Re: An Open Letter from EnterpriseDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andy Astor
Subject Re: An Open Letter from EnterpriseDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Jeff,

It *is* news. There were a bunch of industry articles about it. I've
listed below some the articles that mentioned EnterpriseDB last week,
some of which discussed the award. Still working on slashdot, though ;-)

    andy

eWEEK, August 11
"Open source database technologies flourish at LinuxWorld," Lisa Vaas

InfoWorld Blogs, August 11
"LinuxWorld, Strider HoneyMonkey, storage and backup," Tom Sullivan
http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/003697.html

InfoWorld Open Source Blogs, August 11, 2005 "EnterpriseDB wins Product
Excellence," Dave Rosenberg http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/

CNET News.com, August 10
"Database start-ups bet on open source," Martin LaMonica
http://news.com.com/Database+start-ups+bet+on+open+source/2100-7344_3-58
2566
3.html?tag=nefd.lede

Linux Business News, August 10
"LinuxWorld San Francisco 2005: EnterpriseDB wins "Best Database" award"
http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/117728.htm

Linux Business News, August 10
"Look out Oracle, PostgreSQL-based database promoted to "GA" status"
http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/117699.htm

LinuxWorld, August 10
"2005 Product Excellence Awards, managed by LinuxWorld Magazine editors,
presented in SF"
http://linux.sys-con.com/read/117705.htm

eWEEK, August 9
"EnterpriseDB ships PostgreSQL-based database," Lisa Vaas

IDG News Service, August 9
"LinuxWorld SF: open-source database enters crowded field," James
Niccolai
http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,
1037
98,00.html

InfoWorld, August 9
"EnterpriseDB set to battle MySQL, Oracle," Paul Krill
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/09/HNenterprisedb_1.html

Application Development Trends, August 8 "LinuxWorld Conference draws
penguin lovers to SF," John Waters
http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=11637

CNET News.com, August 8
"LinuxWorld outgrows original outfit," Stephen Shankland
http://news.com.com/LinuxWorld+outgrows+original+outfit/2100-7344_3-5820
840.
html

MySQL,
> > Oracle, and DB2. Needless to say, we are more than pleased with this
> > result, especially since EDB has only been in the marketplace for 10
> > weeks.
> >
> > But the truth is that EDB did not win this award...We all won it
> > together. EDB is based entirely on PostgreSQL, and it is that
underlying
> > database technology that made it possible for EDB to receive this
honor.
> > Not to get all mushy about this, but we are in this together, and I
just
> > want to say Thank You. We will continue to do everything we can to
> > support the community and the ongoing development of PostgreSQL.
> > (PostgreSQL was not up for the award, btw, only because it didn't
have a
> > its own booth at the show...)
> >
> > I'd also like to comment on two other issues while I'm yapping away
> > here...
> >
> > First, unlike Al Gore, EDB did not invent the internet, and it also
does
> > not "make a database called PostgreSQL." One of the truths about
> > journalists is that they get a lot wrong. eWEEK got that one wrong.
> >
> > And while we're on the topic, let me also be clear about another
> > statement in the same article, which stated that "SCO has added open
> > source database [vendor] EnterpriseDB to its partner list." While it
is
> > true that EDB has agreed to qualify on the SCO platform, there is no
> > 'partnership' beyond that. The business reason for the qualification
is
> > simple: There are many customers on the SCO platform who are not
> > receiving high-quality support from their database vendor, and who
may
> > be interested in an alternative, particularly one that offers
> > compatibility with their existing applications. We plan to provide
this
> > alternative. Qualification on SCO is similar to qualifying on
Solaris,