Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
Hi.

I saw this feature in the changelog "Ask to reset connection in the query tool.", so I thought this would be something
Irequested a long time ago, that if connection is lost, the query and the table editing tool would ask to reconnect
insteadof just display an error and then ignore everything.

But I seem to be wrong - the behavior hasn't changed relative to 1.12.x. Did I interpret it incorrectly?

The scenario now is rather unfortunate.

- I have a query tool and a table edit window open.
- While my Mac sleeps, the connection is lost.
- I try to refresh or do anything in the tool or window, and I get an error and I can no longer do anything with these
windows.
- So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
- I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit window again, PgAdmin crashes.

So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.

By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups in the table window should be saved somewhere - at
leastfor the last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start adjusting the columns over again every time
theabove scenario happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was possible, this would be a moot point.

Herouth

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 12:22 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> [...]
> I saw this feature in the changelog "Ask to reset connection in the query tool.", so I thought this would be
somethingI requested a long time ago, that if connection is lost, the query and the table editing tool would ask to
reconnectinstead of just display an error and then ignore everything.

> But I seem to be wrong - the behavior hasn't changed relative to 1.12.x. Did I interpret it incorrectly?

Works great for me.

> The scenario now is rather unfortunate.
>
> - I have a query tool and a table edit window open.

The Edit grid has not changed. Only the query tool has this feature for
1.14.

> - While my Mac sleeps, the connection is lost.
> - I try to refresh or do anything in the tool or window, and I get an error and I can no longer do anything with
thesewindows.

What does the query tool tell you when you execute your query? nothing
like "Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?"?

> - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
> - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit window again, PgAdmin crashes.
>
> So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.

Dont know what happens but it shouldn't crash.

You should probably describe your issue with more details.

> By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups in the table window should be saved somewhere - at
leastfor the last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start adjusting the columns over again every time
theabove scenario happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was possible, this would be a moot point.

As already said, only the query tool (not the edit tool) has this
feature.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

On 07/06/2011, at 22:38, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

What does the query tool tell you when you execute your query? nothing
like "Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?"?

I run the query, and I get this:

before or while processing the request.

When I try to run it again, I get

no connection to the server

- So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
- I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit window again, PgAdmin crashes.

So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.

Dont know what happens but it shouldn't crash.

You should probably describe your issue with more details.

What details were missing from my description? I gave a step-by-step description of what I did.

By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups in the table window should be saved somewhere - at least for the last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start adjusting the columns over again every time the above scenario happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was possible, this would be a moot point.

As already said, only the query tool (not the edit tool) has this
feature.

Is there a reason why to support it only in the query tool? I think all tools should have the ability to recover from server disconnections, especially since they require fine tuning again and again.

Date:
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 21:07 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> On 07/06/2011, at 22:38, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>

> > What does the query tool tell you when you execute your query?
> > nothing
> > like "Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?"?
> >

> I run the query, and I get this:

> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
>

> When I try to run it again, I get
>

> no connection to the server
>

> > > - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the
> > > database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
> > > - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit
> > > window again, PgAdmin crashes.
> > >
> > > So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.
> > >

> > Dont know what happens but it shouldn't crash.
> >
> > You should probably describe your issue with more details.
> >

> What details were missing from my description? I gave a step-by-step
> description of what I did.

Nope. Here are the steps you gave us:

> - I have a query tool and a table edit window open.
> - While my Mac sleeps, the connection is lost.
> - I try to refresh or do anything in the tool or window, and I get an
> error and I can no longer do anything with these windows.

What is "do anything"? because if I try to run the query another time
(still query tool only), pgAdmin asks me if I want to reconnect. I say
yes, and I have to run the query another time to get the results.

> - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the
> database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
> - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit
> window again, PgAdmin crashes.

If I follow these steps, I don't have the issue. It works all the time.
Meaning, something is probably missing in your steps.

