Re: pgsql in Portugal

Date:
Luis Forte wrote:
> hi Bruce
>
> My name is Luis Forte, live in Lisbon, Portugal, and work at PTelecom,
> a telecom operator in this country (the largest operator, but that's
> just a minor fact).
> I'm the technical manager at one of our call-centers. We operate with
> Oracle, though at least one of the components of the Telecom Inteligent
> Network (IN) use Postgres.
> Out of job I work with, and prefer, Postgres. Some years ago I used
> Mysql, but Postgres maturity fascinated me two years ago: I've been
> using it, and love it.
> I'd like to help:
> by marketing the software, translating if necessary or any other kind
> of support.
> I'll be pleased to help !

We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we have some Portugese
support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.

I will CC this message to our advocacy list in case they have some
ideas.

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 22:07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Luis Forte wrote:
> > hi Bruce
> >
> > My name is Luis Forte, live in Lisbon, Portugal, and work at PTelecom,
> > a telecom operator in this country (the largest operator, but that's
> > just a minor fact).
> > I'm the technical manager at one of our call-centers. We operate with
> > Oracle, though at least one of the components of the Telecom Inteligent
> > Network (IN) use Postgres.
> > Out of job I work with, and prefer, Postgres. Some years ago I used
> > Mysql, but Postgres maturity fascinated me two years ago: I've been
> > using it, and love it.
> > I'd like to help:
> > by marketing the software, translating if necessary or any other kind
> > of support.
> > I'll be pleased to help !
>
> We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we have some Portugese
> support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.
>
> I will CC this message to our advocacy list in case they have some
> ideas.

Can we coordinate a case study of how and why PTelecom uses postgresql,
especially contrasted with it's use of oracle?

If you'd like to do some legwork, the standard things to translate
include back end files, FAQ, and advocacy website. I think those might
all be covered but if you find one that isn't or needs updating then
please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin
and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese
covered.

Robert Treat

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I'm the new guy on the block for doing case studies. Right now I have a list half a dozen companies to do case studies on. I would suggest that Luis give me business links to his company and some contact names then we can start scheduling things from there.

Robert Bernier

Robert Treat wrote:
[...]

Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> > We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we have some Portugese
> > support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.
<snip>
> please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin
> and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese
> covered.
<snip>

Brazillian Portuguese and Iberian Portuguese are not the same -- probably as
different as French and Creole.   We would need to start with translating all
sorts of things into Iberian Portuguese; we haven't had the involvemment of
people from Portugal before.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
elein
Date:
I do believe written brazillian portugues and
iberian portugues are compatible.  This is
from having General Bits translated into portugues.

Can we get some actual portugues speakers to
weigh in on this?  I should have more information
shortly.

elein

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:59:17AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > > We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we have some Portugese
> > > support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.
> <snip>
> > please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin
> > and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese
> > covered.
> <snip>
>
> Brazillian Portuguese and Iberian Portuguese are not the same -- probably as
> different as French and Creole.   We would need to start with translating all
> sorts of things into Iberian Portuguese; we haven't had the involvemment of
> people from Portugal before.
>

> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
elein
Date:
Juliano Da Silva, who translates General Bits into
Portuguese for me, says that the difference between
Iberian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese is similar
to the difference between American English and
British English.

Same roots, same grammar, but sometimes different
words or expressions for the same things, like
boot vs. trunk, nappy vs. diaper, etc.

Some actual differences are:

English = Brazilian Portuguese  = Iberian Portuguese
Monitor = Monitor               = Ecrã
File    = Arquivo               = Ficheiro

elein@varlena.com

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:31:30AM -0700, elein wrote:
> I do believe written brazillian portugues and
> iberian portugues are compatible.  This is
> from having General Bits translated into portugues.
>
> Can we get some actual portugues speakers to
> weigh in on this?  I should have more information
> shortly.
>
> elein
>

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:59:17AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Guys,

> > <snip>
> > > please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin
> > > and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese
> > > covered.
> > <snip>
> >
> > Brazillian Portuguese and Iberian Portuguese are not the same -- probably as
> > different as French and Creole.   We would need to start with translating all
> > sorts of things into Iberian Portuguese; we haven't had the involvemment of
> > people from Portugal before.
> >

> > --
> > Josh Berkus
> > Aglio Database Solutions
> > San Francisco

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

> Juliano Da Silva, who translates General Bits into
> Portuguese for me, says that the difference between
> Iberian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese is similar
> to the difference between American English and
> British English.

