See full query text in Server Status window

From
Evan Martin
Date:
Is there any way to get the full query text for a given process in the
Server Status window? The Query column shows the start of it, so I
presume pgAdmin has the whole thing, but is not showing it. If it's not
currently possible please add it! Something like a "copy query to
clipboard" context menu option or, even better, "open query in new query
window" (which would automatically connect to the same database as well).

Re: See full query text in Server Status window

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 21:53 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> Is there any way to get the full query text for a given process in the
> Server Status window? The Query column shows the start of it, so I
> presume pgAdmin has the whole thing, but is not showing it. If it's not
> currently possible please add it! Something like a "copy query to
> clipboard" context menu option or, even better, "open query in new query
> window" (which would automatically connect to the same database as well).

The latter already exists: third button in the toolbar (starting from
the left). But remember that pgAdmin only gets what PostgreSQL gives it.
What I mean is that PostgreSQL truncates the query to the 1024 first
characters in old releases. In more recent releases (8.4 I think, but I
may be wrong), you have the track_activity_query_size GUC to change the
maximum size of a query.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: See full query text in Server Status window

From
Evan Martin
Date:
thanks.<br/><br /> I was looking in the main menu or context menu for this. I think it's unusual for an application to
offersome command <i>only</i> from a toolbar. Cancel Query and Terminate Backend also seem to be in this category. Are
4/12/201211:25 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:<br /></div><blockquote
cite="mid:1354623941.2079.24.camel@localhost.localdomain"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 21:53 +1100,

Date:
On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 19:28 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> You're right, the third button does exactly what I want, I just didn't
> know about it - thanks.
>
> I was looking in the main menu or context menu for this. I think it's
> unusual for an application to offer some command /only/ from a toolbar.
> Cancel Query and Terminate Backend also seem to be in this category. Are
> there shortcut keys for them? If not, that would be very useful.

AFAIR, no shortcut, and it's probably better this way. I wouldn't like
that, because of a refresh I didn't expect, I cancel another query or
kill another connection.

But I agree that it would be good to have the actions in some menus.
Will have to keep that in mind to code it later.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: See full query text in Server Status window

From
Evan Martin
Date:
You mean pressing the shorcut key right after the server status has
refreshed, so the selection is on a different row? Couldn't the same
thing happen with the toolbar button? Anyway, I have a suggestion to fix
that: when the list refreshes, if the previously selected process no
longer exists simply select no row (ie. clear the selection). The button
or shorcut key would then be disabled.

Date:
On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 20:12 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> You mean pressing the shorcut key right after the server status has
> refreshed, so the selection is on a different row? Couldn't the same
> thing happen with the toolbar button? Anyway, I have a suggestion to fix
> that: when the list refreshes, if the previously selected process no
> longer exists simply select no row (ie. clear the selection). The button
> or shorcut key would then be disabled.

You're right. I added a ticket on this so that I can work on this later.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: See full query text in Server Status window

From
Evan Martin
Date:
Thanks, Guillaume. It's ticket 386, right? Could you also add shortcut
keys while you're at it? That would be more useful than the menu items
themselves. And it may be worth mentioning the whole "clear selection"
thing in the ticket so it doesn't get lost.

Date:
On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 18:38 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> Thanks, Guillaume. It's ticket 386, right?

Yes.

>  Could you also add shortcut keys while you're at it?

Any ideas what shortcut keys you would like? I have six items:
* Refresh (Ctrl-R?)* Copy query (Ctrl-Shift-C)* Cancel query (Ctrl-R?)* Terminate backend (Suppr?)* Commit prepared
transaction*Rollback prepared transaction

>  That would be more useful than the menu items
> themselves. And it may be worth mentioning the whole "clear selection"
> thing in the ticket so it doesn't get lost.

It's already done.

--

Date:
On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 16:58 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 18:38 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> > Thanks, Guillaume. It's ticket 386, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  Could you also add shortcut keys while you're at it?
>
> Any ideas what shortcut keys you would like? I have six items:
>
>  * Refresh (Ctrl-R?)
>  * Copy query (Ctrl-Shift-C)
>  * Cancel query (Ctrl-R?)
>  * Terminate backend (Suppr?)
>  * Commit prepared transaction
>  * Rollback prepared transaction
>
> >  That would be more useful than the menu items
> > themselves. And it may be worth mentioning the whole "clear selection"
> > thing in the ticket so it doesn't get lost.
> >

> It's already done.