> > > By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups
> > > in the table window should be saved somewhere - at least for the
> > > last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start
> > > adjusting the columns over again every time the above scenario
> > > happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was
> > > possible, this would be a moot point.
> > >

> > As already said, only the query tool (not the edit tool) has this
> > feature.
> >

> Is there a reason why to support it only in the query tool?

Yeah, time missing.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
Look, it's very simple, there are two separate problems here.

1. In the query tool, I don't get any questions asked. Just error messages in the message area, no alerts, not
anything.I'd attach a screen capture but it's over 42M for just a few frames, I don't have video expertise enough to
makeit smaller. But I feel strange that I have to provide proof anyways. It's very simple. I click the "run query"
button,and I get the errors that I mentioned below. That's it.

2. In the table tool, it of course doesn't ask me anything. I get it - it isn't supposed to. It just gives me error
messages.Fine, but then I close the query tool and the table tool, bring up the main window, try to reconnect (I first
refreshthe existing connection, it then tells me it lost the connection and asks to re-connect. I allow it to
reconnect.It refreshes the connection) - and then it either gets stuck in watch-cursor and behaves funny (e.g. I can
bringup a table window but I can't resize the columns) or - more often than not - it crashes completely.

So one problem is that the query tool is not allowing me to reconnect. Another problem is that pgAdmin crashes after I
reconnecta disconnected connection in the main window.

I am not hiding any steps from you. This is the full and complete information that I have!

Date:
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 11:48 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> Look, it's very simple, there are two separate problems here.
>
> 1. In the query tool, I don't get any questions asked. Just error messages in the message area, no alerts, not
anything.I'd attach a screen capture but it's over 42M for just a few frames, I don't have video expertise enough to
makeit smaller. But I feel strange that I have to provide proof anyways. It's very simple. I click the "run query"
button,and I get the errors that I mentioned below. That's it.

> 2. In the table tool, it of course doesn't ask me anything. I get it - it isn't supposed to. It just gives me error
messages.Fine, but then I close the query tool and the table tool, bring up the main window, try to reconnect (I first
refreshthe existing connection, it then tells me it lost the connection and asks to re-connect. I allow it to
reconnect.It refreshes the connection) - and then it either gets stuck in watch-cursor and behaves funny (e.g. I can
bringup a table window but I can't resize the columns) or - more often than not - it crashes completely.

> So one problem is that the query tool is not allowing me to reconnect. Another problem is that pgAdmin crashes after
Ireconnect a disconnected connection in the main window.

> I am not hiding any steps from you. This is the full and complete information that I have!

I don't reproduce it when I follow your steps. I don't know what more I
could say.

--

Date:
On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 22:39 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> Maybe the attached crash report would help, at least for the crash scenario?

Nope, there's nothing related to pgAdmin. Some lines on wxWidgets and
Mac OS X, but that's all.

--

Date:
On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 11:10 -0500, Belbin, Peter wrote:
> Guillaume,
>
> Are you accessing a remote, network connected server for your testing?

Nope.

> If so, are you causing a network outage by disconnecting your network connection?

Nope.

All I can do is a fast stop of postgres. Which does the same. Connection
is drop without notice.

> I have been seeing for a long time, on windows clients, that pgAdmin does not behave very nicely when, for any
reason,the connection is no longer up.

> The reason for the connection not being up is typically that I am accessing a database that is remote, and
potentiallysitting behind at least a couple of layers of firewall or nat, which have their own ideas about how long to
allowa connection mappings across them valid and functioning, so it's not really something I have direct control over,
andin any case, we're talking about how pgAdmin reacts to such an occurrence, not how to avoid the problem.

> The bottom line is that in windows, when pgAdmin discovers that the connection has been broken, pgAdmin most often
endsup having to be killed off and restarted.  I've even gotten to the point of not even trying to have it attempt to
reconnect,because it seems that this can fail as well.

> This issue appears to affect not only the table edit grid tool, but the main app as well.  Not sure about the sql
querytool.

> Either way, the problem as a whole is quite annoying when it happens.
>
> Don't get me wrong, pgAdmin is great! But, this is one of it's rough edges.

