Provider of Open-Source-Based Database...
> "
> (for the guys who don't know, Charles River is one of the
> top-tier VCs in the same league as the guys behind mysql)
>

> It'll be fun to see how you guys use this money.  One idea
> that I'm sure you already thought of - perhaps team with a
> cost effective HW provider like Rackable and win
> the price/performance TPC benchmarks).

Getting funded by a VC isn't always that great.
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/sep01/speak.html
http://www.waxy.org/random/arsdigita/

Re: EnterpriseDB funding

From
Chris Browne
Date:
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> Congrats EnterpriseDB guys!
>
> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050907005471&newsLang=en
> "        September 07, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone
>    EnterpriseDB Corporation Announces $7 Million in Venture
>    Capital Financing; Charles River Ventures, Valhalla Partners
>    Co-Lead Investment in Provider of Open-Source-Based Database...
> "
> (for the guys who don't know, Charles River is one of the
> top-tier VCs in the same league as the guys behind mysql)

It's a two-edged sword; life tends to be simpler when you're using
your own money, and don't have to answer to others...

But there is doubtless a big "rush" out of attracting enough interest
that these folks will invest in them.  Congratulations are definitely
in order...

> It'll be fun to see how you guys use this money.  One idea that I'm
> sure you already thought of - perhaps team with a cost effective HW
> provider like Rackable and win the price/performance TPC
> benchmarks).

Well, at some point it's got to point to activities which will cause
money to roll in.

TPC benchmarks are likely sufficiently indirect that I'm not sure how
helpful that would be.

The directions already taken strike me as sensible ones to enhance...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html