email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
elein
Date:
Finally...  I'm ready to start handling the
onsite OSCON organizations.

It was pointed out that we do not want to do
the organization on advocacy and no one was
interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
use a mailing list.

Marc, is it possible to please set up a mailing
list for pgsql-oscon and enable me to administer
it?

This is the to do list so far:
    * Schedule BOF (elein)
    * pgsql table staffing
      (mail to elein@varlena.com to sign up if you haven't
       already--I have a good list but
       we *know* we'll need as many people as
       possible.)
    * swag for table
        * CD
        * brochure
        * tshirt for table staffers (?)
    * offsite soiree

We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
when it gets created?

elein
elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
                        1-866-varlena
          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

It should be noted that a booth at OSCON for the .Orgs only includes "1"
exhibitor pass.
As I arranged for the booth, please let me know who that person should be.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

elein wrote:

>Finally...  I'm ready to start handling the
>onsite OSCON organizations.
>
>It was pointed out that we do not want to do
>the organization on advocacy and no one was
>interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
>use a mailing list.
>
>Marc, is it possible to please set up a mailing
>list for pgsql-oscon and enable me to administer
>it?
>
>This is the to do list so far:
>    * Schedule BOF (elein)
>    * pgsql table staffing
>      (mail to elein@varlena.com to sign up if you haven't
>       already--I have a good list but
>       we *know* we'll need as many people as
>       possible.)
>    * swag for table
>        * CD
>        * brochure
>        * tshirt for table staffers (?)
>    * offsite soiree
>
>We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
>this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
>creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
>when it gets created?
>
>elein
>elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
>                        1-866-varlena
>          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
>
>PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

> It was pointed out that we do not want to do
> the organization on advocacy and no one was
> interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
> use a mailing list.

Um, why not do it on the Advocacy mailing list?   What is the Advocacy list
for, if not this?  Just prefix the subject lines with OSCON and people not
going can ignore them.

SO you know, I'm still waiting for word back from O'Reilly on a discount code
for PostgreSQL community members.   I've been waiting for about 10 days, not
sure what's going on.

> We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
> this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
> creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
> when it gets created?

Well, we need an ISO.  Once that's done, we can use community resources (e.g.
25 people with CD burners and lable printers) to get the CDs done.

Alternately, if we can raise money, we can have it professionally done and get
CDs for LWE as well.   Having CDs factory-burned only pays if we're getting
at lease 1000, though.

We *do* need a CD cover and T-Shirt design.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> It should be noted that a booth at OSCON for the .Orgs only includes "1"
> exhibitor pass.
> As I arranged for the booth, please let me know who that person should be.

Can you find out whether or not we are allowed to sell T-shirts to raise
funds?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Robert Bernier

Josh Berkus wrote:

>>We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
>>this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
>>creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
>>when it gets created?

I think you mean the one I've already created. Marc has a copy of it. I
was planning to update it in about a months time

Rob

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Elein,
>
> > It was pointed out that we do not want to do
> > the organization on advocacy and no one was
> > interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
> > use a mailing list.
>
> Um, why not do it on the Advocacy mailing list?   What is the Advocacy list
> for, if not this?  Just prefix the subject lines with OSCON and people not
> going can ignore them.

I had thought of maybe a pgsql-events list ... more general then just
oscon, but would be more specific then just advocacy ...

----

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
elein
Date:
It was discussed earlier that the details of the
preparations should not necessarily be on the public
list.

If no one thinks that is important, then
by all means let us stay on the advocacy list.
I never had a problem with that.

I have the start of the mailing list, too.  Robert, we
should exchange information.

elein

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:50:51AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> > It was pointed out that we do not want to do
> > the organization on advocacy and no one was
> > interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
> > use a mailing list.
>
> Um, why not do it on the Advocacy mailing list?   What is the Advocacy list
> for, if not this?  Just prefix the subject lines with OSCON and people not
> going can ignore them.
>
> SO you know, I'm still waiting for word back from O'Reilly on a discount code
> for PostgreSQL community members.   I've been waiting for about 10 days, not
> sure what's going on.
>
> > We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
> > this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
> > creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
> > when it gets created?
>
> Well, we need an ISO.  Once that's done, we can use community resources (e.g.
> 25 people with CD burners and lable printers) to get the CDs done.
>
> Alternately, if we can raise money, we can have it professionally done and get
> CDs for LWE as well.   Having CDs factory-burned only pays if we're getting
> at lease 1000, though.
>
> We *do* need a CD cover and T-Shirt design.
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Josh,

It should be noted that a booth at OSCON for the .Orgs only includes "1"
exhibitor pass.
As I arranged for the booth, please let me know who that person should be.
Can you find out whether or not we are allowed to sell T-shirts to raise
funds?