OK.  I was speaking based on my experience in OpenOffice.org; there the
Iberian and Brazillian speakers insisted on seperate projects becuase they
said that the two dialects are not intelligible.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
Luis Forte
Date:
hi robert

i'll meet the guys involved on that project  soon (October, 7th).

If, as I believe, it is still up and running, I will let you know,
including their contacts.

alf

Robert Treat wrote:

My name is Luis Forte, live in Lisbon, Portugal, and work at PTelecom,

a telecom operator in this country (the largest operator, but that's

just a minor fact).

I'm the technical manager at one of our call-centers. We operate with

Oracle, though at least one of the components of the Telecom
Inteligent

Network (IN) use Postgres.

Out of job I work with, and prefer, Postgres. Some years ago I used

Mysql, but Postgres maturity fascinated me two years ago: I've been

using it, and love it.

I'd like to help:

by marketing the software, translating if necessary or any other kind

of support.

I'll be pleased to help !

      </bigger></fixed>

<fixed><bigger>We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we
have some Portugese

support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.

I will CC this message to our advocacy list in case they have some

ideas.

    </bigger></fixed>

<fixed><bigger>

Can we coordinate a case study of how and why PTelecom uses postgresql,

especially contrasted with it's use of oracle?

If you'd like to do some legwork, the standard things to translate

include back end files, FAQ, and advocacy website. I think those might

all be covered but if you find one that isn't or needs updating then

please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin

and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese

covered.

Robert Treat

  </bigger></fixed>

</color></excerpt>
hi robert
i'll meet the guys involved on that project  soon (October, 7th).
If, as I believe, it is still up and running, I will let you know,
including their contacts.

alf

On Quinta, Set 25, 2003, at 13:58 Europe/Lisbon, Robert Bernier wrote:

> I'm the new guy on the block for doing case studies. Right now I have
> a list half a dozen companies to do case studies on. I would suggest
> that Luis give me business links to his company and some contact names
> then we can start scheduling things from there.
>
> Robert Bernier
>

> Robert Treat wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 22:07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> Luis Forte wrote:
>

> hi Bruce
>
> My name is Luis Forte, live in Lisbon, Portugal, and work at PTelecom,
> a telecom operator in this country (the largest operator, but that's
> just a minor fact).
> I'm the technical manager at one of our call-centers. We operate with
> Oracle, though at least one of the components of the Telecom Inteligent
> Network (IN) use Postgres.
> Out of job I work with, and prefer, Postgres. Some years ago I used
> Mysql, but Postgres maturity fascinated me two years ago: I've been
> using it, and love it.
> I'd like to help:
> by marketing the software, translating if necessary or any other kind
> of support.
> I'll be pleased to help !
>

> We have a documentation mailing list, and I think we have some
> Portugese
> support material.  I think it is listed on the web site.
>
> I will CC this message to our advocacy list in case they have some
> ideas.
>

> Can we coordinate a case study of how and why PTelecom uses postgresql,
> especially contrasted with it's use of oracle?
>
> If you'd like to do some legwork, the standard things to translate
> include back end files, FAQ, and advocacy website. I think those might
> all be covered but if you find one that isn't or needs updating then
> please jump in.  After that I usually suggest helping translate pgAdmin
> and phpPgAdmin, though I think they both might already have Portuguese
> covered.
>
> Robert Treat

Re: pgsql in Portugal

From
Luis Forte
Date:
hi Elein

in fact, portuguese spoken in portugal is similar to brazilian
portuguese. But it's more different than what you think.
Take this single example: portuguese users use the word "monitor"  or
"ecrã"  to name the crt,tft,etc. Portuguese Brazilian  "Tela" is
commonly used to refer a monitor in Brazil. "Tela", in Portugal,  is
the place were the painter (an artist) paints. Intuition leads you, a
professional, and you find out they are talking about a monitor. New
users won't get there so easy.
Obviously we (portuguese and brazilian) understand each other. On a
social dialog there are minor differences, but technical stuff is a bit
different.
Another point of view about documentation: the more we have the better,
just like in software ! I'm not implying redundancy with that, but
complementarity.

alf