I understand that. But I have no answer for you.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
"Bob McConnell"
From: Guillaume Lelarge

> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 11:10 -0500, Belbin, Peter wrote:
>> Guillaume,
>>
>> Are you accessing a remote, network connected server for your
testing?

> Nope.
>
>> If so, are you causing a network outage by disconnecting your network
connection?

> Nope.
>
> All I can do is a fast stop of postgres. Which does the same.
Connection
> is drop without notice.
>
>> I have been seeing for a long time, on windows clients, that pgAdmin
does not behave very nicely when, for any reason, the connection is no
longer up.

>> The reason for the connection not being up is typically that I am
accessing a database that is remote, and potentially sitting behind at
least a couple of layers of firewall or nat, which have their own ideas
about how long to allow a connection mappings across them valid and
functioning, so it's not really something I have direct control over,
and in any case, we're talking about how pgAdmin reacts to such an
occurrence, not how to avoid the problem.

>> The bottom line is that in windows, when pgAdmin discovers that the
connection has been broken, pgAdmin most often ends up having to be
killed off and restarted.  I've even gotten to the point of not even
trying to have it attempt to reconnect, because it seems that this can
fail as well.

>> This issue appears to affect not only the table edit grid tool, but
the main app as well.  Not sure about the sql query tool.

>> Either way, the problem as a whole is quite annoying when it happens.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, pgAdmin is great! But, this is one of it's rough
edges.

> I understand that. But I have no answer for you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of MS-Windows. I have seen the same
issues for a number of Microsoft based applications. The worst case is
shared drives mapped across a busy network. It can take Windows Explorer
hours to figure out that a drive connection is no longer usable, and
every application running on the client suffers from the delays in the
meantime.

We are currently troubleshooting this problem with COM+/DCOM connections
at a client site. Like your description, theirs seems to be due to
firewalls that drop connections from their state tables long before the
applications even think about closing them. Even with keep-alives
enabled and set to a ridiculous frequency, they won't stay up.

Bob McConnell

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Herouth Maoz

> Welcome to the wonderful world of MS-Windows. I have seen the same
> issues for a number of Microsoft based applications. The worst case is
> shared drives mapped across a busy network. It can take Windows Explorer
> hours to figure out that a drive connection is no longer usable, and
> every application running on the client suffers from the delays in the
> meantime.

However, the pgAdmin crash/loss of reliability has nothing to do with Ms-Windows. This happens to me on a Mac.

Herouth

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Tim Uckun
Date:
> However, the pgAdmin crash/loss of reliability has nothing to do with Ms-Windows. This happens to me on a Mac.

I want to report that it also happens on linux.

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
"Belbin, Peter"
Date:
[...]

Regards,
Peter.

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 11:48 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> Look, it's very simple, there are two separate problems here.
>
> 1. In the query tool, I don't get any questions asked. Just error messages in the message area, no alerts, not
anything.I'd attach a screen capture but it's over 42M for just a few frames, I don't have video expertise enough to
makeit smaller. But I feel strange that I have to provide proof anyways. It's very simple. I click the "run query"
button,and I get the errors that I mentioned below. That's it.

> 2. In the table tool, it of course doesn't ask me anything. I get it - it isn't supposed to. It just gives me error
messages.Fine, but then I close the query tool and the table tool, bring up the main window, try to reconnect (I first
refreshthe existing connection, it then tells me it lost the connection and asks to re-connect. I allow it to
reconnect.It refreshes the connection) - and then it either gets stuck in watch-cursor and behaves funny (e.g. I can
bringup a table window but I can't resize the columns) or - more often than not - it crashes completely.

> So one problem is that the query tool is not allowing me to reconnect. Another problem is that pgAdmin crashes after
Ireconnect a disconnected connection in the main window.

> I am not hiding any steps from you. This is the full and complete information that I have!

I don't reproduce it when I follow your steps. I don't know what more I
could say.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
It happens to me on windows as well. If I lose the connection in query window and I try to run the query two (maybe three) times without reconnecting via the object browser, PgAdmin crashes.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, the pgAdmin crash/loss of reliability has nothing to do with Ms-Windows. This happens to me on a Mac.

