Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 21:07 +0300, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> On 07/06/2011, at 22:38, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>

> > What does the query tool tell you when you execute your query?
> > nothing
> > like "Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?"?
> >

> I run the query, and I get this:

> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
>

> When I try to run it again, I get
>

> no connection to the server
>

> > > - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the
> > > database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
> > > - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit
> > > window again, PgAdmin crashes.
> > >
> > > So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.
> > >

> > Dont know what happens but it shouldn't crash.
> >
> > You should probably describe your issue with more details.
> >

> What details were missing from my description? I gave a step-by-step
> description of what I did.

Nope. Here are the steps you gave us:

> - I have a query tool and a table edit window open.
> - While my Mac sleeps, the connection is lost.
> - I try to refresh or do anything in the tool or window, and I get an
> error and I can no longer do anything with these windows.

What is "do anything"? because if I try to run the query another time
(still query tool only), pgAdmin asks me if I want to reconnect. I say
yes, and I have to run the query another time to get the results.

> - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the
> database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
> - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit
> window again, PgAdmin crashes.

If I follow these steps, I don't have the issue. It works all the time.
Meaning, something is probably missing in your steps.

> > > By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups
> > > in the table window should be saved somewhere - at least for the
> > > last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start
> > > adjusting the columns over again every time the above scenario
> > > happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was
> > > possible, this would be a moot point.
> > >

> > As already said, only the query tool (not the edit tool) has this
> > feature.
> >

> Is there a reason why to support it only in the query tool?

Yeah, time missing.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com