You bet. I will make the call today.

Date:
> You bet. I will make the call today.

"There no restrictions on what the .Orgs sell"

I wonder ;)

Anyway I spoke with the coordinator at O'Reilly. Yes we can sell our SWAG.

> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Elein Mustain
Date:
Swag is good. I'd like to see tee shirts for the advocacy team,
booth tenders and speakers at the very least so that we can
be more visible.  Give away or sell teeshirts would be great.
Robert Bernier needs CDs burned.

I'm not sure what else. Brochures if we've got text.

But! I'm out of the country attending the Netherlands Open Source
conference (where I'll be speaking on PostgreSQL :-).  I'll be
back at the start of June.  I'll have sporadic email until I
return.  But what actually gets done is what really counts so
do not wait if you've got something in mind that needs to move
forward.

cheers,

elein

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 05:57:14PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Afilias marketing folks are possibly interested in swagging us.
> What sort of stuff do we want, and what kind of volume?

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 12:53:38PM -0700, elein wrote:
> >
> > Finally...  I'm ready to start handling the
> > onsite OSCON organizations.
> >
> > It was pointed out that we do not want to do
> > the organization on advocacy and no one was
> > interested in my wiki, I think we'll have to
> > use a mailing list.
> >
> > Marc, is it possible to please set up a mailing
> > list for pgsql-oscon and enable me to administer
> > it?
> >
> > This is the to do list so far:
> >     * Schedule BOF (elein)
> >     * pgsql table staffing
> >       (mail to elein@varlena.com to sign up if you haven't
> >        already--I have a good list but
> >        we *know* we'll need as many people as
> >        possible.)
> >     * swag for table
> >         * CD
> >         * brochure
> >         * tshirt for table staffers (?)
> >     * offsite soiree
> >
> > We'll need to clarify the swag.  Greg, you have a handle on
> > this right?  I also cannot find who was interested in
> > creating the CD.  Could you contact me or the oscon list
> > when it gets created?
> >
> > elein
> > elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
> >                         1-866-varlena
> >           PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
> >
> > PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

> Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
> The plural of anecdote is not data.
>         --Roger Brinner

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Elein Mustain wrote:
> Swag is good. I'd like to see tee shirts for the advocacy team,
> booth tenders and speakers at the very least so that we can
> be more visible.

I always find booths where the staff wears uniform T-shirts to be pretty
lame.  I don't know how OSCON looks, but I'd suggest you wear something
normal and give everyone a name tag with an identifying logo.  I've
seen open source project staff dressed in suits and that looked very
respectable, but it may be inappropriate for a conference (as opposed
to an exhibition).

Elein Mustain wrote:

>Swag is good. I'd like to see tee shirts for the advocacy team,
>booth tenders and speakers at the very least so that we can
>be more visible.  Give away or sell teeshirts would be great.
>Robert Bernier needs CDs burned.

    * Somebody please suggest a time table: when would you like to see a
      completed CD?
    * For that matter, what would like the CD to have and do?
    * Among documentation I can include not only the default pg
      reference stuff but I "could" also include a couple of the online
      references ie: Bruce's book and Command Prompt Inc book. Comments?

>I'm not sure what else. Brochures if we've got text.

We could include the case studies I created. As a matter of fact oreilly
had created and printed a set of brochures describing "BSD success
stories" at Dru Lavigne's request for the recently held  BSD-CAN held in
Ottawa. Josh, what do you think?

Robert

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 08:04, Robert Bernier wrote:
>     * Among documentation I can include not only the default pg
>       reference stuff but I "could" also include a couple of the online
>       references ie: Bruce's book and Command Prompt Inc book. Comments?

I have a copy of the old great bridge guide to postgresql I could send
you. Its a little dated, but probably no more so than Bruce/Command
Prompts books.  I will dig it up and email it to you so you can check it
out.

Robert Treat

Re: email list for onsite oscon preparations

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Sounds good.

Date:
Am Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2004 15:21 schrieb Robert Treat:
> I have a copy of the old great bridge guide to postgresql I could send
> you. Its a little dated, but probably no more so than Bruce/Command
> Prompts books.  I will dig it up and email it to you so you can check it
> out.

I thought it consisted mainly of the regular PostgreSQL documentation plus
their own installation guide.