BTW, if you want to test it, it's available on my github repository
(https://github.com/gleu/pgadmin3.git), on the "ticket386" branch.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: See full query text in Server Status window

From
Evan Martin
Date:
I think Ctrl-R is good for refresh (like Firefox and other browsers) and
Ctrl-Shift-C sounds fine, too.
For Cancel Query I'd suggest "Del" - it "deletes" the process.
For Terminate backend: Shift-Del - it "really delets" it, like pressing
Shift-Del in Windows Explorer bypasses the Recycling Bin.
Not sure about the commit/rollback buttons, but maybe Ctrl-S (save) for
commit and Ctrl-Z (undo) for rollback?

It's not immediately clear what the different between Edit, Copy and
Action, Copy is. Maybe rename Action, Copy to "Copy to query tool" or
something?

I tested the "clear selection" thing. The selection is cleared when the
selected process terminates and the cancel/terminate toolbar buttons
don't do anything then, but they are still enabled. Would be nice to
actually grey them out. Action, Copy also remains enabled and selecting
that causes a segfault.

Date:
On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 23:52 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> I think Ctrl-R is good for refresh (like Firefox and other browsers) and
> Ctrl-Shift-C sounds fine, too.

OK.

> For Cancel Query I'd suggest "Del" - it "deletes" the process.
> For Terminate backend: Shift-Del - it "really delets" it, like pressing
> Shift-Del in Windows Explorer bypasses the Recycling Bin.

OK.

> Not sure about the commit/rollback buttons, but maybe Ctrl-S (save) for
> commit and Ctrl-Z (undo) for rollback?

Ctrl-Z is explicitely to handle undo on the UI. We don't use it here,
but for consistency sake, we won't use it for anything else.

> It's not immediately clear what the different between Edit, Copy and
> Action, Copy is. Maybe rename Action, Copy to "Copy to query tool" or
> something?

Seems fine to me.

> I tested the "clear selection" thing. The selection is cleared when the
> selected process terminates and the cancel/terminate toolbar buttons
> don't do anything then, but they are still enabled. Would be nice to
> actually grey them out. Action, Copy also remains enabled and selecting
> that causes a segfault.

This needs to get fixed. Working on it.

--

Date:
On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 11:57 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 23:52 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> > I think Ctrl-R is good for refresh (like Firefox and other browsers) and
> > Ctrl-Shift-C sounds fine, too.
>
> OK.
>
> > For Cancel Query I'd suggest "Del" - it "deletes" the process.
> > For Terminate backend: Shift-Del - it "really delets" it, like pressing
> > Shift-Del in Windows Explorer bypasses the Recycling Bin.
>
> OK.
>
> > Not sure about the commit/rollback buttons, but maybe Ctrl-S (save) for
> > commit and Ctrl-Z (undo) for rollback?
> >

> Ctrl-Z is explicitely to handle undo on the UI. We don't use it here,
> but for consistency sake, we won't use it for anything else.
>
> > It's not immediately clear what the different between Edit, Copy and
> > Action, Copy is. Maybe rename Action, Copy to "Copy to query tool" or
> > something?
> >

> Seems fine to me.

I can commit this anytime soon. Just tell me if you want to test it
first.

> > I tested the "clear selection" thing. The selection is cleared when the
> > selected process terminates and the cancel/terminate toolbar buttons
> > don't do anything then, but they are still enabled. Would be nice to
> > actually grey them out. Action, Copy also remains enabled and selecting
> > that causes a segfault.
> >

> This needs to get fixed. Working on it.

Fixed. Thanks for your report.

--

Date:
On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 12:17 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 11:57 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 23:52 +1100, Evan Martin wrote:
> > > I think Ctrl-R is good for refresh (like Firefox and other browsers) and
> > > Ctrl-Shift-C sounds fine, too.
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > > For Cancel Query I'd suggest "Del" - it "deletes" the process.
> > > For Terminate backend: Shift-Del - it "really delets" it, like pressing
> > > Shift-Del in Windows Explorer bypasses the Recycling Bin.
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > > Not sure about the commit/rollback buttons, but maybe Ctrl-S (save) for
> > > commit and Ctrl-Z (undo) for rollback?
> > >

> > Ctrl-Z is explicitely to handle undo on the UI. We don't use it here,
> > but for consistency sake, we won't use it for anything else.
> >
> > > It's not immediately clear what the different between Edit, Copy and
> > > Action, Copy is. Maybe rename Action, Copy to "Copy to query tool" or
> > > something?
> > >

> > Seems fine to me.
> >

> I can commit this anytime soon. Just tell me if you want to test it
> first.

Done.

Thanks for your help.