I want to report that it also happens on linux.

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> It happens to me on windows as well. If I lose the connection in query
> window and I try to run the query two (maybe three) times without
> reconnecting via the object browser, PgAdmin crashes.

In 1.14?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
My mistake, I am running 1.12. I didn't realize people were taking about the 1.14 beta. Sorry.<br /><br /><div
class="gmail_quote">OnFri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Dave Page <span dir="ltr"><<a
style="margin:00 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Michael Shapiro
<<ahref="mailto:mshapiro51@gmail.com">mshapiro51@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br /> > It happens to me on windows as
well.If I lose the connection in query<br /> > window and I try to run the query two (maybe three) times without<br
/>Twitter: @pgsnake<br /><br /> EnterpriseDB UK: <a href="http://www.enterprisedb.com"
target="_blank">http://www.enterprisedb.com</a><br/> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<br

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I installed 1.14 beta and replicated the disconnect.
1.14 handled it fine. It asked me if I wanted to reconnect, and then ran the query fine.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> It happens to me on windows as well. If I lose the connection in query
> window and I try to run the query two (maybe three) times without
> reconnecting via the object browser, PgAdmin crashes.

In 1.14?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Tim Uckun
Date:
Hey guys.

I have had the misfortune  to try and work with pgadmin 1.12 on a
remote database for the last couple of days and experience has been
miserable to say the least.  It frequently lost connection to the
database, even pulling up ten or twenty records caused it to throw
fits and lock up so I had to restart it.  Honestly it was unusable.  I
lost track of how many times I had to kill -9 the app because it could
not perform even the simples query without locking up tight. Once it
locks up it stays locked up for many minutes with a completely blank
window which does not refresh. After several minutes it comes up
saying it lost connection and at that stage all you can do is to shut
it off because it won't reconnect and go on.

Oddly enough I was able to use psql to connect to the database and run
the queries, examine the tables etc without problems but of course I
missed all the nice things you get with pgadmin.

The reason I am using 1.12 is because there are no debs or a PPA for
1.14 and 1.14 requires some libs that are not in the main repos for
maverick.  I hope to upgrade ubuntu this weekend and will try
installing 1.14 at this time.

I know many people have blamed routers of firewalls for this problem
but I am pretty sure that's not the problem. I can use psql just fine,
I an use sqlyog to connect to mysql on the same machine just fine. I
don't lose connection to the machine using tora or other tools.

Just wanted to let you know.

Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
My experience with lost connections is other tools also lose the connection (eg, psql, Dbvisualizer). It is either
Postgresitself dropping the connection or something between the me and the database, but I am certain it isn't PgAdmin
itself.<br/><br />The problem with 1.12 was crashes when connections were lost. 1.14 seems to have fixed the problem
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hey guys.<br /><br /> I have
hadthe misfortune  to try and work with pgadmin 1.12 on a<br /> remote database for the last couple of days and
experiencehas been<br /> miserable to say the least.  It frequently lost connection to the<br /> database, even pulling
upten or twenty records caused it to throw<br /> fits and lock up so I had to restart it.  Honestly it was unusable.
 I<br/> lost track of how many times I had to kill -9 the app because it could<br /> not perform even the simples query
withoutlocking up tight. Once it<br /> locks up it stays locked up for many minutes with a completely blank<br />
windowwhich does not refresh. After several minutes it comes up<br /> saying it lost connection and at that stage all
toconnect to the database and run<br /> the queries, examine the tables etc without problems but of course I<br />
missedall the nice things you get with pgadmin.<br /><br /> The reason I am using 1.12 is because there are no debs or
aPPA for<br /> 1.14 and 1.14 requires some libs that are not in the main repos for<br /> maverick.  I hope to upgrade
offirewalls for this problem<br /> but I am pretty sure that's not the problem. I can use psql just fine,<br /> I an
usesqlyog to connect to mysql on the same machine just fine. I<br /> don't lose connection to the machine using tora or